The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1
TennJed

Bullseye Powder 357 lead load (new to reloading)

Guys I am just getting started with reloading. Thanks to some info I found in another thread I have a Lee Classic Reloader in .357 magnum (don't quite have the $$ for a press yet)

I am able to use some supplies from a friend.

Franklin Arsenal Digital Scale
Bullseye Powder
CCI 550 sm pistol primers
125 gr Semi Wadcutter hard cast lead bullets
125 gr Flat Point DS Plated bullets from Berrys.

I have Lymans Reloading manual. They do not list these exect bullets, but they do list Bullyseye for some of the 357 mags.

Would a 7gr load be a good start? I suggest this based on Lymans bullyseye listing for:

125 gr jacketed HP 6.5 gr start 8.6 gr max.
120 gr linotype 1.585' oal 5.7 start 8.0 max
120 gr linotype 1.590' oal 6.5 start 8.30 max

Do you think 7gr would be safe to shoot? Right now I am not as concerned about velocity and accuracy as I am about just getting my feet wet.

I will be shooting from either a Ruger Stainless Blackhawk 6.5"; Ruger Blued Blackhawk 6.5", or a Ruger sp101 2.25"

Thanks
Old May 4, 2011, 09:42 PM   #2
reloader28

I think you would be good to start with around 7gr.
You could work up or down from there depending on how hard the lead is.
Hopefully they are sized big enough for your barrel.
This is for the lead boolits as I aint shot any plated ones.
Old May 4, 2011, 09:48 PM   #3
gspman

tennjed I dont have a cast bullet manual in front of me but those loads seem hot to me.I would research more and definately not use those cci550 mag primers.Get some standard primers for bullseye.I looked in my alliant manuel and they dont list bullseye with 125 grn bullets jacketed or lead.158grn lead they list 4.8grn bullseye max, so that again tells me your info is hot.38spl 125jacketed shows4.5 max.Plus p at 4.8.start low and work up and dont load very many until know what you got.GSPMAN
Old May 4, 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

I agree - ditch the mag primers and use regular ones.
My favorite .357 plinking load is 4.7 grs bullseye under a 125 gr mastercast.net flat point.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:08 PM   #5
TennJed

Thanks for the info. Got a question (as I am learning). What is the difference in the CCI 550 mag primers and others.

Lymans Manual uses the CCI 550 primers for its .357 data. Why would I want to switch (not at all questioning your suggestions, just trying to learn).
Old May 4, 2011, 10:09 PM   #6
reloader28

I do want to add that my info came from the new Lyman cast bullet book and they used mag primers in all 357mag loads. My home cast boolits have been running very comparable to this book.

6.5gr Bullseye = 994fps = 18,800 pressure
8.3gr Bullseye = 1390fps = 37600 pressure
Old May 4, 2011, 10:22 PM   #7
TennJed

Thanks All I have is Lyman 49th edition and that is where I came up with 7grs from. They also use the mag primers.

I defiantly want to be safe and do not want to hurt myself or my GUNS!
Old May 5, 2011, 12:00 AM   #8
gspman

tenjed mag primers are used for hard to light ball powders.usually slow burners like h110/296.bullseye is a fast flake type powder that is easy to light .It surprises me that your book lists it that way.they will work but will generate higher pressures than std primers.GSPMAN
Old May 5, 2011, 02:03 AM   #9
joneb

I have loaded various cast and plated bullets for my 2.75" 357 mag. Ruger Sec Six using Bullseye with standard primers. I like Bullseye for its flexibility, with mild, medium or hot loads it is very consistent.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:21 AM   #10
AlaskaMike

TennJed wrote:
Quote:
Why would I want to switch?
There are two competing schools of thought with primers that I've observed--one is to use magnum primers in magnum cartridges, regardless of powder type or charge weight. The other is to match the primer type with the powder type.

I'm definitely in the "match the primer to the powder" camp--the "magnum primers for magnum cartridges" philosophy just seems a little silly to me.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely reasons to use magnum primers with powders that are easy to light. For example, small charge weights of fast powder can sometimes be more consistent using mag primers. Also, mag primers can improve consistency and reliability in extreme cold weather.

But to say "I don't give a rat's hiney about any other factors--I'm loading .357 magnum, so I need magnum primers" seems to me to ignore much of what handloading is all about.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:31 AM   #11
tom234

I wouldn't recommend Bullseye powder for .357; get a slower burning powder like Unique, Herco, or Blue Dot. [Also AA #5 or 7] You can load light bullets with these powders as well as heavy bullets in magnum loads. That said, I use Herco almost exclusively for mid range and heavy loads in .38, .357 mag, .40 S&W, 10mm with good results.
.44 mag, and .45 ACP.
IMHO going with Magnum primers is better. They generally cost the same as standard primers and many .357 magnum loads call for mag primers so you won't have to buy 2 kinds of primers.

Last edited by tom234; May 5, 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:42 AM   #12
E.J.W.

TennJed,
I've reloaded 357 for some 20 plus years and haven't needed a magnum primer yet for plinking to mild lead loads.
I'm also in with Tom234 on Bullseye not being my first choice powder.
I have a S&W that I used to shoot a Bullseye powder load in competition.
In a very short time it developed a cutting of the top strap above the cylinder/barrel gap. My "smith" checked the gap and found it to be good.
I changed to Hercules Unique, it was a bit slower burning but very dirty.
I have not gone back to Unique since Alliant took over Hercules. Next I tried AA5 but did not get good accuracy out of it so I moved on to Hogdon's Universal Clays which is so far the cleanest yet with great accuracy.
Anyway, the slower powders stopped the top strap cutting.
Just something to keep an eye on when using Bullseye.
Good luck.
E.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:57 AM   #13
Marco Califo

357 Magnum vs. 357 SIG are different

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx

They make your powder. Annoyingly, they do not list many cast loads in any caliber.

357 Magnum
• 158 gr Speer LSWC
• Bullseye
• CCI 500
Minimum OAL(inches) Bbl Length Primer Powder Charge Weight
grains) Velocity
(fps)
1.57 6 CCI 500 Bullseye
4.8 939

I would look at as many loadings as you can find. I would feel safe using this 158 gr LSWC load with a lighter bullet.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:04 PM   #14
Marco Califo

One other thing

Bullseye has been the predominant powder for 38/357 target reloads, and many other handgun cartridges, for a very long time. I do not have current stats available, but read somewhere (around 1985 every police range used 148 gr wadcutters ahead of x.x gr of Bullseye) that the vast quanities of Bullseye sold and used was more than all other competing powders combined.

I point that out because Bullseye, while a fantastic target load powder, is NOT a magnum load "go-to" powder.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:45 PM   #15
mikld

Until you get a few thousand rounds under your belt, go with what your Lyman manual suggests. You won't go wrong. Yep there are better combinations than Bullseye and Mag. primers, but if that's what you have and Lyman has a listed load, us them, but I'd suggest you stay on the light side, prolly around 5.5 to 6.0 gr. Also shooting lead, slug the bore and cylinder throats and shoot bullets the same size as the throats and larger than groove diameter. Mebbe jacketed bullets would be an easier "starting out" bullet for your needs.
Old May 5, 2011, 06:53 PM   #16
Sevens

I'll be like the fifth guy to suggest you find a different powder than Bullseye for true .357 Magnum loads.

Bullseye is a fast-burner (one of the fastest you can buy) and for light target loads, it works well with a very light charge weight.

What happens when you use a fast burning powder in heavier charge weights to try and make a magnum load is that the pressure ramps up in a BIG hurry. You will have high pressure loads, as high in pressure (or higher) than proper .357 Magnum loads, but you won't get the bullet velocity that comes with using the right powder.

So you'll have all the BANG, all the stress to your firearms and your brass, without the performance of a true magnum load. And if you should make an error and accidentally put too much powder in, there's no wiggle room at the max like a proper, slower burning powder. You can go from "max" to "overload" with very little warning when you are using a fast burning powder.

Titegroup is another one to avoid for loads of this nature.

The .357 Magnum powder I like to use? Alliant's 2400. It won't get every last drop of velocity out of the cartridge (like H110 will) but it meters beautifully, gives great velocity and doesn't require a magnum primer. It's a smooth, easy pressure curve. I like it a lot.

Put the Bullseye away and use it for light target loads, and find a better powder for the job.
Old May 5, 2011, 08:41 PM   #17
nogo

Always keep this fact in mind: Less powder is required for the fast powders to reach desired velocity. Therefore, it is VERY EASY to double charge a case by error. Fast powder and magnum loads leave no room for mistakes in metering.

Use the Bull for target--it's great.