The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2011, 11:26 AM   #26
highvel

Brass is like reloader's gold, anything goes,except maybe picking pockets!
+1 on a kid, they are a lot more nimble and most times enjoy the heck out of it!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old April 24, 2011, 12:54 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

Quote:
+1 on a kid, they are a lot more nimble and most times enjoy the heck out of it!
If my brothers and I hit a "gold mine" in the desert or mountains, we pay the kids 1 cent per piece of brass, for any brass case they pick up (including berdan and rimfire); but we deduct 3 cents for each piece of steel or aluminum. Now that they're getting older and "wiser", I think we'll have to increase the rate to more like 5 cents per good piece, and deduct 10 cents for bad pieces. It's not like we're paying them, anyway. They always pick up too many steel cases, and end up in the hole!

You have to watch one of Cornbush's kids, though. She'll steal live .22 LR ammo from your stash, and try to sell it back to you at 1 cent per round.
Old April 25, 2011, 04:23 AM   #28
Nevmavrick

I used to go to the county range, but the "range nazi" got to be too much. I've known the guy for thirty years and he gets worse every day. We've had deputies doin' the job from time to time, and usually they're alright. Anyway, this guy took over and we're going to have to wait 'til he retires from the county. I think he's been run off from everything he's tried(for the county)
The county policy, according to him, is if it hits the ground (unless it is really YOURS) it belongs to the county. Community service people come around and pick up whatever's on the ground, and in the provided buckets, and pour them into barrels that are behind lock and key. THOSE are then sold to scrap dealers that are not allowed to sell brass as cases, only "deactivated" brass.
The "range nazi" is anal about it, too.
I now go out into the hills, and seek places where others have been, trying to get there before the 'brass seekers' do. They pay for their 4-wheelin' hobby by "junking" brass.
I've got over 5K each of .40 S&W and .45ACP, and have never bought a case to reload. I wish I could find some WWs the same way. I've had to buy that.
Have fun,
Gene
Old April 25, 2011, 07:29 AM   #29
kalevatom

During the winter we shoot at an indoor range and we're not shy about collecting brass. We just ask others if they save their brass. Most of the time they'll sweep it up and put it in our brass bag after we ask them. During the summer we shoot at our own range. Been thinking about getting one of those nut pickers.
Old April 25, 2011, 09:36 AM   #30
overkill0084

The 2 places I shoot regularly have no problem with me "policing" the brass on the ground. It has to go somewhere.
I was told as long as I don't bring a shop vac and try to collect it all, nobody is likely to give me any problems.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old April 26, 2011, 05:53 PM   #31
kxkid

Or you can do like I do and get it from your buddy that works at the range that collects it to turn in. Heck I even get it sorted.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:28 PM   #32
Marco Califo

The better mousetrap

I took pictures of the gizmo my range uses. I used it today when no one was looking and scooped up my brass and a lot of 9mm from some guys who were shooting a few lanes down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picker1.jpg (121.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Picker2.jpg (211.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Picker3.jpg (148.9 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Marco Califo; May 5, 2011 at 07:35 PM.