The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2011, 04:35 PM   #1
wuluf

Reloading with no room

Here's my bench:

Our house is 1050 sf, and the garage is stuffed too. I found "plans" to bolt a Lee single stage press to a Black & Decker Workmate which folds nicely. I keep powder in the house, everything else is in the garage in tubs, by caliber until i need it.. Works for me...
Old April 17, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Nice setup.

Do you prime on-press or with a separate primer? I did not see the hand primer, nor the usual primer "pez dispenser" primer feed.

Do you dismount the press when folding the workbench for storage or leave it bolted on?

Do you have any problems with air drafts from the window affecting your scale?

You have a nice setup there. Good photography, too. Thanks for sharing with us.

Lost Sheep
Old April 17, 2011, 05:13 PM   #3
wuluf

Quote:
Do you prime on-press or with a separate primer? I did not see the hand primer, nor the usual primer "pez dispenser" primer feed.
Lee Auto Prime while watching TV

Quote:
Do you dismount the press when folding the workbench for storage or leave it bolted on?
Press stays bolted on, i just tighten it every once in a while

Quote:
Do you have any problems with air drafts from the window affecting your scale?
Sometimes! There's another window to my left, behind the laptop, and a vent for the Heat/AC under the desk. i can adjust the thermostat or close the windows as needed..

I got most of my info on setup here and elsewhere on the 'net, happy to share and help someone else!
Old April 17, 2011, 09:37 PM   #4
shootniron

I do not really reload in a limited space but I have actually gone from a stationary bench to a rolling computer cart for my reloading as it gets hot reloading in the garage during summer and with this cart I can just roll it into the house to reload in the comfort of A/C. I have four presses, 2 progressives, 1 turret and 1 single stage mounted to the cart and it is as stable as can be. I actually ran 5/4 deck boards along the edges to mount the presses on.

I know it sounds kind of crazy and probably looks goofy, but we reload over 5k rounds per year on it without a problem and it was bought for $20.00. Also, it has some storage for components, but I retained my shelves for components in the garage when I dismantled the stationary bench.

Last edited by shootniron; April 17, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old April 17, 2011, 11:00 PM   #5
chris in va

I sit in my Lay-z-boy and reload while watching TV. Seriously.
Old April 17, 2011, 11:19 PM   #6
45K20E4

My office has a small 5x5 closet, and I keep all my reloading gear in there on a small cabinet/counter I got from Lowe's. Soon the wood shelves are coming down and I plan to put up modular shelving for more space.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun Room.JPG (51.9 KB, 1039 views)
Old April 17, 2011, 11:35 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

When I was living temporarily in a 600 sq ft apartment in NY, I bolted my press to our entertainment center. The wife wasn't happy about the holes, but understood it was my only choice. I kept my components, powder, primers, and other tools inside one of the storage areas in the entertainment center (was isolated from the TV enough that heat and static weren't an issue).
Old April 18, 2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

Set up looks OK to me. We do what we can with what we have.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:42 AM   #9
MrWesson

When I started we had an old end table we didn't need. I butchered and bolted it to a stud in the closet .
Old April 18, 2011, 08:47 AM   #10
abber

Quote:
Soon the wood shelves are coming down and I plan to put up modular shelving for more space.
I guess once you get all set up, you won't ever want to come out of the closet....
Old April 18, 2011, 09:00 AM   #11
spacecoast

I wish I had a dedicated corner or a Workmate that I could afford to leave up. All my stuff, including my hand press, fits into drawers in my L-shaped desk and a small filing cabinet in my office (along with a lot of other non-reloading related files and such). When the drawers are shut, as they normally are, there's no indication at all that it's a place where reloading is done. 11K rounds the last 18 months.

Last edited by spacecoast; April 18, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old April 18, 2011, 09:07 AM   #12
Coyote WT

Brilliant!

My dad just gave me his pressing/reloading gear. He has a full garage that he's converted to his knife work shop and I have, well I gots nothin'. I had no clue how I was going to set up a work station in my house. The portable work bench is a perfect solution. Thanks for sharing your solution.

Coyote WT
Old April 18, 2011, 09:18 AM   #13
Snakedriver

That's my set-up exactly and it works great! I used to have everything out in the garage where it was 180 degrees most of the time, then I figured out I could rig a mobile set-up like yours and move it inside to the air conditioned man-cave. Makes it all much more tolerable when the sweat isn't running down into your eyes. I like it!
Old April 18, 2011, 01:55 PM   #14
wuluf

Coyote, here's the link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5221731_make...-portable.html
Old April 21, 2011, 08:20 PM   #15
feets

I have an old Lee Challenger press bolted to a short piece of 2x4 stud. When it's time to load, I slap it on the desk and secure it with a couple C clamps.
It's worked great for thousands of rounds from 45 ACP to 300 WM.
Old April 22, 2011, 06:34 AM   #16
wwmkwood

I had all of my reloading gear bolted to 2X4s that I just clamped into the Workmate. I still use the workmate that way, vise, grinder, ect.. bolted to 2X4s in the garage. everything stores on shelves out of the way.
Old April 25, 2011, 07:58 AM   #17
Bleeber

Great solution to a similar problem of mine. Those who reload, or store their stuff, in the garage...does it effect the loads, components at all (other than the potential for rust)? I wonder if going back and forth from cool to hot would create condensation in powder, effect load charge, etc.

Thanks!!
Old April 25, 2011, 09:25 AM   #18
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeber
Great solution to a similar problem of mine. Those who reload, or store their stuff, in the garage...does it effect the loads, components at all (other than the potential for rust)? I wonder if going back and forth from cool to hot would create condensation in powder, effect load charge, etc.
I reload in the garage and haven't noticed a problem. As long as the powder containers are tightly closed, humidity shouldn't affect it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 28, 2011, 07:21 PM   #19
Bleeber

Glad to hear that. I miss reloading and could easily start again if I did it in my garage.
Old April 28, 2011, 08:05 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I wonder if going back and forth from cool to hot would create condensation in powder, effect load charge, etc.
It takes rapid, massive temperature changes for condensation to be an issue in a sealed powder container.

However, those temperature swings will cause the powder to degrade more quickly. Powder stored at high temperature (say 80+ degrees F) will also degrade more quickly than powder stored at more reasonable temperatures (50-70 F).

Yet, it is humidity that causes issues with primers. Humidity swings are even worse.

General rules, in simple terms:
Keep primers cool, DRY, and out of sunlight. Avoid HUMIDITY swings as much as possible.
Keep powders COOL, dry, and out of sunlight. Avoid TEMPERATURE swings as much as possible.

If you keep your powder and primers in the same place, that means you need a place with both a stable humidity level, and a stable temperature.

Me? I keep mine in a closet under a stairwell. The humidity runs about 20% year round, and the temperature is an unwavering 62 degrees all year. When I didn't have such an ideal storage area, I did the best I could. (Stay far away from kitchens and bathrooms!)
Old April 29, 2011, 07:39 AM   #21
tlm225

Looks like you've adapted to your environment. When I started loading over 30 years ago it was with a Lee Loader. All my equipment fit into the space of a shoe box. It was slow but got me started.
Old April 29, 2011, 08:10 AM   #22
stu925

I was just talking to someone at work the other day who was telling me he had no room for a reloading area. I am now going to point him towards this post. There's some very good methods discussed here, thanks for sharing. I had to go another route and put up an 11'x14' shed to use as an all around workshop. Insulated, ran electric, and put in an infrared propane heater, seems like no matter how much room I have it's never enough though.

Stu
Old April 29, 2011, 09:58 AM   #23
Bleeber

Thanks for the info, Franken. Storing in the house is no problem for all of my equipment, just not set up. I think I'll start looking at purchasing some powder and primers, bullets, etc. and load a bit. Then bring everything inside and see how it works out.

Thanks!!
Old April 29, 2011, 11:24 AM   #24
mikld

Looks good! I reloaded on a similar set-up for several years before I moved to a place where I had a dedicated reloading room. My set-up differed in that I bolted my press to a scrap piece of counter top (screwed a 2x4 to the bottom) and then clamped the counter top in the Workmate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my bench.jpg (3.6 KB, 111 views)
Old May 1, 2011, 01:04 AM   #25
Fullthrottle

What ever it takes! Glad to see you are reloading.