The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 13, 2010, 07:52 PM   #26
spacecoast

OP -

A little looking revealed this page for Florida - http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/stats/cw_monthly.html

With an adult population of around 15 million, that would mean that about 1 in 20 is legally licensed to carry. It's doubtful that anywhere near that many carry 100% of the time, I know I don't because I can't carry at work. Assuming it's 50%, that would make it more like 1 in 40. With the current restrictions (http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/wea...ossession.html), including sporting events not related to firearms, it may be considerably less than that.

Just my back-of-napkin math, I'd be interested in seeing the basis of your 1 in 15 estimate.
Old December 13, 2010, 08:09 PM   #27
raftman

I couldn't find any official numbers, but then I didn't look very hard. Assuming the number of CHL's has grown at the same rate as the population, knowing what number my CHL is and when I got it, in relation to what the state population was estimated to be at the time, I came up with a little over 1.4% of the adult population having a CHL. As far as how many of those people actually carry on a regular basis, I have not the slightest idea.
Old December 15, 2010, 01:18 PM   #28
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

Here's some interesting statistics I found with a net search; NOTE statistics are from 1998, I haven't found anything more recent - maybe need to rephrase search question:

After crunching through the 2000 Census and 2003 Census estimates, the numbers in Chris Bird's Fourth Edition "The Concealed Handgun Manual", some official sources online which are a little more current, and filling in a few gaps from a 1998 CCRKBA report, the winners are:

Percent of Adults with a License to Carry in each Shall Issue State

7.45% South Dakota
6.79% Indiana
6.76% Pennsylvania
5.23% Connecticut
5.12% Washington
4.34% Idaho
4.10% Utah
3.86% Oregon
3.45% Tennessee
3.15% Alabama
2.72% Florida
2.71% Kentucky
2.67% Wyoming
2.41% Maine
2.18% Arkansas
2.11% Virginia
1.94% West Virginia
1.76% Arizona
1.75% Oklahoma
1.70% Montana
1.70% Michigan
1.62% Texas
1.39% South Carolina
1.34% North Dakota
1.00% North Carolina
0.86% Mississippi
0.62% Louisiana
0.58% Nevada
0.45% Minnesota
0.36% Missouri
0.33% Ohio
0.20% Colorado
0.17% New Mexico <-- Slight correction 12/22/04, per Ken Grubb

Honorable mentions go to Georgia and New Hampshire. These are "old wave" Shall Issue states--IOW, pre Florida. Because issuance is scattered among many local agencies, no one in either Georgia or New Hampshire is collecting statewide numbers on how many folks are packing. Seems reasonable to place 'em somewhere between the two statistical extremes among the other "old wave" states (South and North Dakota). However, if I were a bettin' man I'd put 'em near the top, and probably above Washington.

Total licensees among the Shall Issue states (excluding Georgia and New
Hampshire):

Total population living in True Right To Carry states (Alaska and Vermont):
1,267,925 (0.44 percent)

Total population living in Shall Issue states:
185,039,207 (63.75 percent)

Total population living in May Issue states:
81,350,620 (28.03 percent)

Total population living in No Issue states:
22,588,641 (7.78 percent)

Ken Grubb
Bellevue, WA
Old December 15, 2010, 04:08 PM   #29
TexRanger

Car Carry

Glenn and JohnKSa,

I know that this is a bit off-topic and certainly if this is derailing the thread, I can direct a PM to you. However, I wondered if the new law to which you referred was the House Bill 1815. Alternately, is there a newer law?

How does this new law relate to the Castle Doctrine? In other words, HB 1815 enumerates situations in which is it lawful to carry a firearm. However, does the new law describe circumstances in which it is lawful to use the firearm which is carried in the car?

Again, I apologize if this is too far off topic.

John
Old December 15, 2010, 08:24 PM   #30
Brian48

I live in MA. We are rarer than Bigfoot around here, but there's a few us around.
Old December 15, 2010, 11:44 PM   #31
JohnKSa
Staff

TexRanger,

I believe that you're correct with the bill number. I don't really remember them that way, I just look it up in the TX online statutes when I need to reference it.

I really haven't dug into TX Castle Doctrine much but it does offer some "protection" for the defender when he is in a vehicle. I haven't looked to verify exactly what the definition of "vehicle" is per 30.01.
Old December 16, 2010, 01:29 AM   #32
toppermost

As a liberal I think that a lot of the people that say "liberals dont like guns" have really failed to make a good case.

I will concede that most anti-gun folks are liberal.

but

Its a illogical fallacy to say: "liberals dont like guns." I think conservatives would be surprised if they polled all liberals on how they feel about guns.

Yes, People that dont like guns do tend to be liberal, but that doesn't mean it is a liberal cause.

See the difference?

There are plenty of things on both sides of politics that only one kind of person believes, that place them squarely outside of the mainstream. I know a lot of conservatives here in Arizona that were shocked when the state decided to let people carry in bars. I know a lot of conservatives that think guns should be kept away from schools. Do they hate guns? Not at all.

PS: I carry concealed every day.

(...and then there is Caifornia, but they are just weird no matter what side you look at it from)
Old December 16, 2010, 09:16 AM   #33
BILLtheDJguy

It was not my intent, to group ALL liberals, in with my assessment.
THere are decent people in all walks of life. You can't contain them all under one label.
I consider myself, mostly conservative, but I share a few views with my liberal conterparts.
I was refering to the anti-gun, gun-haters, who want to construct their idea of this perfect little world, and FORCE everyone else to live in it.
Old December 16, 2010, 10:18 AM   #34
FlyFish

Massachusetts has a tiered licensing system that makes getting definitive data difficult. Handgun licenses can be Class B (not capable of holding greater than 10-round mag and no concealed carry), Class A restricted (any "approved" - which is a whole other thread - handgun, no concealed carry) or Class A unrestricted, which is the true CCW permit. The estimated number of the latter issued across the state is 224,000.

The current population (2010 census) is about 6,600,000 and approximately 72% are adults (21 and older - you must be 21 to apply for a CCW permit), so the number of adults is approximately 4,750,000, which equates to a percentage of CCW holders of 4.7%, or approximately one adult in 21.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:04 AM   #35
Misssissippi Dave

I've not been able to find any data on how many permits have been issued. In Mississippi we can carry in our cars, homes and business without a permit. If it is like complying with the requirement for auto insurance to drive a car on the public roadways I think the number of people carrying concealed here is far higher then the number of permits issued. This is in the larger towns mostly.

The need to provide self protection seems to have increased in recent years. The last time I went for my permit the people there said the number of people requesting a permit has doubled each of the previous years for 3 years. That was a few years ago and I don't see it changing any time soon.
Old December 16, 2010, 05:22 PM   #36
Mike38

Good old Illinois, zero concealed carry allowed.... god I hate this state. :barf:
Old December 16, 2010, 05:45 PM   #37
jhenry

Excellent information, and as good a reason to vote as can be.
Old December 16, 2010, 06:28 PM   #38
Dragline45

Quote:
I live in MA. We are rarer than Bigfoot around here, but there's a few us around
Amen to that. I'm constantly on the lookout for the most concealable method of carry to avoid any printing at all, because from my experience when most people in Massachusetts find out you conceal a firearm they freak out. Trying to reason with them on why I carry is a losing battle, you mention all the recent shootings and armed robberies that have taken place in Massachusetts and they respond with "yeah well it wont happen to you". And they call me the crazy one.
Old December 29, 2010, 11:23 AM   #39
ncpatriot

I'm one of the permit holders in NC. I carry nearly 100% of the time. I can't carry at a a school, so that limits me the 2 weekdays I pick up my kids. I can't even have a gun in the vehicle. I just learned that VA allows vehicle carry at schools. I hope we get to that point. I carry everywhere else that I'm allowed. I usually do not carry into someone else's house, out of respect for them. But I will when working on an unoccupied house in a high crime neighborhood or when working alone. I carry in church, as do several others there.

I carry most of the time at the house. My wife doesn't like OC, so I carry in my pocket at home, cc crossdraw holster away from home. While I'm not paranoid, I know enough crime is out there that sooner or later I will walk into something or it will walk in on me.
Old January 6, 2011, 07:27 PM   #40
HKGuns

I don't carry all the time, one reason is it is a violation of company policy to even have one in your car in the parking lot. I like being employed.
Old January 6, 2011, 07:57 PM   #41
Sport45

I originally got my carry permit so that I could have handguns in the truck if I decided to go to the range after work. At the time TX law allowed carry in a vehicle to and from the range, but not to and from work. The law didn't allow for unloaded and cased handguns either.

I occasionally carry now, but only if I feel circumstances warrant it. I'm not uncomfortabe without a CCW when I decide to leave it at home. It's a right, not an obligation.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:00 PM   #42
youngunz4life

Quote:
The only thing you know for sure is how many permits are outstanding.

The rest is just speculation.
+1

also, many people without permits are packing. I'm not one of them, but I know it happens.
Old January 6, 2011, 08:09 PM   #43
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Quote:
I'm constantly on the lookout for the most concealable method of carry to avoid any printing at all, because from my experience when most people in Massachusetts find out you conceal a firearm they freak out.
Little Rhody is the same, no surprise. Even owning a gun makes everyone think you're a nut.
Old January 6, 2011, 10:56 PM   #44
Old Woodsmen

Here in southern and as well eastern Oregon from what I've seen and heard the ratio is pretty high, perhaps in large part due to the issuing sheriffs departments having the head sheriffs swore to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States. These areas are very weapons friendly. It is sad to me that those who have CCW licenses and aren't restricted by where they work don't carry all that much. I don't leave the driveway and not carry.
Old January 6, 2011, 11:26 PM   #45
youngunz4life

on "Alaskan Troopers" or "Alaska Patrol" or something like that the officer told the camera crew during a traffic stop 90% of the people he pulls over have a gun. In Alaska there is no permit needed, and there are obviously other reasons why having a firearm is prudent. The officer was referring to the fact that its food for thought knowing you are approaching a vehicle with a weapon inside day in and day out.

quote1
Quote:
I'm constantly on the lookout for the most concealable method of carry to avoid any printing at all, because from my experience when most people in Massachusetts find out you conceal a firearm they freak out.

quote2
Little Rhody is the same, no surprise. Even owning a gun makes everyone think you're a nut.
I grew up in New England and specifically the southern tri-state area. totally different mindset. Even my buddy who grew up in a hunting, gun family who is a cop now thinks its pointles unless one lives in the ghetto. That sort of shocked me, but when you leave and live in a gun-friendly area for some yrs things like that happen. You just don't notice as much when you're in the middle of it(unless you're a transplant). Lol. People call the police if they hear one shot way out in the woods when there isn't even a way to trace where it came from in any real form. I don't blame you being a little on alert on the issue of becoming a: Man With a Gun call
Old January 8, 2011, 02:35 AM   #46
ncpatriot

Quote:
Little Rhody is the same, no surprise.
I'm surprised to hear that. I thought Rhode Island was a bit like New Hampshire, with the spirit of liberty.