The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2011, 12:51 PM   #1
poline

Quick

I know this issue has been talked about, before, but I can't remember what the answer was!

I'm loading 38spl 158 gain rnfp jacketed bullets and the brass is buckling, being crushed, when I apply the crimp. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can prevent this?

Many thanks in advance!!!!!!
Old May 6, 2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Twinsig

assuming you are applying a roll-crimp sounds like your die is set too low/too much crimp. take a look at the instructions for your die set-up.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Doodlebugger45

Presumably your bullet has a cannelure. And presumably the bullets are being seated so that the mouth of the brass falls into that cannelure. If so, then the only other problem is that you are trying to apply too much crimp. You don't say whether you are using the seating die or a factory crimp die to apply the crimp. In either case, you need to back the die out to where it is just barely touching the mouth and then adjust it down in 1/4 turns at a time until you start to apply the roll crimp. It doesn't take much of a crimp to be effectivel
Old May 6, 2011, 02:34 PM   #4
poline

I set the die up again, per instructions, no more damage brass. It was to much crimp with the seating die. I'm not useing the Lee factory crimp.

Thank you, very much.