The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Josh Smith

Case Trimming Help

I don't know what that was!

Wow. I'd like to know the rest of the story!

Anyway...

It's time to trim some cases. I don't have a case trimmer... so I'll need one. Nothing expensive. What do you recommend?

The 7.62x54R has a max length of 2.115" and should therefore be trimmed to 2.105"... right"

Now, what's the point in trimming a case that headspaces on the rim? I'm not getting this, and would actually like the case neck to be a bit longer. The rifle has a long lead.

Thanks,

Josh

Last edited by Josh Smith; May 3, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old May 3, 2011, 09:04 PM   #2
kraigwy

Lee case trimmers work if you only have a few cases. It bottoms out inside the case telling your its trimmed to lenght.

You also need the cutter and holder, but you can use them on other cases.

About as cheap as you can find.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Case-Trimming-Tools/
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 3, 2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Miata Mike

I have been using the Lee Zip trim also. Very simple and inexpensive, but tedious the other day when I did 100 .223 cases along with chamfering and deburring the outside of the case.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Jim243

Quote:
Now, what's the point in trimming a case that headspaces on the rim?

They DON'T they headspace off the shoulder, belted mags headspace off the belt and pistol cases headspace off the mouth and only straight wall revolver cases headspace off the rim.

Jim

It is interesting that they are a rimed case but if left too long from repeated shooting it would cause you a problem with headspace.

Last edited by Jim243; May 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Josh Smith

Quote:
Lee case trimmers work if you only have a few cases. It bottoms out inside the case telling your its trimmed to lenght.

You also need the cutter and holder, but you can use them on other cases.

About as cheap as you can find.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Case-Trimming-Tools/
Thanks folks.

I just did 15 using my drill press I use to make my Mosin-Nagant sights, and a grinding wheel. I can keep them level and deburr and chamfer using the same tool.

However, it's very, very tedious. Did about 15 of them in an hour.

I'm very interested in the Lee, but am not sure I see how it works. (Usually I must have something in hand, then it's not a problem at all).

What do I need? The large cutter? Small cutter? I can chamfer and deburr the way I've been doing -- I like it a lot better than some cutting tool.

I guess I don't know what to order.

Thanks,

Josh
Old May 4, 2011, 09:17 AM   #6
kraigwy

You need this guy for your 7.62X54R

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/GAUGE-...62X54RUSS.html

That is the shell holder and pilot that goes into he case. The cutter fits on top of the pilot to trim the brass. The pilot pin goes into the deprimed flash hole and stops when it bottoms out.

You need this guy to get the other to work. The pilot screws into the cutter.
The shell holder (from above) screws onto the shank. The shank can be hand held while you trim the brass, or you can put it in a drill.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Cutter-and-Lock-Stud.html

Its a relatively simple operation but does require that the case mouth be champered to get rid of the sharp edges.

Once you get the Cutter and Lock Stud, you only have to by the gage/holder for differant cases.

I've found these faster then the normal lathe type case trimmers.

Having said all that, for rounds that I load by the hundreds, 223, 308, '06 I use this gismo. I got it from a machinest I met at the Wilson Matches (National Guard Championships) years ago. I've never found anything faster. It works somewhat like the Lee as it has a pilot shaft that bottoms out in the case. The cutter is adjustable for the lenth you want. Whats nice is the cutter is "V" shaped which champers the case as you trim it. The device is put in a Milling Machine or drill press. The case is slide onto the shaft until it stops, ITS DONE, all ready to load, no champering, just prime and load.

I do shoot a lot of 7.62X54R for CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle Matches and I've found cutter on my 308 shaft can be adjusted to fit the Russian Case.

Fastest I've ever seen or heard about, just slide the case on and off, its done.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071