The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2011, 05:59 PM   #1
twins

WSPM primer for standard 9mm load?

Made a mistake and picked up the Winchester Small Pistol Magnum (WSPM) primer instead of the regular WSP primer. Is it ok to use in standard load for 9mm Luger? Or do I have to go get the regular WSP primer?

Thanks.
Old April 29, 2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Adamantium

Should you want to use the WSPM the only safe answer is to re-work your intended load from it's reduced charge and monitor for pressure signs.
Old April 29, 2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

Twins:

At times I have used magnum primers in non magnum rifle and pistol calibers. However, I don't reload up to the maximun either. In rifles calibers with a large case capicity, like the 30/06, when using slow powders like 4831 a magnum primer is useful, but not necessary. I feel that with slow burning powders and the amount of powder compression required to seat the bullets that a magnum primer assures me of consistent ignation. What I'm saying is that case capicity, powder type and not the cartridge's name designation should be considered when selecting a primer. For instance, the 222 Rem. Mag is designated magnum but is it a magnum when is comes to selecting primers for loading it. Not hardley.

For piatol calibers if the powder charge is not maximun I don't think that you will experience problems. However, be for warned that the small capicity pistol cases and the faster burning powders that they require that you could get into trouble quick using maximun powder charges with magnum primers.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited by Clifford L. Hughes; April 29, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old April 29, 2011, 06:45 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Years ago I started out reloading 9mm using only Federal small rifle primers. They work just fine, and SPM primers aren't really much different. They may (or may not) raise your pressures though, so if you are anywhere near a maximum load you need to back off towards a starting load and work it up again jus to make sure.
Old April 29, 2011, 07:05 PM   #5
frumious

I have also used small pistol magnum primers with low-to-mid-range charges of Bullseye. No problems. I only did this because magnum was all that was available.

As others have said, if you are at max then back off before you use the magnum primers.

-cls
Old May 3, 2011, 05:21 PM   #6
twins

Update on using the WSPM instead of WSP primers for standard 9mm Luger load.

Powder: Hodgdon Universal, loaded 4.0 to 4.4 grs with .1 gr increment. Max load is 4.5 grs.
Bullets: 115 gr Missouri RN & 115 gr Hornady XTP
Primer: Winchester Small Pistol Magnum
Case: Starline

Handguns: Hi-Point C9 Comp & S&W 5903

No issue with using the Magnum primer with these loads. Both handguns showed no signs of overpressure with 4.4 grs. The Hi-Point was very accurate with 4.2 grs while the S&W didn't group well until 4.4 grs. Will try 4.5 grs next time to see if there's a problem with pressure and see if I can get the S&W to group better.