The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2011, 02:57 PM   #1
colostomyclown

advice on getting into reloading.

So,

been shooting all my life and finally want to get started reloading. I know some basics, handloaded some pistol rounds and shotshells in the 70's, but I'm going to try and approach this with a clean slate. I want to handload some good ballistic tip defensive rounds for my AR and possibly some #1 and 00 buckshot, but I have no idea where to start? This isn't an undertaking that can be taken lightly or hastily, it's serious stuff.

Any idea on where to start so I know which powders are which, what basic equipment I'll need, etc?
Old May 3, 2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Start by reading the sticky threads at the top of this forum. After that, order a copy of "The ABCs of Reloading". You may find it a bit simplistic since you have some experience but it's a good refresher anyway.
After that, read the threads here about equipment choices, you'll get many opinions (Lee Classic Turret!)

As to powder choices and such, well, that's part of the addiction. There is no single answer, you have to try some and find out. What works for me in my gun may or may not work for you in yours.

Welcome, and welcome to the addiction.