The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 24, 2015, 04:08 PM   #1
Reloader2

Ruger Predator

I got a chance to load up some ammo and get to the bench this afternoon with the Ruger Predator 308.
I think I'm going to like this rifle.
This rifle has plastic spacers to adjust the length of pull. It came from the factory with one spacer installed and two additional 1/2" spacers in the box. I'm 6'04" tall and found adding one additional spacer to the factory set up fit me nicely. While possibly not the best looking set up it certainly makes the rifle versatile for all sizes of shooters.
I mounted a Burris Fullfield ll 3-9 scope last night. I've got a few Burris scopes and while my eyesight is not good, to me the Fullfield seem to be as clear as the Signature line.
The two stage trigger will take some getting used to. A target shooter might want it to be just a bit lighter but for a hunting rifle I think it will work just fine as set from the factory.
The action isn't the smoothest at this point but again as a hunting rifle if I do my part I only need to get the first one in the chamber.
I loaded up some Nosler 165 grain BT factory 2nds in front of a good dose of Varget powder and headed to the bench.

I put four shots through at 25 yards to get on paper and then moved to 100.
The first shot was on paper low left so after a substantial adjustment I got close enough to fire three for a group. With a moderately warm barrel the first two were nearly touching and the third moved out nearly 1 1/2 inches. This could be the load, the shooter or the rifle but I would not hesitate to hunt with this tomorrow as my shots are generally under 200 yards.
This is my first experience with the 308 cartridge. I found d the report and kick to be very mild and I think this combo would fit the bill nicely for a young or first time shooter.
All in all a very good experience for the first try.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437772067.629182.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1437772081.734954.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1437772096.610064.jpg
Old July 24, 2015, 04:13 PM   #2
NINEX19

What, you got extra spacers?
My .308 Predator has the pad glued to the stock. Where would you put spacers?

Edit to add:
Just looked at the pictures. We are not talking about the same gun. I know Ruger only makes the predator like this http://ruger.com/products/americanRi...or/models.html
Old July 24, 2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Reloader2

This is the Hawkeye FTW Predator.