The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 7, 2012, 09:26 PM   #1
FrosSsT

FNH SLP

I have been looking at the Benelli M4's for a long time debating on if they are worth the $1600 price tag. I recently stumbled across the new FNH SLP and began doing research. There are a ton of positive reviews and write ups on them, but for those who did the same comparison, or who have experience with them, is the FNH SLP on the same level as the Benelli M4 as far as combat shotguns go?
Old October 14, 2012, 08:23 PM   #2
FrosSsT

Has anyone made a purchase on the FN SLP?
Old October 15, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Valerko

Check out Nutnfancy's review on it. If somebody puts gun thru its paces ,it's him.
He didn't have whole lot of bad to say about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj7T_1mNSf0&sns=em
Old October 15, 2012, 07:59 PM   #4
buckhorn_cortez

I've owned an SLP for 3 years. I've run it alongside a Benelli and it works equally as well with less recoil. You'll find a lot of 3-gun shooters using the SLP if that matters.

I have the 18-inch barrel and a 28-inch barrel for mine and use it occasionally for trap. My suggestion would be to send it to SRM Performance Products for installation of a Sure Cycle system and have them do a reliability tune-up if you want the ultimate in performance out of it.

They will install the Sure Cycle recoil system and modify the gas pistons to eliminate the spring inside the piston. They will also lap the bolt and receiver. With the SRM work, I use the heavy gas piston and the gun will run 1 oz #8 shot trap loads through Brenneke Black Magic slugs without changing the piston.

I would also suggest using a Briley IVNX2-SK choke that is a rifled diffusion choke if you're going to use it for defensive purposes. It patterns buckshot better than a smooth cylinder bore or improved cylinder choke.

I've shot Hevi-Shot Home Defense rounds, #1 buckshot, #00 buckshot, standard slugs, and Winchester 12 gage PDX1 rounds through it.

I have a friend who is a shotgun afficiando who has Brownings and Berettas, including a Beretta UGB25 EXcel 2-shot automatic, and his original Browning A5, along with a number of over / under trap and sporting clays guns - and he loves the SLP.

For what it's built to do - it's a runner.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; October 16, 2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old October 15, 2012, 09:30 PM   #5
FrosSsT

Quote:
Check out Nutnfancy's review on it. If somebody puts gun thru its paces ,it's him.
He didn't have whole lot of bad to say about it.
I did take a look at that video a while back. He put it over the benelli m4 because of the loads the SLP can utilize that the m4 can not. I am curious to see what everyone else is saying
Old October 15, 2012, 10:03 PM   #6
jmortimer

It is essentially an SX2. Will cycle faster than the M4 and have less recoil. I really like the way they look.
Old October 16, 2012, 04:34 AM   #7
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
I am curious to see what everyone else is saying
What do you want to know, or need to find out since your statement is rather undefined?

The gun is fast enough with 1-1/2 oz loads that you can get 5 empty hulls in the air simultaneously if you can pull the trigger that quickly. Recoil is low because it is a gas operated gun, and can be reduced further by the Sure Cycle system.

If you want to increase the capacity of the gun for 3-gun, get the 22-inch barrel version and put the RCI X-Rail system on it. That is a 14 round magazine system that replaces the forearm. With a 26-inch barrel you can install a 22 shot XRail system.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; October 16, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Lee Lapin

I bought one not long after they first came out. Haven't shot it a lot but haven't had any issues with it. I like it but I usually run 870s so I haven't done a lot with the SLP.

There was one the the one-day Shotgun Refresher class I took with Louis Awerbuck in September. Its owner had been slack on maintenance, for a good while apparently, and it started choking up/failing to function shortly after noon (on a Rolling Thunder drill, naturally). A little ATF and a rag seemed to take care of the carbon problem... but it could and should have been avoided. If you're gonna shoot a gas gun, clean it...

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Valerko

Now,I want one
Old October 16, 2012, 10:04 PM   #10
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
but it could and should have been avoided. If you're gonna shoot a gas gun, clean it...
Absolutely - you have to maintain the gun as required for it to be reliable. I've run mine 500 rounds between cleaning with no problems. But, I also keep it lubricated properly.

The only thing that really needs cleaning is the gas piston and ports. You can get to the gas piston in less than 30 seconds as the forearm cap unscrews, you pull off the forearm and the gas piston is accessible.

You can also pull the barrel out of the receiver at the same time to get to the bolt and clean the barrel.

I use SLiP 2000 Choke Tube Cleaner. It comes in a jar and I take out the choke and piston, put them in the jar and continue cleaning and lubing the gun. When I'm ready to reassemble the gun, I take the choke and piston out of the jar, brush them clean, dry them, lubricate and install them back into the gun.

The weak point of the gun is the pistons if you shoot it a lot - like thousands of rounds per month. The pistons have a spring in them and the spring fatigues and finally breaks. The way you know this has happened is the gun requires heavier loads to cycle.

What SRM Performance does as part of their reliability / performance tuneup is remove the spring in each gas piston, replace the spring with a custom part and adjust the gas ports in the pistons to run without the spring.

The gun functions exactly the same, but the weak point (piston springs) has been removed so it is no longer a concern. The spring is there as a recoil reduction measure it's not really needed for the gun to function.

The Sure Cycle recoil system replaces the recoil spring with an enclosed system that never wears out, and manages recoil better, with the bonus of closing the bolt faster so the cycle time of the gun is reduced.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; October 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:09 PM   #11
jmortimer

Patrick Flanigan said in an interview that he would go 2,500 plus with his SX3 before cleaning. I like the 930s but I notice he has not broken any of his SX3 records with his 930. He did set a pump action record with his 500.
Old October 18, 2012, 06:24 PM   #12
FrosSsT

Quote:
What do you want to know, or need to find out since your statement is rather undefined?
I want to know if the Benelli M4 is worth the extra $700 over the SLP
Old October 20, 2012, 07:59 PM   #13
poortrader

What are you going to use the shotgun for? Are you planning on shooting 3gun? I would get the FN. There's a new competition SLP coming out, but the details have been sketchy. The price is going to be around $1200 for the new FN SLP.

NRA Life Member
Old October 21, 2012, 08:38 AM   #14
FrosSsT

Quote:
What are you going to use the shotgun for? Are you planning on shooting 3gun?
I may get into 3 gun matches sooner or later but right now I would just be running it through some multiple target courses (silhouettes at varying distances)
Old October 21, 2012, 07:15 PM   #15
three-fifty-seven

I don't want to stir the point but in my experience I have found Browning/FNH/Winchester shotguns equal or superior to Beretta/Benelli firearms for almost half the price.

Quote:
I want to know if the Benelli M4 is worth the extra $700 over the SLP
Nope; however there might be more aftermarket support for the Benelli.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:39 PM   #16
poortrader

I would get the SLP and you won't reget it.

NRA Life Member
Old October 21, 2012, 08:15 PM   #17
arizona98tj

Never shot a Beretta and the only Benelli I've ran was my pump. That being said, my SLP has performed very well for me. I've ran it through two 4 day training courses, the later consuming a bit over 750 rounds. The only thing I did was to apply a bit of lube during the course. The advanced course was nothing but semi-autos and the SLP matched all of them shot for shot. I've put about 3K rounds through mine in the past couple of years....not much compared to some folks....but it keeps on running....and it cycles the reduced recoil (1200 FPS) 1 oz slugs quite nicely.
Old October 23, 2012, 08:11 PM   #18
FrosSsT

I think I might just have to grab the SLP over the M4...