The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 13, 1999, 06:39 PM   #1
david_m_curry

This weekend, Long Path was gracious enough to invite me along with Rocky Road and another fellow on a dove hunt near Denton---it was great! These are wonderful guys and I am very fortunate to have been given the opportunity spend a little time with 'em. I am proud to say that I didn't do too shabby for my first dove hunt. I only missed 12 shots. Ok, so I only took 12 shots It was really nice to get out of the city and relax. Normally, I only hunt 4 days a year (deer) and that is just not enough! Never thought about it before, but since I graduated from college 3 years ago, I haven't fired 100 rounds of ammunition in all of my firearms combined! Ughhh.
Old September 13, 1999, 08:01 PM   #2
Long Path

Shucks, David-- 't'weren't nuthin'.
Next time, we'll schedule better, and we know where they're flying. I believe we could limit out our next time out, if they fly like I saw 'em at the end.

Re: <100 rds in 3 years-- Dang, David!!! Don't admit that in a public forum of such august company as this! Better to admit that you wear women's underwear under little lederhosin while singing "I am a little Alpine boy!" on your hunts, than to admit an average of only 33 shots/year!!!! (okay, perhaps that image conjured up TMI, there...)

We'll raise that stat on the range this fall. If we get out there early enough, we'll have doubled your yearly average by Sunday, w/pistol rifle, and shotgun. Gimme a call!

----------
"Happiness is a warm gun..." (Same words, different meaning.)
Old September 13, 1999, 08:29 PM   #3
Ankeny

I know a guy who got a ticket for shooting over his limit of doves. I always thought he should have gotten a trophy...
Old September 13, 1999, 10:16 PM   #4
Long Path

Here in the N. Zone in TX the limit per day is 15, that's *15*, and the possession (season limit) is double that.

(I just now looked that up... )

We play by the rules at my hunts. I just have to make sure what the rules are.

Good luck!!

L.P.
Old September 14, 1999, 12:29 PM   #5
david_m_curry

I'll never admit to the women's underwear, but I just can't hide the lederhosen and singing!

I composed my post-collegiate shooting stats by firearm for the last 3 years (all firearms were owned throughout the 3 year period except the Laredo which I purchased last October):

Ruger Super Redhawk (44 Mag.): 0 shots
Weatherby (.338/378 Wby. Mag.): 0 shots
Remington Model 700 (.270 Win.): 5 shots (3 deer, 2 turkey)
Winchester Laredo (7mm STW): 43 shots (40 load development, 2 deer, 1 turkey
Remington 11-87 (12 ga.): 12 shots (0 dove)
Total number of rounds fired: 60 shots

Before I graduated, I was very active and that would have been an average month's shooting with just the .338/378 Weatherby! Maybe I have let the responsibilities of work take a little too much away from me. Anyway, I am sure with Long Path's help, and others like him, I can break this vicious work addiction

Cheers,
David Curry
Old September 14, 1999, 09:15 PM   #6
Long Path

I could NOT manage to own a Laredo and not shoot it. Even though I were rechambering it, as I know you are, I'd HAVE to shoot it a few times first, before I sent it to Fred Z.

How do you people DO that? I'm ashamed of the few shots I've taken with my Sendero this year, but in all fairness, I did put about 200+ through it last year.

When I've got a new gun, I can't rest until I've shot it...

Old September 15, 1999, 10:06 AM   #7
david_m_curry

I promise to do better with my .50 AE Desert Eagle when I pick it up! My FFL/dealer friend is out of town for a while, but he promised that he would have it for me by 9/24. After that, we should go out and have a little fun with it! What I *really* want is a Glock 21 so that I can shoot cheap .45 ACP in a gun that requires next to no maintainance and just have fun shooting. Unfortunately, Glock 21's seem to be in real short supply unless maybe you are a LEO (I couldn't find even one with the 3rd gen. frame in 2 months of looking and my dealer friend said that RSR wasn't expecting any anytime soon), hence the .50 AE Desert Eagle to play with for now

Cheers,
David Curry