The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 2, 2009, 01:43 PM   #26
txbirddog

Real tough guy pulling that crap on a woman,,,,maybe some woman he tries that on in the future steps back and says something to the effect, "You gonna skin that smoke wagon or just stand there and bleed."

You never know who you are going to come up against and must be prepared for all.

He is a poster child for the anti-ccw crowd and the quicker he loses his right, the better.

Glad she walked away,,,,but we as a nation have got to stop putting up with bullying tactics!!!!
Old January 2, 2009, 02:07 PM   #27
hecate

+100 on the "bitch" concept, Kathy.

I have two t-shirts I'm very fond of. One reads "Alpha Bitch" that I bought at a dog show. The other reads "I'm not A bitch, I'm THE bitch, and that's Ms. Bitch to you."

In over twenty years doing Greyhound rescue and adoption, caring for as many as 35 dogs at a time, I've learned a great deal about how a good Alpha Bitch operates. I hope to be a credit to my teachers.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:11 PM   #28
Gunsmom

Kathy:

+100 here, too.

BTDT, need Hecate's tee shirts.
Old January 5, 2009, 08:18 PM   #29
onthejon55

she did good if it were me i would ask him to remain clam and that theres no reason to start shooting and if he backed off id call the police. if the gun came out of the holster its on like donkey kong
Old January 5, 2009, 08:28 PM   #30
KUHIO

I likely would have called the cops if this had happened to me. I think they'd deem that gesture as brandishment, that is, he did it with intent to intimidate/threaten. While I'm glad your friend came out ok, I would not have turned my back on that guy. That's the kind of gun owner that needs his CCW revoked.
Old January 5, 2009, 10:49 PM   #31
BuckHammer

If that guy keeps doing that crap, he's gonna get killed.

On the "bitch" concept, it can be sort of the reverse for males, but no better.

I grew up learning to deal with my own problems, and even if another kid does something horrible, if you inform an adult, you are a "tattle-tale". That's how society has trained me to look at things, and that's the way I do it. I get assertive and don't need any help with my problems.

There's a word for people like me: A-hole. I admit it.

I'm not trying to take anything away from pax's post, which I completely agree with, just saying that society does damage to all people, not just females.
Old January 8, 2009, 05:20 PM   #32
Rachen

Quote:
Guy deliberately fans back his coat and grips a holstered handgun.
JERK!!!

As a lifelong advocate of firearms ownership, stuff like that is the last thing I need to hear to make me REALLY ANGRY.

Now we wonder why so many antis call us psychos. It's because of misfits like the one above that shouldn't even be allowed to see a PICTURE of a gun, not to mention actually carrying one.

Last edited by Rachen; January 8, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old January 8, 2009, 06:38 PM   #33
MothersLilHelper

Amen to Pax.

Pax, my three week old daughter is in a sling on my front as I write this: thanks for your wisdom. I will be teaching my daughter differently.

Bravo.
Old January 8, 2009, 06:46 PM   #34
jesus5150

No way, he pulled back his coat as if to say, "you can't talk back to me, I HAVE A GUN!" which is also to say, "I'll shoot you if you don't shut up" NO WAY! If someone did that to my loving Girlfriend of 5 years (My common law wife until i can afford the perfect ring) My internal Bomb would detonate and i'd break that guy's Arm.... Call me brash or even stupid but a threat is a threat and i will not take that lightly! Pointing at your gun is saying, "i have it and will use it" which tells me i can defend myself. I'm sorry your friend came across that useless waste of space. I can't help but think about how much it makes me mad that my innocent brother was killed needlessly while Dirtbags like him are allowed to walk free... But i guess if it was perfect it'd be called Heaven, not earth. Glad to hear she's ok.
Old January 8, 2009, 06:48 PM   #35
Lee Lapin

Pax,

Keep on tellin' it, just like that.

lpl
Old January 8, 2009, 07:15 PM   #36
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Didn't read all but in Florida that is at minimum AG assault. It likely would be Ag Assault, assault with a deadly weapon, public display of a firearm. and maybe even terroristic threat would be tagged on. Likely several felony convictions! Loss of gun rights which he seriously deserves!
Brent
Old January 8, 2009, 09:18 PM   #37
cgraham

Quote:
Friend turns and says.. We're all waiting, and you need to be patient like the rest of us.

Guy deliberately fans back his coat and grips a holstered handgun.
That's brandishing at least, no question. A clear threat.

I think the woman should have RUN, screaming "gun", out of the line to a safe location and called 911. Running demonstrates her fear for her life and sounds the alarm.

Admittedly that gives the brandisher what he wanted, her place in line, but personal safety is more important. The law would have evened things up Especially, as I wager this person did not have a CCL; at least I hope not, in which case being found in illegal possession of a firearm would have ensured her story was believed.

But seriously, what was the gunman going to do in this situation, worst case? Unless he was out of his mind, nothing! He had no realistic options. In fact, nothing did happen when the woman turned her back on him (somewhat ill-advisedly, but courageous). It is clear she knew nothing about gun law or strategy, and in her circumstances, her reaction was the least likely to escalate the situation. And she gave up nothing. A win!

The lesson here is that everyone, armed or not, should know something about how to react when a gun is produced aggressively.

C
Old January 8, 2009, 10:09 PM   #38
Tennessee Gentleman

This stuff really makes me real mad.

A good friend of mine once saw a guy park in a handicapped spot (he had no placard and was not handicapped) so he said something to him and the guy broke bad eventually pulling out a gun. Nobody was hurt but I chastised my friend for not calling the cops. I say that if I ever saw that sort of thing I would be on the cell phone fast to 911 and do everything to have that clown prosecuted. We owe it to ourselves to help rid the CCW community of these cretins
Old January 8, 2009, 11:05 PM   #39
jfrey123

At least one person above me stated that we're over reacting, that we'd hate to see a news story about a person 'accidentally' getting a view of a legal CCW's gun.

The Nevada Revised Statutes are very clear, that threatening someone with a firearm is a major no-no.

I personally like an idea above of making a loud scene, yelling "He's got a gun!!!" Man, I'd kind of like to see how those yellow shirt security guys react to that.
Old January 8, 2009, 11:35 PM   #40
BuckHammer

Where are all the mall ninjas when you need them?