The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 15, 2007, 08:49 PM   #1
svenrh

Leupold VX-1 vs Rifleman

Does anyone know the exact difference between Leupold's VX-1 and Rifleman line? They seem to be identically priced.
Old August 15, 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
taylorce1

From what I understand they are exactly the same. I don't think you would notice a difference in quality from one to the other. I have a VX-1 on my .243 and like it very much I bought it from Sportsman's Warehouse because they gave me a 5% discount for being military. If I hadn't got the discount I probably would have bought it across the road at Wal-Mart as a Rifleman scope while I was buying my new TV.
Old August 16, 2007, 08:36 PM   #3
armedtotheteeth

I have a Rifleman on my Ar-30 and it is top notch. My eyes cant see the dif in a VX-1 and a Rifleman. My wallet can though. My rifleman has been on my 300 mag about 2.5 years no, not a single problem despite being dropped off a truck. Never lost its zero, well over 1000 rounds by now. very clear and a little bit too good low level light viewing. You have to watch the 30 min before and after sunset thing for hunting.
look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yJqrldgRQ8 and my Fav http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdYG2kSITLE
Old August 16, 2007, 09:36 PM   #4
stinger

You won't notice much, if any difference between the two.

I think you'd be pleased dropping a few more dollars and getting a VX-II.
Old August 17, 2007, 10:42 AM   #5
svenrh

FYI
I found this information from the Leupold website:

VX-I

The VX-I also utilizes a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II technology, utilizing ¼-MOA friction (non-clicking) adjustments. The external lenses are multicoated and the internal lenses use magnesium fluoride.

Rifleman

Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (½-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II that helped build the Leupold reputation. It is important to note that Custom Shop options (reticle changes, target adjustment installation, etc.) are not available for the Rifleman line of scopes.
Old August 17, 2007, 02:28 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Say WHAT? I'm not buying that the Rifleman is exactly the same as the VX2 or Vari-X 2, with a different tube - no, not when it's less money than the VX1 (which would be optically/mechanically inferior to the Rifleman if the allegation were true, unless I'm missing something), and far, far less money than Vari-X 2. Not buying that at all. But this brings us back to the differences between the VX1 & Vari-X1, and the VX2 & Vari-X2.
Old August 17, 2007, 02:46 PM   #7
svenrh

Believe what you want-I had a hard time believing the information from Leupold as well.
Here is the link to Leupold's FAQ where I got this information.
Question #5

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/resources/faq/
Old August 20, 2007, 05:50 PM   #8
FirstFreedom

Well it's *possible*. But it's only possible IF the upgrade across the board from the Vari-Xes to the VXes is a significant quality upgrade for no additional price increase. And how much worse could the tube be? So it's 6065 alum instead of 7075 or what? We're not downgrading from steel to alum - it's alum to alum, right? I'll admit I'm very confused. Of course, that's no surprise - it's in their best interest to hide the ball and keep us confused. That's one reason I mostly stay away from Leupolds. There's a REASON they choose not to be completely transparent and lay out cleanly the differences in the models - it means that in ONE line, you're getting less value - only they know which one. I'm not going to take a chance of getting the crappier value line, so I'll not buy any of their high end stuff. Other makers can tell you exactly what's better about their higher end lines (to varying extents anyway) - but Leupold seems to be particularly low on the disclosure, and high on the attempted confusion, so I'm not impressed with much of anything except their warranty. One thing you can say for sure, however, is that the Rifleman is *likely* their best overall value, regardless, since you get the same warranty for a lot less price (and possibly the same exact optical quality and mechanical quality as VX1s - which in turn may or may not be better than the old vari-X 2s). But when I compare the Rifleman to a similarly priced Burris fullfield 2, Sightron S2, with fully multi-coated lenses, it's hard to justify the Leupold unless you're putting it on a big boomer and might need the warranty.

Let me give you an example. This chart from opticsplanet lays out exactly why different Bushnell Binoculars are the price they are, from a feature-by-feature standpoint:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/busbinsal.html

This is what we as consumers need. You don't see that with most any riflescope maker that has multiple lines, espec. Leupold. We have to ask ourselves why not? Notably, to my chagrin, there is no similar chart on Bushnell scopes even:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-riflescopes.html

Maybe rifle owners are bigger suckers than binocular consumers on the whole, and demand less information before buying.

Caveat Emptor indeed.
Old August 21, 2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Read carefully:

Rifleman = OLD Vari-X II

VXII is a NEW updated model.
-------Metallica
Old August 22, 2007, 08:09 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

I did read it carefully. More carefully than you did, I'm sure. If you'd read MY post carefully, you'd see that I understand that. It still doesn't tell us what we want to know. As I said above:

Quote:
But this brings us back to the differences between the VX1 & Vari-X1, and the VX2 & Vari-X2.
Quote:
But it's only possible IF the upgrade across the board from the Vari-Xes to the VXes is a significant quality upgrade for no additional price increase
I find it very hard to believe that the Rifleman is the same as the OLD Vari-X2, because the only way that's possible is that when the VXes came out and supplanted the Vari-Xes, they boosted every line two-lines worth of quality, without any price increase or only a neglible price increase. Since that strains credibility, I ain't buyin it. Reading it doesn't make it true.
Old August 22, 2007, 08:19 PM   #11
johnbt

"But it's only possible IF..."

That was my understanding at the time. They did.

John