The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 15, 2013, 08:51 PM   #26
fastbolt

One of the common mistakes made in this sort of preparation is to try and make a one-size-fits-all collection of gear, clothes, medical supplies, equipment, etc, etc.

It's helpful to keep in mind situational context. Determine a practical and likely situation or set of circumstances, and then look to make simple, efficient and affordable choices. Start reasonable. Overlapping usefulness is better than a multitude of gee-whiz, limited application & special purpose gear & gadgets.

What can you really use under the envisioned circumstances? What would you really need (and why)? Can you carry it if you're suddenly on foot? How far?

BTW, way to go RetiredMajor.
Old December 15, 2013, 10:20 PM   #27
Onward Allusion

+1 on the Get-Home-Bag, considering how many hours most people spend waking hours at work or away from home and home is the base of operations for most.

Already said previously...
- change of clothes, including hikers
- energy bars
- hydration
- multi-tool
- fire-starter & hand sanitizer (as disinfectant and fuel)
- first-aid kit
- something for self-defense, be it knife, pepper spray, or firearm

As for the Bug-Out-Bag, make separate lists of items for different situations. Some items will overlap scenarios and some will not. Use the list to toss things in the BOB based on the situation. Putting together the BOB from a prepared inventory should not take more than a few minutes, especially when base items overlap different events.
Old December 15, 2013, 11:05 PM   #28
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
(lots of very good points).

Outstanding post.

Sensible preparation is a numbers game. It's all about being as ready as we can realistically be for situations that may arise, and we are most likely to benefit from preparing for events that are more likely to occur. Thankfully, it is very easy to prepare for a large variety of common disruptions.

Training is certainly one of the most impactful ways to prepare. First aid, self defense, and communication classes are all great values.
Old December 16, 2013, 12:00 AM   #29
YankeeIronSights

Adding to what others have suggested, I would include in my bug out bag a few small items that would not create weight issues:

- magnifying glass, in case the matches get wet
- safety pins or zip ties
- duct tape
- tooth brush
- small mirror to signal rescuers
- compass
- small pocket notebook and pen/pencil
- whistle
Old December 16, 2013, 01:09 AM   #30
Jammer Six

A credit card.

No natural disaster (or manmade disaster, for that matter) has ever encompassed the entire United States.

We're going where the lights are still on and the coffee is still hot. Then we'll take the Presidential Suite, or maybe the Honeymoon Suite, order up some room service, or walk down to Starbuck's. Vacation time.

Last edited by Jammer Six; December 16, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old December 16, 2013, 01:13 AM   #31
Chaz88

I am basically a natural disaster magnet and have been through most you can think of.

Much of the time there is no place to go. When that is the case the number one thing you will need is water. If there is a hint of natural disaster coming my way I start filling everything I have. In particular bathtubs and large trashcans. Do not forget to have a length of hose to drain your water heater. It might not taste great but holds safe water for a long time.

Next thing you need is a camp stove and bleach for when the water is no longer safe.

After drinking water is taken care of make arrangements to catch rain water to refill your outside trash cans. The house will smell better and everyone will be much happier if you can flush now and then.

Candles and oil lamps run longer than batteries. Just be careful a fire is not fun.

Everything else people have listed is all good to have also. But in an extended situation with no place to go water will be a constant concern.

In one volcano disaster I was in we were the evacuation point then got hammered by a typhoon and volcano at the same time and had a few thousand more people than normal needing resources also. As I remember we went about three weeks before there was any running water, it was not safe to drink for longer than that, and five or six before there was much power available.

So that was a long way of saying... have lots of water.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 16, 2013, 11:57 AM   #32
tirod

I have to agree - I'm not going anywhere except back to the house. That makes the BOB pretty minimal for a 7 mile hike home.

Taking the most common disaster, I'd be land navigating across a debris zone caused by winds over 100mph. Just so happens I've been in close proximity to a small EF1 that went over the house, two ice storms, a "wind event" that had 100mph winds sustained for 15 minutes, and worked in Joplin adjacent to the EF5 zone.

In most cases, the roads were open to foot traffic. At the worst, the center of a debris zone may not even have recognizable landmarks or even road signs - but it's going to be short lived. Keep walking, you will figure it out.

Water supply and purification is #1. Not a weapon. A container is necessary. No water, you don't last four days in temps over 95 degrees, which is a large part of America in summer. Like was said, we don't get to pick when, just prepare. Straw filters let you drink directly from puddles, a larger kit allows good water in quantity you can carry. A container should be maximum half gallon per person - more means you are carrying a lot of dead weight and not something else important.

Goes to the bag - please, no bags. If it doesn't have shoulder straps and a waist belt, it's going to be difficult (especially all youse guys carrying your gun and gold collections!)

Next, a tomahawk, entry team style, one piece with a rolling head spike design. Helping others get out of entrapment will likely be your first response, even if you are just traveling thru. The tomahawk is lighter than a deconstruction tool like a FUBAR, handier, easier to use and carry, and you aren't concerned much with breaking or hacking on broken stuff anyway - just freeing a fellow human. It could be someone you know and need to survive.

Paracord, for various uses. First aid kit. All your personal medicines. Another pair of unbreakable prescription glasses or safety glasses. You need to see to survive. Working gloves to protect your hands.

Food for you is dead weight. Food for a child is necessary or they start piggybacking and you get tired more quickly.

What you wore to get to a location away from the house should be selected with the idea you would have to stay outdoors in it overnight. In winter, that means you should have worn a decent outdoor level coat and footwear suited to the weather - not jammies and flops to run down to the store for the Sunday funnies, only to slide off that last turn into a ravine. A BOB won't fix that.

The most difficult part, however, is if you load it up with guns, knives, etc and take it into work, expect your coworkers to rifle thru it. "Whatcha got in the backpack, school shooter? Oh look, guns, knives, a tomahawk, rope, gee, you getting even with the boss today?"

Which is why in so many instances you can't take a BOB at all. Society won't let you, they enforce a no preparedness zone around themselves. Being zombies, they can't fathom while you'd be such a boy scout and try to be prepared - it's a negative attitude and it will be noted in your evaluation for continued employment.

So much more the reason to keep it in something that has no shred of looking tactical or containing any of the items mentioned, and strictly controlling it's access by others.
Old December 16, 2013, 12:24 PM   #33
kraigwy

As I said, I'm not going anywhere. I'm aware of storms and other natural disasters that can cause problems. But if something happens I'm better off here.

I don't live in town, I live a mile from the highway so I pretty much have to take care of my self anyway.

I have two generators. I have a 300 gal fuel tank. I use wood for heat (I do have central heat but haven't used it for 3 years). I have a full 500 gal propane tank. Loots of trees on my property.

If the snow gets too deep I have two tractors with loaders and a plow on my ATV.

I have a freezer full of game, and more deer, rabbits, etc on my property. I can hand pump water from the well if the pump goes out.

Worse case I can see is a house fire. But I have a large horse trailer with living quarters I keep stalked for fishing and hunting. I would just move out there until I built another house.

I have propane, gas lanterns and lots of candles.

I can't imagine going anywhere where I could better take care of myself then just staying home.

I'm a firm believer in being prepared, but I don't buy the SHTF crap.

Simple things like keep your car full of gas. The closest gas station is 10 miles to the west. If I decide to go to Rapid City (closest big town) its 70 miles east. I don't want to have to go to town to gas up so I can go the other way.

My wife knows how to make biscuits, so we keep a supply of flour on hand so I don't have to run to town for bread before I eat breakfast.

Even little things, my wife made me buy a Sat Phone cause I normally hunt a lone in areas with no cell service (Most of Wyoming) I can plug the Sat Phone in my computer and I have internet so I can still irritate people on the Firing Line.

You prepare for the little things, the big things will take care of themselves.

So that was the reason for my statement "I'm not going anywhere" wouldn't bother me if I never left this place again.

Just to add one more thing, don't forget books, nothing beats setting by a fire reading a good book when conditions keep you indoors.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; December 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old December 16, 2013, 12:56 PM   #34
FireForged

This is a recent post of mine, I figured I would cut paste it here since it applies

My BOB can probably be considered [minimal] at best but does address some very basic survival consideration. My basic concept was to be able to mitigate likely life-safety threats while keeping things light and mobile with an expected event duration of 72hrs. This is not a perfect kit but I am confident that is will afford me a measure of assistance that will aid me in getting somewhere [safer] or sheltering in place during a short lived crisis.

Contents:

Food/Water:
64 oz of canteen water which will have to be replenished by way of a Katadyn water filter. If I am able to stay with or have access to my vehicle (another 2.5 gallons). Food is limited to (1) Datrex food brick (16 bars), unsalted peanuts, vitamins and purhaps a couple of cliff bars.

Shelter:
French Shelter Half, 2 emergency blankets, plenty of 550 cordage, SOL escape Bivey

First Aid:
Compression bandages, 3m Wound strips, tourniquet, self adhering gauze, assorted boo-boo items

Fire making:
Cotton balls, bic lighters, mischmetal

Enemy:
personal firearm of choice, 1 extra magazine

Tools:
folding pocket knife, fixed blade knife, Leatherman squirt, spetznaz shovel, 2 led flashlights (extra batteries), canteen cup w/ integral stove, 6 in spork, p38 can opener, 3 feet of speed tape, USAF sewing kit, dummy line (decoy line)

Utility (other):
eton radio, $200 cash, extra clothing (season specific), Well broken in 6" boot, Hat, Gloves, 2 cotton bandanna's, poncho

Hygene:
Warrior wipes

Last edited by FireForged; December 17, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old December 16, 2013, 01:27 PM   #35
MJFlores

The best bug out bag you can have is: A duffel bag with a note inside. The note will say "lock your doors and windows, and stay home". Now close the bag and stay put.
Old December 16, 2013, 01:32 PM   #36
FireForged

In reading some of the posts I find it interesting that some say things like "im not going anywhere". Well, the premise behind a BOB is typically specific to a situation where you have no choice but to flee. Its not about making a rational decision to sit at home. A BOB comes into play when the situation, reason and common sense demands that you flee. Certainly if a person can simply sit in their easy chair, munching on trail mix and ride out a crisis without a problem, that would be preferable to being out in the open with the public at large- but that is not what we are talking about.

In the recent storms (2011) in my State, there was wide spread blackout through the northern part of the state for [11 days], no hotels, no grocery, no gas stations, no phone lines, no cell service, strained emergency services, gov imposed curfew, civil unrest, looting and many no longer had a home to go to or the devastation was so bad, they could not safely make it home. I was lucky, I got to sit at home and cook the contents of 2 deep freezers on my bbq but some did not have it so well. Its not always as easy as saying "stay at home".

Last edited by FireForged; December 16, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old December 16, 2013, 02:03 PM   #37
ClydeFrog

Points to consider....

I think Super Storm Sandy & Katrina brought a lot of good & a few bad points up to consider;

1) "Help"(first responders, LE, military troops, etc), may not be available right away or even able to reach you in a large scale event. You or your family(or "survivor group" ) might need to stave off any looters or hang tight until either the weather improves or more first responders(FEMA) get in place.
Unlike some TV news pundits & web wonks, I think that in a crisis or large scale disaster(like a hurricane flood earthquake etc) looters, street gangs, thugs, unstable people will be in your A/O(military term for area of operations) faster than the police, EMTs or national guard troops.
2) having basic needs(water food shelter first-aid/medications) will placate you & keep you focused on defense/protection. Food, power & gas seemed to be the major problems in the hurricane events I was in(mid 2000s). They were not on the scale of Katrina or Super-Storm Sandy but public services were delayed & some roads/highways were blocked.
3) training & + attitudes(morale) have a lot to do with it too. If you can treat first aid events, keep your property/family secure, stay safe, etc then you can use your training/skills to help others. If you stay + & show leadership, you might help a neighbor or victim survive rather than die or go into shock.

Clyde
www.ready.gov
Old December 16, 2013, 05:01 PM   #38
RBid

I think we have multiple conversations going on, here. There are "bug out bag" discussions, "bug in or bug out" discussions, and "get home/EDC bag" discussions. I'm glad to see that there are those on gun boards who understand the relative value of say, water vs firearm.

Interesting thread.
Old December 16, 2013, 05:36 PM   #39
csmsss

My own advice in such a situation (I couldn't be less concerned with what people pack in an evacuation) isn't about what to carry so much as it is about where to go.

The authorities will post evacuation routes, and highly *encourage* you, if not outright compel you to follow them. My own experience in evacuating from several hurricanes has found that to be an entirely foolish course of action. You will be stuck in massive traffic jams, you may find gas stations running out of gasoline and other essentials, and all of the accommodations on the official evacuation routes will be filled up before you know it.

No, I have found it's far better to take a 90 degree turn off the evacuation route on the closest crossing main road and go at least a hundred miles (preferably more) in the perpindicular plane before resuming the general heading of the recommended/forced evacuation route. You will have a much quicker path getting out of the way of danger, will find less competition for essentials and lodging, and, in general, will have a much easier time of it.

Don't believe me? Just do a little research on the hurricanes Rita and Ike evacuations.
Old December 16, 2013, 07:15 PM   #40
Jammer Six

Times we would leave:

When something makes it impossible, uncomfortable or inconvenient to stay. Examples: a fire guts the place, an earthquake causes it to collapse, or there is no water, gas and electricity.

Times we would stay:

When we've lost one (and only one) utility service. Example: minor power outage.

Just as the best armor is to be out of range, the best survival strategy for a disaster is to be outside the disaster zone.
Old December 16, 2013, 08:50 PM   #41
MJFlores

Stay in your home AT ALL COSTS. There's no reason to not have backup power supply, plenty of canned goods, and bottled water to survive for several weeks. You'll have oil lamps on hand, batteries, and anything needed to be relatively comfortable. If you're not doing this, then do it now. Our grandparents always canned and kept water, and so should you. Stay home, protect your family, and be comfortable and safe. Nothing in a bag is going to keep you comfortable alone much less a family dependent on you safe for more than several hours.
Old December 16, 2013, 09:46 PM   #42
csmsss

Quote:
Stay in your home AT ALL COSTS.
Ummm....that's spectacularly lousy advice in any number of different scenarios, and assumes that your home remains structurally sound before and after the catastrophic event.

For example:http://geology.com/usgs/hurricane-ike-pictures.shtml

Those folks living on the beach would likely have died had they followed your sage advice.
Old December 16, 2013, 09:57 PM   #43
Jammer Six

Not to mention that if we stayed home after a bad storm, we might miss Big Bang.
Old December 16, 2013, 10:19 PM   #44
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Stay in your home AT ALL COSTS.
Um, I think it probably should be "Stay with your home if the situation warrants.".
Old December 16, 2013, 10:27 PM   #45
csmsss

Quote:
Um, I think it probably should be "Stay with your home if the situation warrants."
I'd agree with that. While it's never possible to prepare for every possible scenario, it's foolish not to have a flexible survival strategy which allows for the fact that your home may become uninhabitable (whether temporary or permanent) for some length of time with short or no notice.
Old December 17, 2013, 12:05 AM   #46
TenRing

In addition to the things already mentioned by others, I keep a separate car bag for other members of the family.
  • Spare hats, gloves and socks for the wife and kids
  • Spare eyeglasses for family members who need them (even if old prescription)
  • A gallon sized zip lock bag full of granola bars
  • Bottled water
  • Basic tool kit (pliers, screwdrivers, sockets, ratchets, etc.)
  • Notepad and pens, pencils
  • Compass
  • Toileteries
  • Spare batteries for flashlights
  • Basic first aid kit
  • Key phone numbers and other data, written down and hidden

Most evacuations last a matter of a few days and you need to be able to make it until the authorities give the all clear to return home. That could mean living out of the car, van or tent in a state park rather than subjecting the family to living conditions at a designated shelter.

Any type of bag should be kept as simple as possible.
Old December 17, 2013, 02:41 PM   #47
FireForged

Good post by Ten-Ring ^^

I agree, disaster evacuations are certainly stressful and sometimes volatile but most are typically short lived.

Last edited by FireForged; December 17, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old December 17, 2013, 02:48 PM   #48
johnelmore

We all know how this thread will end. I have my stopwatch out and my only wish is that I could do the honor.

Wait a second, this thread is dated a few days ago. Im wondering how this one got through the wire. Im laughing and can only wonder. I thought for a moment I was on the AR15 website and had to look up.

Im going to hit the report button. Sorry Ive said too much.

Last edited by johnelmore; December 17, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old December 17, 2013, 02:51 PM   #49
FireForged

Quote:
Stay in your home AT ALL COSTS

Can you apply that same logic to a sinking ship? At some point, it is more prudent to get on a lifeboat rather than stay on a sinking ship. That point is determined in the moment and hopefully by someone with some good common sense. If a person wants to stay in their home [at all costs] during a crisis, I guess they can.. I however will evaluate my options vs risks vs consequences and choose a course of action that is most favorable to my immediate well being. If I can stay home, great... I would prefer to stay home but if I cant, I would like some ready-go gear to make that any decision to flee a little less complicated.

Katrina, other big storms, forrest fire and similar disasters come to mind.

Last edited by FireForged; December 17, 2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old December 17, 2013, 03:36 PM   #50
Dragline45

Unless you live in an area that may need to be evacuated due to natural disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, and earthquakes, I see no reason to need a bug out bag. If your house is not in danger of being destroyed, there's is no reason to leave it. I fail to see how grabbing a bag of assorted items and hunkering down in the woods is any safer or more convenient than your own home. Your home has everything you need and if need be can be fortified. Luckily I live in New England and the worst natural disasters we have are snow storms, and in that case you don't want to leave your home, so I see no need for a bug out bag.
Closed Thread