The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: In home carry or stage weapons
in home carry 75 58.59%
stage weapons conveniently 53 41.41%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 18, 2013, 09:16 AM   #51
WaltherRuger

I carry whenever I can, which includes in my home. I've thought about staging, but other than small single gun safes, I haven't done that.

I fully expect that I will never have to use my firearm. To be honest, I carry because I enjoy carrying, but the bottom line is: Most civilians will never have to draw and fire their weapon. That's the problem: You will never be able to predict when it will occur. So I carry whenever I can.

On a philosophical note, I trust the LORD to take care of me, but also realize that He gave us guidelines and tools to use on this earth. Protecting others is one of those guidelines.
Old November 18, 2013, 12:36 PM   #52
j3ffr0

I don't like to be encumbered with a bunch of mess.

I like to keep two locked, hidden, staged guns. One in a gunvault upstairs, and one in a gunvault downstairs.
Old November 18, 2013, 12:41 PM   #53
Psychedelic Bang

I don't like the idea of staged guns. I know some folk who do that, and they all live alone. I'm the only person in my family who shoots; weapons in my home are locked away unloaded. I don't lounge around armed.

I guess we all live, how we have to live, and be ok with risks we take. I'm more bothered by unsecured loaded weapons, than I am about home invasion.

Than again, there ain't much in here worth stealing...
Old November 18, 2013, 02:57 PM   #54
Tactical Jackalope

I'm really happy to see the number of "home carry" above "staging" just wish it was higher up.
Old November 18, 2013, 02:58 PM   #55
srommes

It's just my wife and myself....no cereal munchers. I keep my carry gun close by but not on my person. My wife keeps her gun within arms reach when I am not home. We both have secured night stand guns as well. We are comfortable with this arrangement.
Old November 19, 2013, 05:44 AM   #56
Jammer Six

If I were afraid enough either to carry or "stage weapons" around my home, I'd move.

Home is where I can sleep.
Old November 19, 2013, 06:28 AM   #57
Garycw

In home carry or staging firearms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
If I were afraid enough either to carry or "stage weapons" around my home, I'd move.

I'm not so sure it's so much being afraid as being prepared. Bad things don't just happen in bad neighborhoods. I'm not a fanatic about it but there's always one on the nightstand no matter where I'm sleeping. I don't CC 100% of the time, but at least one always in the car. I don't have children at home and there's always one that I can get to rather quickly even when showering. If outside I make sure they're secured or hidden in house.
Old November 19, 2013, 06:35 AM   #58
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post

I swear I've seen you say that a dozen times.

By that logic people with airbags and ABS in their cars are afraid 24/7 of crashing I guess.
Old November 19, 2013, 10:49 AM   #59
Glenn E. Meyer

Tell the Petit family that it wasn't a good idea to have a gun available quickly.

They lived in a nice neighborhood. Yes, there is a low probability you will be burned alived after being raped. Your choice.
Old November 19, 2013, 11:07 AM   #60
Chaz88

Part of the reason I keep a gun handy at home is because I have guns in my home. I am often leaving the house with gun cases and ammo boxes going to shoot trap, shoot at the range, or hunt. I live in a good neighborhood with nice people around. But nice people can still do bad things or have relatives that do bad things and I do not know who is driving by and watching what is going on. Now seeing me with gun cases might be a deterrent to some and an invitation to others. I cannot predict that, so I keep a gun handy just in case.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 19, 2013, 12:50 PM   #61
Tactical Jackalope

Wow...Everyone should have a read at what Dr. Meyer mentioned. Here's the link. Petit Family

Call me paranoid for carrying 24/7 again.
Old November 19, 2013, 12:56 PM   #62
Markus

Damn, that is a disturbing thing to read. Wikipedia's just-the-facts style makes it somehow even more chilling. Doesn't sound like it was a terrible neighborhood, does it?
Old November 19, 2013, 01:00 PM   #63
Tactical Jackalope

Not a terrible neighborhood at all. They we scouted from the supermarket and followed home where it all began. Watch your 6 people. God rest them.
Old November 19, 2013, 07:55 PM   #64
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Agree - all the examples have been one of a kind extreme examples where the odds are as great as winning the lottery or being hit by lightning. You have a better chance of dying in a car wreck or a simple fall inside your home (unless you live in a place like Detroit or the south side of Chicago), so keep it realistic. You cannot prepare for every scenario, and to go about your entire life living with the fear and paranoia that it might, sometime, possibly happen, is just as unhealthy as smoking and drinking a lot or facing an armed intruder.

Be prepared - yes; but also be realistic and stop living in constant fear
Old November 19, 2013, 09:54 PM   #65
Tactical Jackalope

I took psychology and sociology. Maybe you're just projecting because if you took those precautions you feel like you would be the one living in fear. It's okay man, you have nothing to be afraid of if you ARE taking those precautions. Don't live in fear. I bet if you actually do it, you'll get used to it and realize you're not in fear of anything or paranoid. Remember, people who think people who carry guns are paranoid and living in fear. So since you CCW, you fall directly under that category. You're making no sense. Just take the precautions necessary and remain calm.
Old November 19, 2013, 10:02 PM   #66
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I've seen this misconception stated many times but still, it never fails to generate an amused head shake.

Do people think that because I take CPR and have a first aid kit in my car I'm living in constant fear of being injured?

Do people think that because I have flashlights in my cars and in my house that I'm living in constant fear of darkness?

Do people think that because I try to have a few days worth of drinking water on hand at all times that I'm living in constant fear of thirst?

Do people think that because I have fire extinguishers that I check regularly and smoke detectors that I change the batteries in regularly that I'm living in constant fear of a house fire?

Do people think that because I get my flu shot each year that I live in constant fear of getting the flu?

Do people think that because I have a gun safe, deadbolts on my doors and a security system and that I activate/lock all of them when I'm out of the house that I'm living in constant fear of being burglarized?

Why is it that I can prepare for other events, some of them quite unlikely, without being accused of living in constant fear but if I prepare for someone trying to invade my home some people assume that I must be living in constant fear?

I prepare for the possibility of a home invasion just like I prepare for the other events I listed above. I don't live in constant fear of home invasion now, nor did I live in constant fear of home invasion before I owned guns. But I do prepare for the possibility better now than I did at one time.
Old November 19, 2013, 10:16 PM   #67
Tactical Jackalope

I think I'm going to quote that John. Then use it quoted by you to the next person who claims us to be "paranoid and living in fear".

Thank you for that excellent answer regarding that statement.
Old November 19, 2013, 10:30 PM   #68
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_in_FL View Post
Agree - all the examples have been one of a kind extreme examples where the odds are as great as winning the lottery or being hit by lightning. You have a better chance of dying in a car wreck or a simple fall inside your home (unless you live in a place like Detroit or the south side of Chicago), so keep it realistic. You cannot prepare for every scenario, and to go about your entire life living with the fear and paranoia that it might, sometime, possibly happen, is just as unhealthy as smoking and drinking a lot or facing an armed intruder.

I'm a non-smoker 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Do you suppose that I live in constant fear of lung cancer because I make that choice? I have first aid kits in my home and vehicle, and I carry one in a bag. Do you suppose that I live in constant fear of trauma? I have two fire extinguishers in my home. Do you suppose that I live in fear of a fire? I wear a safety belt every time I'm in a vehicle. Do you suppose I live in fear of car accidents? I exercise daily. Do you suppose that I live in constant fear of heart disease?

Here's a secret:

I don't worry about *any* of those things, because I appreciate that they are rare, and I make decisions to further reduce my chances of having to deal with them.

I'm glad to have done so. I have defended myself with a firearm (draw/no shoot), and prevented a house fire with an extinguisher. My girlfriend (an RN) has provided emergency care at multiple roadside accidents, using first aid kits from her vehicle. In each case, we could have been 'unlucky'. Instead, our forethought lead to positive conclusions.

I don't expect to change your mind, but I hope to have challenged your perspective. You may find yourself using the same types of points I've provided here to explain to an anti that YOU aren't paranoid. After all, 'paranoid' is commonly used to describe anybody more cautious than the accuser.
Old November 19, 2013, 10:31 PM   #69
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
I've seen this misconception stated many times but still, it never fails to generate an amused head shake.

Do people think that because I take CPR and have a first aid kit in my car I'm living in constant fear of being injured?

Do people think that because I have flashlights in my cars and in my house that I'm living in constant fear of darkness?

Do people think that because I try to have a few days worth of drinking water on hand at all times that I'm living in constant fear of thirst?

Do people think that because I have fire extinguishers that I check regularly and smoke detectors that I change the batteries in regularly that I'm living in constant fear of a house fire?

Do people think that because I get my flu shot each year that I live in constant fear of getting the flu?

Do people think that because I have a gun safe, deadbolts on my doors and a security system and that I activate/lock all of them when I'm out of the house that I'm living in constant fear of being burglarized?

Why is it that I can prepare for other events, some of them quite unlikely, without being accused of living in constant fear but if I prepare for someone trying to invade my home some people assume that I must be living in constant fear?

I prepare for the possibility of a home invasion just like I prepare for the other events I listed above. I don't live in constant fear of home invasion now, nor did I live in constant fear of home invasion before I owned guns. But I do prepare for the possibility better now than I did at one time.
Daaaamn it, John! I just submitted my wall of text (written between dealings with my munchkins) and found this post had hit before mine! Hahaha
Old November 19, 2013, 11:08 PM   #70
Psychedelic Bang

The Petit Crime, was very apocalyptic, and I simply can not think of an argument against in home carry when faced with the facts of that particular home invasion case.

Is it still possible to argue that, "staging unsecured loaded weapons," especially in a home where you do not live alone, and might be having friends and various people by on different occasions is not a smart idea? I think so. If you have young, or untrained adults and children. If you like to have a maintenance person in out of every now and then. Maybe a pool guy comes over. Perhaps you get a visit from an old college buddy. Its cocktail night for the wife and her friends.

No matter what famous crime is put out there, as a call to be armed on ones property, I still believe that unsecured, unlocked, and loaded weapons is not, "gun safety."

Now, as far as, "in the home, carry on ones person." That is a personal choice. That is a choice we all must make; it depends on where we live, how we assess our risk, and if we feel that perhaps we may be more of a target than our neighbors or not.

Wow.. That Petit case is so crazy. I wonder, "what if they even had just a big dog?" What could have worked out differently for them?

It is very sad, that those are the types of criminals that are out there. Sad, and confusing, and unexplainable.
Old November 20, 2013, 07:03 AM   #71
Garycw

Working with LE in the 80's &90's I saw a lot of bad things happen that never made the news headlines. Sometimes people really don't know what's going on all around them in there neighborhoods. With heroin , meth, bath salts, crocodile, and many others at epidemic proportions its hard to say where or when you may need to be prepared to defend yourself and family.It's not Living in fear or paranoid, its being realistic and prepared. It's also a good idea to have emergency food, water and back up power. Although you probably already know this living in Florida BigD.
Old November 20, 2013, 07:19 AM   #72
Tactical Jackalope

Amen to that ^

Still 80 degrees here in Miami. Yesterday we had flooding from the rain.

I too know the amount of things that do not make the news. Home invasions and murders being the bunch. Not to mention rape. They never show so much as a quarter of what goes on in this city on the local news.

People are living in a world of gummy bears and unicorns. Burying their heads in the sand. Unaware that a head buried in the sand, can still get cut off. (Meaning that does not help you and ignorance is not bliss.)
Old November 20, 2013, 09:55 AM   #73
pax

You know what surprises me? Even though I know better, I'm still shocked at the number of gun owners who ascribe mystic powers to the firearm.

Dude, it's just a gun. Putting it on when I get dressed has exactly as much emotional meaning as when I drop a tube of Chapstick into my pocket -- no more, no less. It's just what I do when I put my clothes on, drop a few things into my pockets or add a hat to the top of my head or whatever. When one of those things I wear everyday happens to be a gun, that hardly means I'm walking around the house "like I'm on a mission"!

Gotta feel sorry for people who put so much emotional baggage into inanimate objects, but I'm not one of them. I'm just, you know, getting dressed.

pax

Denial is a common tactic that substitutes deliberate ignorance for thoughtful planning. – Charles Tremper
Old November 20, 2013, 10:35 AM   #74
Tactical Jackalope

pax? Isn't that why we are all here? It's not the "only" mode of defense by any means. BBB- brains before bullets. That goes without saying. It's a last resort. I haven't seen anyone say anything "magical" about guns. It is what it is, a first line of defense in worst case scenario "stopper" when the bullets hit their mark. What's so wrong with that?

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; November 20, 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typos underlinded
Old November 20, 2013, 01:23 PM   #75
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
pax? Isn't that why we are all here? It's not the "only" mode of defense by any means. BBB- brains before bullets. That goes without saying. It's a last resort. I haven't seen anyone say anything "magical" about guns. It is what it is, a first like of defense in worst case scenario "stopper" when bullets hit their mark. What's so wrong with that?
I think you're missing the perspective she writes from, C. She carries everywhere. I can see how it might be possible to read it as you did, though.