The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 10:39 PM   #1
rcase1234

Question concerning chokes

Hello everyone. I'm sure lots of you remember my thread on "Which Semi Auto" and at the end I decided on an 1100. Well I found one I like just it was a fixed full choke. How much would it cost to get the barrel drilled out,or whatever the term may be, so it can accept RemChoke tubes? Would it be a better option than buying a new barrel?
Old January 21, 2013, 10:55 PM   #2
charlie in md

Mike Orlen

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=12&t=36237

Great work and short turnaround time. If you register with shotgunworld and mention it to him when setting up your order, you get a discount. I had the chokes opened up on my SKB O/U and it was only a week turnaround!
Old January 22, 2013, 12:24 AM   #3
4D5

Not long ago I found the same thing, 1100 with 26" fixed choke barrel. Nice gun at a good price.

Like you, I wanted to be able to use screw in chokes. I priced getting the work done and it was more than the cost of a brand new barrel with three chokes and wrench.

I picked up a 28" vent rib from Cabelas on sale for $219.
All factory, brand new and no wait for gunsmithing.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remin...h-All+Products
Old January 22, 2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Virginian

If you had followed the link in the post above you would have seen that Mike Orlen could have beaten the price on your new barrel by a considerable amount. I am sure there are others who can do the work well, but the only two I would personally vouch for are Mike and Brileys, and Mike has much better pricing, but he doesn't have the tooling to do everything Briley's can do. Usually RemChokes cannot be retrofitted to original fixed choke Remington barrels, but I have and have had a couple of other systems and they all work fine. Mike installed Colonials I think in my LT20.
Also, there are RemChoke barrels and Light/Target Contour Remchoke barrels, and a retrofitted fixed choke barrel will feel a lot more like a Light Contour than a standard RemChoke barrel. Just things to consider before jumping.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #5
jmr40

If I already owned a gun with family history with fixed chokes and wanted to have it threaded I'd do it. Or if I wanted an unusual barrel length not offered at the factroy. But in this case if you had wanted a gun with choke tubes, it would have been a lot simpler, and less expensive to have held out and bought one with them factory installed. It would have likely sold for about the same price as what you bought.

Look at your options, but by the time you pay shipping, pay for the work, and buy a set of choke tubes, I'm betting it will be a lot cheaper to just trade for a gun that came from the factory with them.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Virginian

From where you are right now, if you send your gun barrel to Mike Orlen you can probably have a choke tubed barrel and a set of tubes for $150 and have it back in your hands in 2 or 3 weeks.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:58 PM   #7
rcase1234

For that I'll spend another $100 and get a new barrel. I was thinking it would be cheaper than $150 to get some choke tubes installed. If I get this gun I'll get a new barrel. I'm going to look it over this week and possibly put it in layaway. Thanks for the help people
Old January 22, 2013, 02:18 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Mike charges about $65 or so for threading the barrel - then you have the chokes themselves, about 30-35 each, plus return shipping