The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 18, 2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Crankgrinder

9mm crimp/oal

i have 2 sets of load data in 9mm luger. one calls for 1 min oal of 1.150 and the other 1.065. With the cast bullets i have , when seated to 1.150, the crimp falls in between the lube groove just below the first drive band and does not hold the bullet in securely as it can be moved in and out. i have a can of power pistol gunpowder that i intend to use. we are aware that deeper seating raises chamber pressure and the round i loaded was just a dummy round with no powder or primer to check the function of things but ran into this. has anyone else experienced this situation? what solutions? any advice would be much apreciated
Old September 18, 2011, 07:46 PM   #2
armoredman

Start at the bottom of your data, and load to the crimp groove. Which bullet is it?
For example, I load my 124 grain Lee Tumble Lube home cast boolits at 1.095, but the Lee Single Lube groove 124 grain home cast has a slightly fatter ogive, and goes down to 1.080 for reliable feeding in my CZ pistols.
Heck, I'm loading Berrys' 124 grain plated hollow point at 1.01 COAL with no issues.

Also, check the data from the powder manufactere, and make sure it's current - Accurate Arms just changed all thier data a few months ago. Find the manufacturers website, and see what they have for your particular bullet.

Last edited by armoredman; September 18, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old September 18, 2011, 08:33 PM   #3
Crankgrinder

thanx armoredman, i rechecked the dummy rounds and discovered i did not remove the spent primer from the loose dummy case making it seem slightly longer than it realy was, and i looked at another which checked at 1.147 which had no spent primer thus reading from the bottom of the case that had crimped on the second drive ring. ill go to alliant for oal data and ill try your technique when i load live rounds for my beretta. surely there will be one thatll work acceptably.
Old September 18, 2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Crankgrinder

btw my bullets are also lee tuble lube groove 124 gr.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:55 PM   #5
armoredman

I get good results with that boolit.