The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 3, 2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Georgian

Do I need to install a magazine extention?

Hey yall. I have a plain jane riot model 870; 18.5" cylinder bore barrel, 4+1 capacity, with wood stocks. Its the classic, old-school police look, but I have been contemplating going with a Tank Rifle shop extention, but am unsure whether it will be better in the long run. The shotgun has been relegated strictly to home defense use, as I do not hunt with it. The old wood stocks either need to be replaced or refinished, which I am not experienced with. If I replace them I was hoping to find some police trade-in stocks. Does anyone know where I could find some? Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless
Old February 3, 2011, 05:02 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

Check ebay. they had a lot of used stocks yesterday.
Old February 3, 2011, 05:41 PM   #3
70extreme

4 + 1 is fine for me. The 870 handles better without the extension.
Old February 3, 2011, 06:59 PM   #4
scorpion_tyr

I really like the look of wood stock and forend with a tube extension. I say go for it. Just don't forget the dremmel
Old February 3, 2011, 09:23 PM   #5
mwar410

I just tested mine at 10 yds, it patterned just under 10" with 2 3/4" #4 buck, and that was personally shortened. I didn't see any reason for more than 5 shots.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

Whether you need an extension or not depends on the circumstances in which you're most likely to use the gun.
If you live in a quiet area, the police respond fairly fast, and the most likely threat is going to be one or two burglars or intruders who will likely run at the first sign you're armed, you may not need it.

If you live in an isolated area and may have to hold them off for a while, a rough part of town, the police are slow, and you may be facing a small mob, you may need an extension.

Just remember in accessorizing a shotgun, the reason a shotgun is so deadly really isn't just the power, it's the speed you can get on target and shoot.
Anything at all you add will increase the weight and bulk and will actually slow you down.
In shotguns speed kills.... the bad guys.
You have to do a case by case "Real World" cost-benefit analysis to determine if the loss of speed is worth whatever gain you may get.
Too many people wind up with shotguns that weight half again the weight from adding what are really things for a range toy, not a true defense gun.

Truth is, in most situations the standard police type 18" barrel plain pump gun is the perfect defense gun.
If you live in something other than "most situations" you may want to add accessories, but remember that simple is better.
Old February 4, 2011, 04:47 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

With a barrel that short, any extension is likely to stick out in front of the muzzle (I don't know the particular one you are thinking of) where it is subject to getting bent, dinged, or damaged. And what do you really get? 1 round? 2? On a longer barrel gun you can get an 8 shot and have it supported, but on the riot gun length......

How likely is a situation where you are going to shoot your gun dry with 4+1? I think one of the shell carriers, like a buttstock sleeve, or even one of the ones that mounts to the receiver is a practical thing. If you fire a round or two, or even three, you have shells you can feed into the mag, while still having a couple rounds in the gun just in case.

If you practice it a little, its quite fast to do.
Old February 4, 2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

Several companies make extensions that won't stick out beyond an 18 1/2" or even 18" barrel.
These hold an extra 2 shells.
With any extension, you should use a barrel clamp to support the extension so it won't get knocked off the gun.

Good 18 1/2" extensions are made by the Remington factory, Choate, Tank's Rifle Shop, Wilson, and several others.
Old February 5, 2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Incognito

This one's got the Wilson Combat +2 extension along with a Clark Customs barrel clamp; rock solid. The stocks were bought on e-Bay for $25 about 6 years ago. Lately they've made a come back and are getting more expensive.

Old February 5, 2011, 10:25 AM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

The current ATF study proposes making a shotgun with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds "not suitable for sporting purposes." Although they discuss it only in terms of importation, it is worth noting that 18 USC 921(b) says that any firearm with a bore greater than 0.50" that is "not suitable for sporting purposes" is a destructive device and must be registered under the NFA.

So on top of the normal considerations, you have to consider whether the benefit of the extension tube is worth having the potential NFA hassle or having to get rid of the extension if the ATF adopts that regulation.
Old February 5, 2011, 10:37 AM   #11
zippy13

Incognito,
Come on now, let's get some wear marks on that closet queen. Has it ever been shot?
Old February 5, 2011, 10:40 AM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...any extension is likely to stick out..." Had an 18.375" barrel on mine(old Wingmaster before they became high end) with a Choate 2 shot extension. Never had any issues with it coming loose. Didn't stick out. More than 2 certainly will though. Extensions mostly just look mean.
Guy came into the shop long ago with a 10 round mag on a 30" barrel. Forget what shotgun. Took 2 guys to carry, loaded, but it looked mean.
Old February 5, 2011, 11:04 AM   #13
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy13
Come on now, let's get some wear marks on that closet queen. Has it ever been shot?
Lol, that's my duty shotgun. It comes to work with me everyday, and yes it gets shot every other month.
I do try to take really good care of it so your comment is very much appreciated; thanks
Old February 5, 2011, 11:18 AM   #14
zippy13

>I do try to take really good care of it
You've succeeded, bravo!
Old February 5, 2011, 11:55 AM   #15
StuntManMike

Quote:
Just remember in accessorizing a shotgun, the reason a shotgun is so deadly really isn't just the power, it's the speed you can get on target and shoot.
Anything at all you add will increase the weight and bulk and will actually slow you down.
In shotguns speed kills.... the bad guys.
You have to do a case by case "Real World" cost-benefit analysis to determine if the loss of speed is worth whatever gain you may get.
Too many people wind up with shotguns that weight half again the weight from adding what are really things for a range toy, not a true defense gun.
I am going to go the other way with this and state that the extension, due to the added weight, will speed you up. The added weight helps with recoil and muzzle climb, which makes follow up shots faster.
Old February 5, 2011, 12:06 PM   #16
rjrivero

14+1 now you've got something. This is the X-Rail baby. The "BIG ONE" holds 22 rounds.

Old February 5, 2011, 07:36 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

I agree that reduced felt recoil due to the added weight of an extended magazine may be a blessing, expecially if you have synthetic stocks as do I. (Some even suggest that I increase the weight by inserting spent hulls filled with shot into the end of the extesion to relieve recoil.) The 2 round factory extension on my Remington 870 ends flush with the end of the 18" barrel (which is actually 17 7/8" from the end of the receiver but is legal since barrels are measured from the face of the closed bolt for that purpose.)

Last edited by TheKlawMan; February 6, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old February 6, 2011, 02:20 PM   #18
TheKlawMan

There is a Remington factory 870 2 shot extension for sale on the accessories buy, sell, or trade forum.