The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 5, 2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Any .45

Texas CWP concerns.

Hello all,

I just moved to the Midland,TX area and have already got my gun club membership and already getting ready to go to my first local IDPA shoot. My concern is I want to attain my Texas CWP, I have my Florida CWP and even a UPIN number, I do have some misdemeanors that I acquired in 2003 and 2007, Disorderly conduct, some traffic stuff and a really ignorant filing a false police report, that one was a circumstantial thing I could have fought it but it would have cost me money and possibly my job, due to the fact that I needed to be out in the field on a job and couldn't take the time off. Anyway, will any of these be a problem in TX for my CHL or should I just keep using my Florida one which is still legal to continue to use even after I'm officially a TX resident, both in TX and in FL. Thanks for the help, I have read the the eligibility but I am still not sure.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old April 5, 2010, 09:58 AM   #2
NavyLT

Here's the requirements:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...11.htm#411.172

The 2003 misdemeanors should not be a problem, the code above specifies convictions within the last 5 years of certain misdemeanors is disqualifying.

The 2007 misdemeanors may be disqualifying, depending on what they were for, until they are over 5 years old.

I guess I would wait until 2012 (5 years after the 2007 misdemeanors) to apply for the Texas CHL.

IANAL.
Old April 5, 2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

If you have the Florida permit, you don't need the Texas permit. Texas honors the Florida permit.
Old April 6, 2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Just a thought, if you move to TX - do you have to tell FL that you moved? And if you do, does that change the status of the permit/license.

TX says if the FL one is good, it is good here but if you don't inform FL of the move, does that invalidate it?
Old April 6, 2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E Meyer
....do you have to tell FL that you moved? And if you do, does that change the status of the permit/license.

TX says if the FL one is good, it is good here but if you don't inform FL of the move, does that invalidate it?

Florida law provides that "Within 30 days after the changing of a permanent address... the licensee shall notify the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services of such change." Ch 790.06 Par 8

The only other mention of anything pertinent (that I see) is in regards to applying for renewal, which simply specifies that "out-of-state residents must also submit fingerprints and fingerprint processing fee" with the renewal application.

I would assume that this means that upon submitting the change of address the permit would simply become "non-resident" rather than resident. The question then becomes whether or not Texas recognizes non-resident Florida permits for Texas residents. I know that some states have reciprocity agreements that do not apply to resident of their own state.
Old April 6, 2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

TX has said it would recognized nonresident permits for TX residents.

However, I would personally contact them if I were in that situation to have a communication to that effect.

Whether the police know this is another question - you might take the ride.

I would recommend getting the TX CHL as soon as possible if you are becoming a resident. Ignore saving a bit of money vs. the risk. IMHO.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:01 PM   #7
MTT TL

Why not a Florida non resident permit?
Old April 7, 2010, 01:04 AM   #8
Any .45

Thanks all for the input! Much obliged!
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old April 7, 2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
TX has said it would recognized nonresident permits for TX residents.

However, I would personally contact them if I were in that situation to have a communication to that effect.

Whether the police know this is another question - you might take the ride.
Texas makes no distinction between resident and non-resident permits. Texas DOES have a reciprocity agreement with Florida where each agrees to honor the other's permits and this has been in place 10 years.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo...n/pr090700.htm

So yeah, whether the police know it or not is sort of the risk everyone runs with all the laws. The police certainly don't know everything. However, I haven't heard of anyone getting busted for carrying a gun with a permit from another state that is honored by Texas. It has probably happened, but then again there were those who initially got hassled when Texas first introduced the CHL program and certain LEOs did not wish to honor the new law...just as a few threatened not to do with legalized concealed carry in automobiles. They all got appropriately squushed with time, however.