The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 11, 2007, 06:04 PM   #1
MPP1423

1851 Shooting Too High

I Have A Couple Of 1851 44's In A Brass Frame That Shoot About6-8 Inchs High Faithfully Every Time.i Have Seen It On Here Before On How To Replace The Front Site With A Braising Rod(if I Spelled That Right).how Is This Done Or Is There Another Way To Get It On Target.im Dealing With It Just Fine But It Would Be Nice To Not Have To Worry About Aiming Low To Hit Dead On.
Old February 11, 2007, 06:13 PM   #2
marcseatac

All my Colts shoot 6 inches high using my normal sight picture. The last time I shot one of them I buried the front sight post deep in the hammer notch just so the point of the front sight barely showed and guess what? It shot right to point of aim. Both my Walker and Dragoon and 1861 Colt all shoot to point of aim if I do this.
Old February 11, 2007, 07:30 PM   #3
MPP1423

Well,i Suppose That Would Work Too.i've Just Been Aiming Low And Hitting On Target That Way But I'll Give That A Try To Next Time.i Read Somewhere That These Pistols(colt Type)were Sighted In Back In The Day At 75 Yrds And Thats Why The Hit High.not Sure If Thats True But Sounds Like It Could Be I Guess.
Old February 11, 2007, 08:15 PM   #4
marcseatac

I had to do the same thing with my Marlin 1895 G in .45-70, if I just barely show the very top of the front bead in the bottom of the notch it shoots like a champ. I have no adjustment left on the rear sight. Once you get used to doing it it works real well.

Now it has a scope so that made it a really accurate gun.