The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 24, 2013, 07:35 PM   #101
Justice06RR

I've owned 3 Taurus semiauto pistols and have had zero issues with them. Currently I still own and carry one of their semi's, a PT 740Slim and have no issues so far.

In my experience, their quality is good. Not the best, but you are also not paying top dollar for their firearms. I've had worse experiences with some Keltec's and even Glock's

From what everyone is saying, their QC and CS are the main downfalls. Thankfully I have never had to put their CS and Warranty to the test. I don't know if you can call me one of the "lucky ones". But 3 of their pistols I have owned has not given me any problems.

Of course YMMV.
Old September 24, 2013, 07:42 PM   #102
Doug S

Much of the so-called bashing going on in these threads are the Taurus fans bashing those who share their honest problems with the Taurus brand. I've been "bashed" for telling people that I've owned 7 Taurus guns- 4 of which required at least one trip back to the factory. Instead of looking at my experience of being someone who gave Taurus more than a fair chance- I've been called dishonest-basher-etc. Fact is in my experience Taurus has proven itself to be unreliable with less than stellar service IMO. I think others have summed it up well in saying that with Taurus it's a gamble. You might get a good one but you also have a better than average chance of a bad one. To all the people who consider a comment such as this one "bashing" - I just can't comprehend their logic. I think it's not logic-but emotion.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old September 24, 2013, 11:02 PM   #103
rickyrick

I think from reading this and other Taurus posts... It can be assumed that it is a gamble ....

I own one, and it's been a great pistol.... That's hardly a sample to make any claims by....
I also owned one Yugo, and it was a reliable car ... Despite claims and most people's experience
Old September 25, 2013, 07:29 AM   #104
Skans

Quote:
There was a problem with the heat treatment in the U.S. guns for a while and the military was very unhappy.
I've been following the issue concerning the locking blocks, both in Taurus and Beretta guns for some time. In my opinion, the original design of these guns had a serious design flaw, which was the locking block. If you get a chance to examine one of these original locking blocks, you will see how this pivotal part can easily break and was just not beefy enough to take the stress. Beretta made at least one (perhaps two) improvements to the locking blocks over the years. Taurus did not, from what I understand. However, and I am not 100% on this, from what I've read there is a chance that the new Beretta locking blocks will fit in the Taurus PT copies.
Old September 26, 2013, 07:38 AM   #105
OlinB

I purchased a Taurus PT-92 AF way back on February 27, 1994 the day before the Brady bill took effect. I love this gun. Never had the first problem from it and it is the most accurate and sweetest shooting gun I own. So far anyway.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:17 AM   #106
LockedBreech

Skans, you're correct about the locking block redesigns by Beretta. If my information is current, the 92FS I just ordered is a Revision 3 locking block, which is a substantial improvement over the original design. Even with the old design, I don't think failures were ever commonplace, just not unheard of. I have heard of very few issues with the newest locking block, but will probably replace mine around 10,000 rounds to be safe.
Old September 26, 2013, 12:44 PM   #107
Skans

Quote:
I have heard of very few issues with the newest locking block, but will probably replace mine around 10,000 rounds to be safe.
Same here - I think Beretta's newest locking block has really addressed the problem I had. And, I do think they will fit in the Taurus guns. If that's the case, then for about $30, you can upgrade a Taurus PT99 or 92 to probably be a decent gun. If this can be done, I would STRONGLY recommend doing it! I would still stay away from the older ones with the nickel finish - that finish just didn't hold up well at all. On a positive note, the PT99 was quite accurate as I recall.
Old September 26, 2013, 01:33 PM   #108
batmann

I actually bought two 24/7 Pro's in .40 S&W, one for me and one for my son. Never had a bobble, but the trigger was/is horrible. I sold mine and bought a Glock 22 and have never looked back.
My son still has his and shoots it on a regular basis and seems to like it. I felt the quality was below a Glock or M&P and mags are pricey, IF you can find any. If. You can deal with the trigger, they are ok for the money.
Old September 26, 2013, 06:31 PM   #109
histed

While back a member commented that there was only one reason for starting a thread like this. I agree - I wanted honest information, based on experience. I'll pass on Taurus, at least for now. My budget may be limited, but I'd prefer to wait a little longer, save a little more and have a better quality firearm. I'm leaning toward the LC9 or the Nano for CCW. Thanks to all who provided useful, experience based comments.
Old September 27, 2013, 11:30 AM   #110
LockedBreech

Some new info to consider. Brazilian police just recalled 98,000 pistols. While it's true that all manufacturers have recalls and errors, this error lets the pistol discharge by being shaken lightly.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...47-ds-pistols/
Old September 29, 2013, 10:58 AM   #111
Jbar4Ranch

I spent a few years as Gun Room Manager for Sportsman's Warehouse and would send back revolvers on a weekly basis for warranty service, and often more than one at a time. The Judge seemed to be the worst of the bunch, but they all had problems.
Autos, however, I believe I only sent back a single one and that was for a problem with a set screw on the sight.

Based on my experience, I would never, ever buy a Taurus revolver, but the autos seem to work just fine, go figure.

SASS 47015
Old September 29, 2013, 01:49 PM   #112
NickySantoro

Sometimes nothing. Other times everything. It seems to be a luck-of-the-draw situation.

This^ My brother bought a Taurus .38 some years ago. He put 50 rounds through it as a test, cleaned it, and hasn't fired it since. Like my Rossi, it was fine out of the box and does it's duty as a backup house gun. Most Taurus are fine, but they just don't have the same QC as Smiths so you might find more duds. IMO, if you put 50 rounds through it without a bobble, you should be good to go. Problems due to manufacturing defects tend to show up soon. FWIW, that has been my experience.
YMMV
Old October 29, 2013, 05:45 PM   #113
dwhite

Up this thread in post #61 I was complaining about my Taurus 24/7 and parts availability.

I finally shipped it to Taurus through a Taurus dealer. Told me it would cost $25. Got it back a week later, fixed free of charge. Also, Taurus picked up the shipping to Miami once the dealer called them and told them it was coming in for warranty work. This is a gun made in 2007.

I'm happy. It's a good gun. If they can do a repair in a week for free, it's all good.

All the Best,
D. White
Old October 30, 2013, 12:00 PM   #114
kerreckt

I have owned and do own several. My personal experience is that there is nothing "wrong" with Taurus handguns. Like anything else it comes down to expectations and luck of the draw (no pun intended). As is true with any manufactured product, there will be problems and some things get past quality control. I understand that their customer service is lacking. I believe this because I have heard it too many times to be a pure fabrication. I have never had to deal with them because my firearms worked as they should. Perhaps a better question is "What is wrong with Taurus customer service?"
Old October 30, 2013, 12:01 PM   #115
In memory of dad

Taurus

Making to many different models with more coming out daily so to many machines running different designs! Quality of new ones well,,,,,, not for me.
The 92 still descent but the rest I have to pass on! Quality control is slack with them from experience and had several NEW ones go back before I jumped off there bandwagon
Old November 1, 2013, 03:54 PM   #116
WESHOOT2

bell curve

I, like Mr. Mike Irwin, have had my Taurus PT22 for many years (and a higher rd-ct ).
I use it as my back-up always, and keep it near to hand always.

But, the truth is Taurus resides on the wrong side of the bell curve of "reliable accurate durable" guns.
Because you get what you pay for.

Quote:
no American law enforcement or military are issued Taurus firearms

This is false; I have a friend working for a Federal agency who was issued a Taurus handgun.
Old November 1, 2013, 04:08 PM   #117
TinyDee

It is simple to me, I had one bad time, will never have another but if you want and you desire, go for it. You will either be pro or con after that...
Old November 1, 2013, 07:56 PM   #118
BB61

bought a pt740 slim as cc gun have run 2 to 3 hundred rounds through it factory and hand loads without an issue. accuracy is good for a sub compact groups well 40 s&w is snappy in such a small framed gun but the mag extension helps alot. This is my first Taurus but so far so good
just my 2 cents
Old November 1, 2013, 11:02 PM   #119
mordis

My first semi auto was a Tuarus pt 945. I loved the gun it self. Problem is, the magazines were crap. Every shot the base plate came off and bullets out of the gun. Nothing I tried would keep the plate on.

Back then you couldn't really get stuff online yet, and I didn't have the net. So I sold it.

Nothing like firing a shot and seeing all the ammo promptly exit the grip.
Old November 2, 2013, 02:21 AM   #120
RX-79G

Quote:
You get what you pay for.
That's been posted several times in this thread. It's really not true. It isn't hard to think of multiple brands that offer products at Taurus-like prices without much or any quality concerns. Ruger, for instance. Even Keltec seems to do better than Taurus for LESS money. Stoeger, Canik, RIA, etc. Value guns of reasonable reputation are out there.

This thread would make a great case study for a psychology class on consumer habits. Once people put money into something, they would rather put up with problems than admit to themselves that they made a poor choice. American car companies have been benefiting from this for decades.
Old November 2, 2013, 10:28 AM   #121
swmp9jrm

I personally own 6 Taurus handguns - 4 semi's and 2 wheel guns. I have never had a performance issue with any of them. I've carried more than one of them as my EDC at various times, and I've never once questioned the reliability. They all have many more than a thousand rounds through them. I load 'em up, pull the trigger, and they go bang - every time. I have four brothers, and collectively they own probably another 12-15 Taurus handguns, and none of them has ever had a performance issue with any of the guns. According to the haters, we must be the luckiest bunch of guys in the world. Are the fit and finish of my Taurus guns as good as my Smith's, Ruger's, or Sig's? Absolutely not - but I didn't pay nearly as much for them either. IMHO, Taurus offers a good gun at a good price. YMMV.
Old November 2, 2013, 01:58 PM   #122
RX-79G

Quote:
According to the haters, we must be the luckiest bunch of guys in the world.
What's a "hater"? Someone who has had a bunch of problems with Taurus and mentioned them here? Or are you calling those people liars?

The simple answer to your question is that 15 firearms is a small enough sample size to not have stumbled onto a 1 in 10 failure rate.

Taurus sells lots and lots of guns. It wouldn't take a huge percentage problem to create hundreds or even thousands of problem guns that people end up talking about.

This would contrast with something like Glock, which pumps just as many firearms out but has such a comparatively low failure rate that there just isn't anything to talk about. Is it unfair to Taurus to note this difference?
Old November 2, 2013, 02:46 PM   #123
swmp9jrm

Quote:
What's a "hater"? Someone who has had a bunch of problems with Taurus and mentioned them here? Or are you calling those people liars?
I consider 'haters' as those folks whose 'second cousin's brother's nephew's sister-in-law's next door neighbor said they had a crappy Taurus gun' - they seem to do the bulk of the Taurus bashing. I absolutely do not question that there are folks who have genuine problems with Taurus guns - just like there are folks who have genuine problems with virtually every brand. So, no, I'm not calling those folks liars.

What irks me is that Taurus seems to garner more 'I had a problem so I'm never buying a Taurus again' comments. There are many, many threads on most every forum that sound like the same song over and over. All I'm saying is that, based on my experience, I don't see the reason for the hatred. And I would say that despite the small number, a sample of twenty or so guns purchased over a period of 10-15 years in widely different parts of the country offers a reasonable snapshot of the brand - if the quality is as bad as some make it sound you would think we almost certainly should have gotten a problematic gun by now.

Trust me - I am not a Taurus fanboy. I have most every brand in my inventory. There are a lot of them that I like better than Taurus. Some of them I've had issues with, but that has not caused me to say 'I'll never buy another one'.
Old November 2, 2013, 05:59 PM   #124
Sarge

It's not hatred. It's "Once burned, twice learned."
Old November 3, 2013, 12:19 AM   #125
n5lyc

My first Taurus was inherited from my dad,( he had it since the late 70's) it was a .38 with a 4 inch barrel, and adjustable sights (copy of the S&W 15 combat masterpiece) it even has the hammer mounted fitting pin like the smith.
It never has any problems EVER, and sits in my wife's bedside table.

In the mid - late 80's i was a ffl dealer, I bought a 6 inch .357 Taurus, never had any issues with it. Shot hundreds of rounds through it.
I dropped it out of a shoulder holster while riding a motorcycle, at 65mph, it bounced down the road, tore the rear sight off, the hammer spur off, and the grip panels. It was gouged by the pavement, but it never discharged.
Sent it back to Taurus, it was replaced for free.. No questions asked.

At about the same time a customer had his 4 inch :357 go through a house fire, it cooked off all the rounds in the chambers.
Taurus replaced it for free also.

In the early 90's I was shooting a very custom S&W model 10 in PPC competition, I bought a used .38 Taurus from a co worker for $75. I took it to Charlie Calcote in Boyce La. To see what we could do on a budget. We converted it to a round butt, put a 5.5 inch heavy barrel on it, and a red dot sight, and added a front ball detent to the crane, and smoothed up the trigger, and made it double action only.
I used it in competition for over 3 years, and over 10,000 rounds, no issues.

It was one of the best guns I ever owned, regardless of manufacturer.

Since then I have owned Colts, S&W, ruger, Kahr pm9, Baretta, Glock, Sig,Walther, FEG, and others.
Mostly autos.

Fast forward to 3 months ago, I have not owned or bought a new Taurus product in that time.

I traded for a Taurus 992 blued .22lr/.22 mag.
After over 3500 rounds of .22 lr so far with no issues.
I don't like the cheesy red insert on the front sight, and the trigger is getting better.

Other than that, no complaints.

5 Taurus guns in over 30 years, I can't complain.

Bottom line, I may just be lucky, all makers have some guns that have issues, some more than others.

I have seen colts and S&W's with issues, and I know Taurus has them too.
As long as they stand behind their product I have no problem with buying them again.

The .38 and the .357 were the only 2 ever carried or relied on for self defense.
All the others were and are for recreational shooting.

For daily carry, I carry a glock. (Open the can of worms now..)
2. He will be aiming the NEW Weapon at someone carrying an AK.

Last edited by n5lyc; November 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM.