The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 30, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Venom1956

Want to build custom 9mm revolver. any suggestions on what shop to work with?

First off let me apologize for the post via phone. It limits my ability to type i'll correct it after work. So long have I wanted some sort of 'pure' comp/target revolver. I was hoping my DW15 would suffice but sadly it leaves me wanting. =(

I've decided to go ahead and build my own revolver! well pay someone to anyway...

Here is what i'd like: s&w frame no lock (K, L, possibly N?)

blued but stainless could work
Square butt
Heavy Slab side barrel like my dw15. length 5" or 6"
adj sights
I want to have it be a smooth DAO setup. hammer flush to the frame. from what I've read DAO can be made even smoother the a DA/SA? lastly I'd like it in 9mm... =(

I recently looked @ all the calibers i use... much more then I thought. .38s cost more then 9mm. it's kind of a pain bring all kinds of different ammo to the range. So what do you think? What custom smiths or shops do you recommend? I don't have much money but I can save up if its worth it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; June 30, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old June 30, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Venom1956

I want my barrel to be the correct tighter 9mm rather then the regular .38/.357 diameter. Basically I'd like a gun that reminds me of a PPC revolver. all business but a very clean look. no logos, writing, etc.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old June 30, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Jim Watson

I hate to see these posts about one-off total custom custom guns on the cheap. You will have to do a LOT of saving up for a gun of that description.

You might contact Mark at Pinnacle:
http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp

If he agrees to the project, a pretty big IF, I think what would be required is to buy and send him a sound second hand S&W K frame revolver, a .355" barrel blank, and a Bowen cylinder blank. Pick and purchase sights to suit.

He would then:
Turn, thread, and fit the 9mm bull barrel.
Fit, chamber, and mill the cylinder for clips.
Perform an action job and bob the hammer.
Mount the sights.
Do whatever cosmetic work to suit your taste.

That is a lot of work to be able to simplify your ammunition supply situation.
If you want a good shooting revolver, watch the sale sites for a real PPC gun. They turn up every once in a while when a shooter dies or retires from the sport.
Old June 30, 2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Venom1956

oh no i didnt expect it to be cheap @ all!
I'm just saying its not a right now kinda thing. I gotta save but I wanna formulate a plan prior to doing it, so I'm not struggling to recall what I'll need in the moment.

Its just .38s are pretty pricey here. Within a dollar of .45s actually, per 100 bulk. I lack the space to reload also. =( mainly I want a tuned smith I can shoot alot. I have a worked over S&W 28 which I love. I want something similar in a K frame that'll feel great and really shoot.

Plus not break the bank come range day i can get 200 9mm for the price of 100 .38s =( moonclips will make speedloaders unnessecary. jim could u pm me perhaps what i should expect price wise for the work? do u think a model 10 would be good enough? or should i try find a model 19?

Last edited by Venom1956; June 30, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old June 30, 2012, 02:54 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I think you are looking at a premium of $1000 for the gun at least. Probably more and maybe a lot more.
Old June 30, 2012, 03:02 PM   #6
gunloony

Venom1956, have you looked at the Smiths that are available in 9mm as a starting point, or do you prefer the full custom route? I don't believe there are any in current production there were some K (and maybe L ? ) frames in the last century.
FWIW
Old June 30, 2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Venom1956

1000 isn't a problem. I was thinking budgeting 2k 2.5ish with materials.
Old June 30, 2012, 03:37 PM   #8
tekarra

May I suggest you do a search on the Smith and Wesson forum for similar projects. Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
Old June 30, 2012, 04:15 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
.38s cost more then 9mm.
For what you're likely to spend you can buy a pretty nice reloading setup.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 30, 2012, 04:24 PM   #10
WC145

+1 for Pinnacle. Mark turned a S&W 360J scandium frame .38 snubby into a 9mm for me and did a terrific job. Give him a call and let him know what you want and he'll tell you if he can do it.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Last edited by WC145; June 30, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old June 30, 2012, 05:32 PM   #11
warningshot

I can't even count-up all the money, time, endless phone calls and disgust with trying to improve a stock 4 inch Python or top-end K or N frame S&W.

Keep the dream alive and good luck.
Old July 2, 2012, 10:24 PM   #12
midlandwalther

Try Gemini Custom.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:32 PM   #13
KyJim

Alternately, you might try to find a SW Model 547 revolver which is a 9mm designed to shoot without using moon clips. It was built on the SW K-frame. I have a three inch round butt model but SW also made a four inch square butt model which might better suit your needs. I'm not sure if the barrel is going to be heavy enough for you, however. They are not cheap but are certainly much less than having a custom built 9mm revolver.

Here's a photo of the extractor system:

The extra pin helps prevent the primer from backing out:

Old July 3, 2012, 11:01 PM   #14
Venom1956

Yeah but it would be a shame to customize that gun I think. I want a custom revolver just because I do? I want something thats just mine!
Old July 4, 2012, 12:21 AM   #15
dnsharpshooter

sounds like a cool project, ill be following
Old July 4, 2012, 08:16 AM   #16
BillM

Pick up a S&W 627 in 38 super. Have Pinnacle convert to 9mm.

If you aren't in a huge hurry, start watching the forums that attract
ICORE shooters. You might just find a good used gun that's got
all the bells and whistles you are looking for.
Old July 4, 2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Venom1956

Will do. Thanks for the heads up!
Old July 4, 2012, 01:33 PM   #18
Venom1956

Is this the 627 you are referring to? or is there another?
Old July 4, 2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Venom1956

well I found a S&W i might like 686 Competitor!

Old July 5, 2012, 04:50 PM   #20
tekarra

If you look closely, you can see the extractor engaging the groove of the cartridge case.

The second pin, the limit pin, is prevent the case from setting back to the breech face upon firing and binding cylinder preventing rotation. Look closely at the fired casing and note the indentation of the limit pin on the case head. The 9x19 case is tapered, not cylindrical like other revolver cartridges.
Old July 5, 2012, 08:14 PM   #21
Venom1956

tekarra what model smith is that?
Old July 6, 2012, 08:10 AM   #22
WC145

That's a 547. IIRC from tekarra's old posts it's hard chomed.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old July 6, 2012, 04:59 PM   #23
tekarra

Correct WC145, my chromed round butt 547. The blued extractors show up quite well against the chromed star.
Old July 9, 2012, 06:42 PM   #24
verdun59

I love it when money is no concern ..... sweeeet