The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 26, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Garybock

Illegal handgun

While helping to move my elderly mother from the family home to an assisted living arrangement I found an RG 14 - 22 LR revolver.

Mom said that my late father bought it from "some guy at work" about 40 years ago. I am a CCW permit holder in New York State. I understand the law in regards to an unregisitered handgun. I don't want to keep this gun, I have no idea of the history other they stated here.

Anyone see an issue with my turning it in to the local police department.

Last edited by Garybock; February 26, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old February 26, 2012, 09:57 PM   #2
357 Python

Not knowing New York law I would contact an attorney who is well versed in NY gun laws and have him/her turn it in for you.
Old February 26, 2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Herr Walther

Very good idea. You should have attorney/client privilage working for you.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 26, 2012, 10:29 PM   #4
TXAZ

I thought that's what the East River was for
+1 what Python said (unless you have a big grinder)

= humor for the humor impaired

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 26, 2012, 10:58 PM   #5
Don H

If I were in this position, I'd fire up the cutting torch or the metal-cutting bandsaw, cut it into a few pieces and dispose of it in the trash over a couple of week's time. No federal laws would be violated ( I don't know what state laws might apply in your state).
Old February 26, 2012, 11:04 PM   #6
ScottRiqui

Quote:
If I were in this position, I'd fire up the cutting torch or the metal-cutting bandsaw, cut it into a few pieces and dispose of it in the trash over a couple of week's time. No federal laws would be violated ( I don't know what state laws might apply in your state).
To be certain this is the case, be sure to cut the gun apart so that the entire serial number remains intact on one of the pieces. It's a federal felony to deface or remove the serial number on a gun.
Old February 26, 2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Buzzard Bait

load up the truck and move

Move to Texas bring the gun with you no problem here
bb
Old February 26, 2012, 11:15 PM   #8
jimbob86

....and when you go (to TX), take some rain with you ...I hear they'd appreciate that immensely ......
Old February 27, 2012, 12:59 AM   #9
C0untZer0

This is where where some Illinois politicians want to take my state.

Ciminializing an otherwise legal firearm through a draconian registration process.

I echo the other sentiments expressed to get legal advice. It's also a shame that this imposes an extra financial burden on legal gunowners - the fact that you even have to spend money paying a lawyer for something like this.

And I sincerely doubt that this registration law that is adversly affecting you aids law enforcement at all or reduces crime one iota.

Good luck
Old February 27, 2012, 01:02 AM   #10
SHNOMIDO

can you register it? why is that out of the question?

Isn't there some case law that they cant arrest you for trying to register an unregistered gun because there's no way to do it except doing it?
Old February 27, 2012, 01:03 AM   #11
Patriot86

Call a lawyer or destroy the gun. NYC is probably #1 in my books for gun unfriendly just behind the whole state of NJ and California.
My father moved out of NYC in the 70's and the cops came to his old address (his fathers home) about 4 times over the next 10 years asking why he hadn't renewed his gun registration or something to that effect. That was in the 70's and 80's too...I imagine its only gotten worse.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:20 AM   #12
hoytinak

Quote:
Heck no, we don't need any New York imports....

Personally, I wouldn't have even mentioned it and destroyed it. They're not worth keeping anyways.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:57 AM   #13
jimbob86

Hoyt, it is not the value of the thing, or even the thing itself, but the principle of the thing..... that is why things have gottne so screwed up: lack of principles.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:11 AM   #14
Uncle Buck

I know a man who was a convicted felon and he ran in to a situation almost exactly like yours. He took the gun to his lawyer and the lawyer "got rid of it" for him.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:21 AM   #15
AH.74

This can't be a unique situation.

It was your father's gun. I would not be so quick to give it away or destroy it. I would first see if there is a way that it can properly become yours or for you to be able to sell it.
Old February 27, 2012, 09:23 AM   #16
NJgunowner

Seriously, put it up for sale on gunbroker or something.
Old February 27, 2012, 11:20 AM   #17
shortwave

Quote:
This can't be a unique situation
My thoughts also.

Forty years ago, maybe the law was different when the gun was purchased as it is now.

As the late fathers son, if you want the gun, it may be possible it can be passed to you with the proper paperwork.
If you don't want it and deem it's not worth your efforts of finding out the legalities of selling it, render it unusable( a hammer works wonders BUT DON'T MESS UP SER.#) and give it to LE. But I would expect to answer questions about the guns history.
Old February 27, 2012, 11:58 AM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
That's not an acceptable or useful answer.

Check with a lawyer who knows the gun laws. If the gun can't be made legal, he should help you make the arrangements to turn it in to law enforcement. Just be sure it's done in his office, with him present, and you should be fine.

The only other possibility is to turn it in to a gunsmith for destruction.
Old February 27, 2012, 12:03 PM   #19
carguychris

Quote:
Seriously, put it up for sale on gunbroker or something.
RG 14's are worth so little that a GB auction isn't going to garner much interest.

A legal interstate handgun transaction is typically going to require $35-$60 in shipment/FFL costs on the seller's end and another $10-$40 on the buyer's end, and few people can justify this to obtain a revolver that's probably not worth more than $100.

I agree with the local gunsmith or law-enforcement disposal idea.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:43 PM   #20
armoredman

I think you would be very lucky to turn $100 on an RG of any stripe. Destroy it through an attorney.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:53 PM   #21
orangello

Isn't that the same model as was used in Hinkley's assasination attempt on Pres. Reagan? My nephew has one; it doesn't seem worth the time to keep.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Onward Allusion

Time for a sledgehammer or cutting torch.
Old February 27, 2012, 03:09 PM   #23
Farmalljon

I'm speechless at the number of you that are advocationg the destruction of a perfectly good firearm. I understand that the laws in your states are different than here in Maine. I will be MORE than happy to provide the OP with the address of the FFL to ship it to, and a check for the shipping. Throw it in a box and take it to the post office. I will give it a good home. I'm serious....send me a PM with your address to send the shipping payment to, and then you can consider the revolver "gone away".
Old February 27, 2012, 03:20 PM   #24
JimPage

ALL THE PREVIOUS ADVICE IS BOGUS AND ILLEGAL FOR THE MOST PART!

I have been in a similar situation. Lock the gun up with your other guns. Go to the pistol licensing office and explain the situation. They will run the serial number through the computer to see if it is a crime gun (listed as stolen, etc).

If it isn't a crime gun, they will put it on your license for you. If it is they will want you to turn it in. It's simple. I think they charged me about $10.

Cutting it up, smuggling it across state lines will get you in trouble with the law.

Now that I have given my advice, let me tell you one more thing. Never take legal advice from someone you don't know on the internet. Research it yourself or ask an attorney.
Old February 27, 2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Farmalljon

A private US citizen who is a resident of any US state, boxing up a firearm and sending it to a FFL holder in ANY other US state is perfectly legal and can hardly be construed as "smuggling a gun across state lines".

Quote:
Now that I have given my advice, let me tell you one more thing. Never take legal advice from someone you don't know on the internet. Research it yourself or ask an attorney.
This, however, is the best advice I have seen in this thread so far.