The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 5, 2007, 08:04 PM   #1
beezaur

Bumps in the Night

What do you take with you to investigate your bumps in the night?

We all have mysterious noises at night, some of us more than others.

What I do is get my gun and my flashlight, and pad around in bare feet. Pretty basic.

My flashlight is a SureFire Kroma, which has low and high levels. You push the momentary button in a little for the dim light, push harder for the bright white light. I keep the low level set to dim red. That keeps my dark-adapted vision but is relatively difficult for someone else to see.

My gun had been a 1911 .45 ACP, but now I am using a Ruger GP100 .357 Mag. No reloads.

I have found that, with two "tools" and two hands, I need a way to free up a hand or two to get around the place. The flashlight gets a lanyard, and dangles by the wrist for things like opening doors. The gun gets the waistband of my trousers for temporary holding, else its the old armpit trick.

I used to have a weaponlight for the .45, but sold it. There is a little gap in my technique about doors and things now. I have to flick the light up into my grasp and find the button before I can use it.

What do you guys take with you on your searches, and how do you use it? Anyone gotten training on building searches?

Scott
Old February 5, 2007, 09:09 PM   #2
armedandsafe

I set up my houses and those of my client's (when I was in the business) with motion sensing lights. Every place but the bedrooms. That obviates the need to carry a flashlight and the trip-over factor in the dark. I know there are arguments against this, saying that you should leave the BG in the dark, that you can blind and disorient the BG with your light, that you shouldn't blast your own night vision and that you can shoot more accurately when a small spot of light is illuminating only the BG. I don't subscribe to that theory.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old February 5, 2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Bigfatts

Lately I've been using my P226 as my go to. I might listen to the bumps but I don't get out of bed unless the dog tells me to. She is very good at distinguishing random bumps in the night from something that is out of place and she sleeps right next to my side of the bed. So basically I send the 100 some odd pounds of teeth and fur, then I follow behind to clean up the mess. So far it hasn't happened yet.
Old February 5, 2007, 10:18 PM   #4
G-Cym

My carry weapon, a Taurus Millennium Pro in .40SW, and a 3 cell maglite.
Old February 5, 2007, 10:20 PM   #5
tony pasley

I turn on the computer and scan thru the cameras first.
Old February 5, 2007, 11:20 PM   #6
AZGunLover

Glock 19 with a Streamlight M3 attached. My pants are usually next to the bed with my Surefire E2D, pocket knife and cell phone already inside the pockets. I can slip them on very quickly for my late night stroll through the house.
Old February 6, 2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Dwight55

I have about 2000 sq ft of downstairs living space in 4 rooms, 2 baths, pantry and entry.

All but the master bedroom are strategically lit with automatic night lights, and they are monitored to make sure they all work. About half are the blue/green floresent jobbies. THEY LIGHT THE HOUSE.

I know exactly where the "squeeks" in the floor are, . . . where the carpet is/is not, . . . and can monitor any movement in the house from my bed room which has two doors into it (allowing sound to come in from both directions.

Our "plan" is not to stealthily search out any intruder, . . . it is to hole up, . . . secure, . . . calling 911 on cell phone, . . . and let the LEO's do what they do best. A bedroom intruder will get a welcome he/she won't soon forget.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 6, 2007, 09:19 AM   #8
tepin

I would suggest shoes. walking bare foot and running into broken glass on the floor would not be good.

I have an alarm system with door contacts, glass break and motion. as long as the alarm isnt ringing, bumps in the night dont bother me too much. when they do, I take my kimber .45 ultra cdp II with me. typically no light. I have good night vision and dont want to make myself a target. if I need light I turn them all on. mostly I listen from a stationary spot.
Old February 6, 2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Samurai

If I wake up to someone in the room, I reach for a live katana over the bed. I have trained for years, and with one rising action, I can make it sing across the entire bedroom.

With my room clear, I lock the bedroom door, and then go back to bed. The 1911 is loaded and in a drawer within reach of the bed, as is the telephone. I dial 911, put the phone under the covers, and leave the phone on to let them trace it. Then, I lay back with the 1911 trained on the door. Anyone who comes in will find me asleep in bed, taken totally by surprise...

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old February 6, 2007, 10:17 AM   #10
SundownRider

With four cats on the prowl in the night, lots of things are going bump. But the silver tabby (Earl) that sleeps near my head is a great alarm. When he perks up or tenses, I can feel it immediately, and go to investigate. He won't wake if it's one of his brothers roaming around, but if something is out of kilter, he's up. Nothing sleeps lighter than a cat.
My nightstand gun is an XD40 with an XML light loaded with Winchester Silvertips.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old February 6, 2007, 10:50 AM   #11
mikejonestkd

we have a highly trained ' attack ' yorkshire terrier at the foot of the bed. Nothing moves in our neighborhood without her waking up and yipping her fool head off...She also works well for home defense as the assailant would die from laughing at her..

Lock the door, grab the phone and cell phone and let the professionals deal with it, unless they make the poor decision to come through the door then we'll deal with that directly, and the police can clean up afterward.
Old February 6, 2007, 11:11 AM   #12
pdkflyguy

I agree with BIGFATTS. I always wake up to the bumps in the night, but unless the two dogs that sleep under the bed want to check it out, I don't bother. Also, I have a HK USPc in .40 and a small flashlight that are always holstered on the back of my nightstand (no kids at home). Those are always taken with me to investigate.

I know I might take a lot of flack for this comment, but when the dogs do decide a bump is worth checking out, I let them go out first. If there's an armed and dangerous Bad Guy out there, at least he'll find them first. I love my dogs, but given a choice between them or me, I'd let them find the BG. Besides, they can run away faster and hide more places than I can. JMHO, but dogs are the best alarm system money can buy.
Walther P22 .22LR
Old February 6, 2007, 11:40 AM   #13
beezaur

Dogs are cool.

Mine is a 95-lb German shepherd. He put the "fear of dog" in a guy just the other day. Some guy was looking for a neighbor. At the ding-dong, my dog ran to the door and started barking at the stranger through the glass. The guy retracted his arms close to his chest and stepped back, even though the door was still closed. I put the dog on sit-stay and answered the door. The man was way past polite and apologetic explaining his quest, as my dog whined and strained to smell him. The poor guy could not leave fast enough.

I don't see anything wrong with "loosing the hounds" but I tend to leave mine inside. We have a bear hanging around the house, and the dog's job in my absence is to protect the Mrs. So I have specific reasons for not sending mine out ahead.

Calling 911 isn't a real option for me. I can hear it: "So, you heard a noise, and you want me to send an officer."

"Yes. It was a scary noise."

"Ok, I'll let the officer know."

I have the feeling it would be at least a day before I saw the law. That's the way it is in rural areas. You have to have a reasonable idea that it is actually a human being before you will get a reasonable response. Even then it might be a half hour or more.

Scott
Old February 6, 2007, 01:58 PM   #14
rcupka

Happened just last week, 2:30 am. Grabbed the SP101 and slowly checked out the whole house. I don't know which is more lethal the .357 or the sight of a fat naked man. If there had been an intruder I might have scared him death or at least paralyzed him with laughter. Next time I'll put a robe on first.
Old February 6, 2007, 02:27 PM   #15
skeeter1

Nightlights

Quote:
strategically lit with automatic night lights
Yes, I have several of those as well, ELD panels. The primary objective of them was to go to the bathroom at night without turning on any lights, but there's enough light for me to also see what's going on. If I have reason to think there's more going on, I keep a .38Spl next to the bed, and a honking-big Maglite near by. After living in the same house for 20 years, no one knows their way around here in near-darkness better than I do.
Old February 6, 2007, 02:42 PM   #16
revjen45

Mossy Persuader and Steyr S9 live next to the bed; Mak for the wife. Wait in the bedroomwith the doors covered. Going after an intruder puts the advantage with them.
Old February 6, 2007, 04:18 PM   #17
markj

If my dogs are not barking I just get up and see if my 4 year old is using the can as he does. If they are barking I turn on lights and let em go and listen for the sounds of someone getting their butt bit off. Then I go back to bed

I live out in the country, havent had any suspicious folk at night yet.

Years ago we lived out in the country like in 1965 or so, a guy broke out of the prison, that night a guy was walking down the road, Dad opened up the front door with a shotgun, the guy layed down and Mom got the cops coming. Our dogs alerted us to this danger, I will never not have a dog for this reason.

I have motion sensored lights at the corners of my house but sometimes they go off due to cats, dogs from the neighbors place etc so they arent really good indicators of stranger danger.
Old February 6, 2007, 05:28 PM   #18
M3Cosmos

I'm not criticizing any of your tactics because I tend to do the same things mentioned. But, if you are ever walking through the house with your firearm, are you ever afraid that your might accidentally discharge on a family member?

This sound unlikely at first, but I read a story a few months ago about a guy killing his daughter that had come home from college unexpectedly. She made the first stupid move by hiding in a closet/laundry room and he made the mistake of firing right after he opened the door. Everyone in that scenario made big mistakes but in the end it could have been prevented by him shooting first and asking questions later.
Any thoughts on this?

Josh
Old February 6, 2007, 06:51 PM   #19
beezaur

I am not worried about shooting a family member.

We live with my wife's grandmother, so her presence is a constant possibility. It is also possible that my wife's family members would come to the house at night for some reason.

The big thing on my mind when checking the place is how to hide the gun quickly to avoid alarming the natives, so to speak. "Intruders" are family until proven to be a threat.

I think where people get into trouble is assuming that anyone present is a threat.

You always hear about people shooting family members without first identifying the target. Just establishing that it is human, and then assuming that there is a life threat is not thinking. That, to me, is a wreckless attitude.

Now, if my brother-in-law was sneaking around my house with a squirtgun and drew down on me at 0300, and I shot him that would be another matter. He would have the appearance of an attacker. But I doubt I would, since that is what the light is for.

One important thing that has been drummed into my head for years is that, if you are freaked out about something, you need to sit down, take a breath and gather your thoughts.

Scott
Old February 6, 2007, 08:40 PM   #20
revjen45

Anybody who knows me well enough to belong in my home at night will not enter without identifying themselves.
Old February 6, 2007, 10:52 PM   #21
jfrey123

Quote:
Anybody who knows me well enough to belong in my home at night will not enter without identifying themselves.

It's kind of funny for you to say that. My friends are knowledged in a similar way, especially after two of them thought they had "no-knock" privilages.

The first one was a girl who is close friends with my girlfriend and I. Sitting on my apartment couch, the door opened and I was half way to it with my fists up ready for anything before I realized it was her. Never seen her so scared...

The other was one of my drinkin'/football watchin' buddies. Just popped in while I was folding laundry in my bedroom (partly my fault for not having the door locked that afternoon, I know). I knew no one was expected, popped out the door with my Glock leveled. I never felt so bad in my life after realizing I had my friend in the sights. That's where being sure to identify your target comes into play...

Back to topic, my defense is to stand fast in my room in a defensive position. My Glock is my "leave loaded" bedside gun, but if I have time, but if the bumps are big enough and numberous enough, I'm loading up the Auto-5 with buck shot... I agree that 9-1-1 is the best bet. If my door knob rattles when I'm there alone, then I'm shooting through the door: no hesitation.
Old February 6, 2007, 11:55 PM   #22
kickshot85

I used to leave a 12 gauge leaning against the wall between the bed and nightstand, now I have a Taurus 4410 revolver. I leave the first 2 cylinders loaded with .410 shells #4. Nothing exactly lethal but gauranteed to buy you some time if necessary, and at indoor distances anyone on the recieving end will notice they've been hit. The last three cylinders are loaded with 45 colt rounds, that way if I'm sure of what I'm shooting at the last three get the job done. I also leave 10 rounds in my little Ruger P95 9mm at all times in the nightstand with the Taurus. The 12 gauge still stays loaded next to the bed. Just FYI, I live with my fiancee and dog, so if both are upstairs in bed with me then I go on the offensive.
Old February 7, 2007, 05:23 PM   #23
markj

Quote:
loaded with .410 shells #4. Nothing exactly lethal
??? At ten ft this load will kill, do not decieve yourself. Always identify what you are going to shoot before you do so.

Quote:
I think where people get into trouble is assuming that anyone present is a threat.
Nail on the head.
Old February 7, 2007, 10:07 PM   #24
Jseime

I know a guy who has a Mossberg 590-A1 with a surefire light mounted on it. Out on the farm at home we dont get bumps in the night but if we did im sure the dog would know whats going on before i did and at least bark a little.
Old February 7, 2007, 11:03 PM   #25
BobK

Everyone should have some sort of "procedures" to go by in case of a home invasion. Family members should be familiar with them if they are old enough to understand.

If I have to investigate a "bump" then I do so with a handgun and flashlight. Normally a Kimber with Laser Grips and a Streamlight Scorpion. We live in a two bedroom, two level apartment. The bedrooms are upstairs so I know where everyone is. If I go down to check things out, my wife remains upstairs with another gun and a phone. If she hears shooting she will take a position at the top of the stairs and our daughter calls 911. If anyone but me tries to come up they get shot. We have a password if it's me trying to come up.

If I'm sure there is somone in the house, my wife calls 911 while I take the position at the top of the stairs with a 12 guage and a bag with about 50 rounds of 00 buck.

If neccessary, our daughter will have a gun since she knows how the use a handgun.