The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2005, 11:40 PM   #1
ccamge55

wal mart spartan singles

Im a beginning trap shooter who is starting to really get into the sport. I have a
model 12 that my grandfather passed down to me. I have been shooting with that shotgun lately but am really afraid of messing up that gun. It has alot sentimental value. I saw a spatan 12ga. single shot break barrel for 90 bucks at wal mart. Is this a good gun? Is the price right? seems like a cheap price, but im just curious about this shotgun. let me know the dirt.
Old June 20, 2005, 01:02 AM   #2
almark

Don't know about the spartan, but I can tell you the New England Firearms "Pardner" single shot breech loaders are about the same price, and mine has lasted seven years now and about a thousand rounds and shows no sign of stopping anytime soon. It is quite the heavy kicker, but I also have the youth model... just my $0.02
Old June 20, 2005, 08:30 AM   #3
liliysdad

The Spartans are nothing more than the old Izhmash/ Baikal singles. They are good guns, and bit more refined than the NEF/H&R singles. I have been toying with getting one to cut the barrel down to 20" and using nothing but the Aguila min-shells for critters around the yard.
Old June 20, 2005, 01:09 PM   #4
rugerdude

It is hard to make a bad single shot. I'm sure you will be very pleased with it. A friend of mine has a padner and it works every time. BTW buckshot or slugs out of the pardner is brutal.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old June 20, 2005, 04:31 PM   #5
kudu

You could still probably put another hundred thousand rounds through the old M12 without much problem. They were made to last.
Old June 21, 2005, 01:10 AM   #6
ccamge55

thanks for the advice

thanks, as soon as I get paid I think that I am going to drive over and pick me up one. I checked the internet and havent found anybody who says that the gun doesn't shoot or work well. Most of the complaints have been about the guns looks. I say it looks good to these eyes
Old June 22, 2005, 12:42 PM   #7

liliysdad is right. They are the Baikal line under the Remington name. 90 Bucks is a great price. You will love the gun. They lock up nice and tight and are very sturdy for the price.

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com