The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2011, 10:41 AM   #1
FtrPilot

I just bought a Chronograph

I am not interested in opinions on which make/model is best, best value, worthless, etc. I do most of my shooting in an indoor range. The owner has said that he will allow me to set up my chronograph a half hour before opening so I will have the range to myself.

What I am looking for are hints & suggestions on indoor setup issues, especially lighting. I know that the chronograph will not work with fluorescent lighting. Fortunately, my range does not have fluorescent lighting.

Any hints or techniques on indoor lighting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Old November 5, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2
David Bachelder

Word to the wise, replace the aluminum support rods (if so equiped) with wooden dowels. You will see why the first time you hit an aluminum one with a bullet.

It happens.
Old November 5, 2011, 12:43 PM   #3
GP100man

Yep !! I use skewer stiks & mark em so to shoot hi enuff, to low ain`t good !!

I found when I set up I start too close & muzzle blast messes with my readings of course it varies with caliber

I`d start with at least 15 ft especially if I could`nt cross the "firing line"
Old November 6, 2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Stargazer

Most brands offer some sort of artificial lighting or IR lamps and sensors for their Chronos. Might want to look into that area to help with the indoor lighting situation. Even if the vendor only offers a plug in transformer (PACT) for the alternative lighting, that can be substituted with a battery and some sort of regulator. IR sensors and lighting allow shooting at any time of day regardless of the sun position or even if there is no sun as in the shade.

M70 Web Page
Old November 6, 2011, 10:03 AM   #5
UtopiaTexasG19

Most chronographs perform best when the bullet passes over the sensors at a specific height range. Read the directions that came with the chronograph to find out how many inches you can shoot above the sensors and then mark the uprights with tape or something similiar at the bottom and top of the range so that when you set the unit up it's the correct height between you and the target. I use black electrical tape since I shoot outside but a brighter color might be better.

Last edited by UtopiaTexasG19; November 6, 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old November 6, 2011, 12:34 PM   #6
totaldla

One of those bore sight lasers would be nice. Use it to get the bore inline with the target and above and centered over the chronograph. Keep the chrono 10+ feet away from the muzzle. And you might try taping a couple cheap white headlamps to the diffusers and put them on low.

Now I haven't tried the headlamps myself, but it was on my "to-do" list before I blew my chronograph to bits. Chrony Information

Last edited by totaldla; November 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old November 6, 2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Nathan

Most/some brands sell a light kit for it. Look into that, if required.
Old November 7, 2011, 11:12 AM   #8
springer99

To add to what others have offered, the lighting when using a chrono indoors tended to be my greatest problem. What you want to end up with is a difused light source, free from reflections, etc. when-ever possible.
I solved my problem by taping some 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of white paper to the top of the supplied plastic diffusers and then used a portable light(with a 7-8" reflective socket and spring clip attachment) with a low wattage bulb. That way I could mount the lamp at various locations above the chrono to get the lighting I needed.
Old November 8, 2011, 09:20 PM   #9
FtrPilot

To all,

Thanks for the tips & info. I will print and use them as I go forward. I used my chronograph outside today, and it performed flawlessly. I am going to set it up in an indoor range tomorrow morning.

Thanks once again...
Old November 9, 2011, 01:31 AM   #10
Yurko

+1 to using wooden dowels.
I get 5 ft dowels from the hardware store - they're 13ยข each.

I've found that there are 2 kinds of chrono users.
Them that's shot their chrono & them that's gonna shoot it.
Scoped rifles are the worst culprits!

Just ask me how I know... on 2nd thought, don't ask.
Old November 9, 2011, 04:21 AM   #11
Dr. Strangelove

Hmmph! (I think I spelled that right)

Don't get cocky... after being super, super careful with deer rifles, centerfire pistols, etc., I shot the little support arms on my CED M2 with a Ruger MKII .22lr pistol.

Just got cocky and decided to blaze off ten rounds to check velocity, how could I miss, right?

Oh well, just grazed it...