The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 26, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1
s2thalayer

Beretta 92 vs M9

Ive been researching these two for some time. I've shot plenty of pistols, but this would be my first owned pistol. I collect assault rifles, and figured its time to get a handgun.

Does anyone own either of these that could give me a quick pros and cons from their view? I like the M9 because, well it has to be half decent if the soldiers are protecting their lives with it. But i also hear the 92 is more accurate. any truth to this?

Your help is appreciated!
Old September 26, 2010, 10:10 AM   #2
publius

Same gun. Although the M9 was on the short list, it's adoption was political.

Last edited by publius; September 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old September 26, 2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Sefner

They are the same thing. "M9" is the military designation for the pistol.

There is a difference between the 92, 92F, 92FS, and 90two, but I think you're looking for the same pistol that the American Military issues its troops, which is the 92FS.

As an aside, "accuracy" has only partially to do with the gun and mostly to do with the shooter. The ergonomics of every firearm fit every person differently and thus an "accurate gun" in one person's hands will be an "inaccurate gun" in another's. If you're looking for accuracy, find a range and rent some handguns or at least handle as many as you can to see what fits your hands the best.
Old September 26, 2010, 10:13 AM   #4
s2thalayer

wow. actually yes, the 92 fs was the specific designation i was looking at. wow its the same pistol? well....then the decision is unanimous! haha.

well. thanks for the help in clearing that up.
Old September 26, 2010, 10:18 AM   #5
hardworker

It's a well balanced pistol. Huge for a 9mm, but that makes it easy shoot.
Old September 26, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6
MLeake

Only difference that leaps to mind...

... based on M9's I've been issued in the past, vs the 92FS Centurion I used to own and other 92FS pistols I've seen,

the M9's I've been issued all had a white dot front sight, and a vertical white bar centered in the rear sight; dot the i, put the ball on the tee, however you look at it (Von Stavenhagen, I think that sight setup is called),

while the 92FS comes with three dot sights, normally.

There may have been other differences, but nothing I noticed (aside from the M9's bluing is generally pretty worn).
Old September 26, 2010, 10:45 AM   #7
longhair75

Friend FA SlayeR

The M9 and the 92fs are almost identical. the three differences listed in the Beretta catalog are:

A. Distinctive military style markings: on various components closely replicate those of the U.S. Armed Forces M9 pistols. ***

B. Unique M9-prefixed serial number (m9-xxxxx) sets this configuration apart from the other 92 series pistols.

C. Dot and post sight system: clones that of the M9.

*** The 92fs pistol has consumer warnings etched into the right hand side of the slide: WARNING: RETRACT SLIDE TO SEE IF LOADED. FIRES WITHOUT MAGAZINE and on the frame: READ MANUAL BEFORE USE

The M9 model does not have these warnings.
Old September 26, 2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Jim243

M9s are on sale at Cabelas, today is the last day of the sale. If you don't have all the cash, you can put them on Lay-Away for 90 days.

Jim
Old September 26, 2010, 11:24 AM   #9
s2thalayer

well you know what, while we're at it, does anyone know how the PX4 matches up against it? thats another i was interested in, but ruled out.
Old September 26, 2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Leejack

Without any further delay; buy it today!

M9 or 92, win-win deal!

Lee