The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 1999, 09:47 PM   #1
BLITZKRIEG

Who makes the best single stage press? Where can I find one online? Also do you guys consider the kits that have most everything to be good deals or is it better to buy stuff seperatly?
Old May 14, 1999, 08:08 AM   #2
muddyboots

RCBS makes good stuff and they stand behind it, good support. The "Rock Chucker" will do just about anything. They also make this in a kit (which is a good deal if you don't own any reloading equipment). The kit sells for about $200 (internet) plus shipping. Don't cut corners when reloading. Read and Never guess. Oh, and one thing that's not in the kit is a set of calipers, you can pick those up for under $20(import stuff).
Old May 14, 1999, 11:10 AM   #3
Fred

Ditto muddyboots' comments. The Rockchucker is a solid, dependable press. And you definitely should get a vernier caliper to go along with your other accessories. It's a must. Should also consider getting at least two reloading manuals, since loads will vary from book to book.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old May 14, 1999, 08:27 PM   #4
swifter...

Best press is probably shared by the Forester Co-Ax and the Redding Ultra Mag, with the RCBS Rock Chucker a fairly close second. Look closely at the kits, sometimes they are good deals, especially on sale, but often they are a way for the manufacturer to get rid of stuff that won't sell - like lube pads and case lube. If the kit includes that, toss it, and get Imperial Sizing Die Wax, best stuff in the game.

------------------
Shoot carefully... swifter...

Old May 14, 1999, 11:44 PM   #5
Robert Foote

R.F. Wells, Howard Lake, MN, circa 1962. They made a massive C press that sold for all of $12.65 and looks like it was made by the Moscow Tractor Factory. I am still using it 37 years later with great satisfaction. Only trouble is that it uses unique shell holders. To load additional calibers I am probably going to have to learn to run a Smithy mill-lathe and make my own. I have a Rock Chucker on the other end of the bench but it just doesn't have the character this one does...

------------------
Old May 14, 1999, 11:54 PM   #6
Cat

After using many different single stage presses in my youth, I settled on a Bonanza Co-Ax. It is real slick with the quick change dies and the universal shell holder. The ability of the case and die to "float" and line up is rather unique. There are are many good presses out there. It's hard to say which is "best".
Anyway, that's my choice.
Cat
Old May 15, 1999, 03:29 AM   #7
JEG

25 years reloading on RCBS, never had a problem with the original and have a new one too.
Old May 15, 1999, 10:19 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Blitzkrieg: No argument with all of the above. I don't know what you can afford.

I loaded a lot of '06 stuff with a Lyman 310 Tong Tool. As I've posted before, I'm a believer in "good used" reloading gear. After all, isn't your brand-new press gonna be good and used in a few years? It's hard to hurt one, and I figure you're smart enough to avoid one with rust and dings...I guess I'd stay with RCBS, if you're a Newbie at reloading.

I think I'd get pickier about my powder scale than any other piece of reloading equipment. Unless you're going into something like benchrest competition, I'd suggest a middle-quality beam-balance...And I've had good "repeatibility" with an RCBS powder measure.

Best luck, Art
Old May 15, 1999, 03:31 PM   #9
Paul B.

I would go with RCBS. The Rocker is built stout and tough. I would estimate that I've loaded better than a quarter million rounds on mine, with no problems whatever. I won't say how many rounds it took to wear out my old Pacific C press, but it was a heck of a lot more than I've put through the Rockchucker.
To be perfectly honest, any of the big name presses, RCBS, Hornady, etc will be all right. Stay away from the cheapie presses.(no names, I might get sued) Follow the advice of those posts that came before me. The're all good. Buy the best you can afford
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
Old May 16, 1999, 10:07 PM   #10
Bill Hebert

Believe it or not, I bought a Lee reloading manual and they "threw in" a single stage press. The thing is made of "pot metal" but it was enough for me to realize that reloading was for me... I wanted a Hornady lock and load so bad I could taste it but was so cheap I wouldn't spring the hundred bucks for it. The range where I shoot had a Hornady 007 donated and I was able to buy it for $30. The difference from the Lee was just as you might expect- you get what you pay for. I love my Hornady - and the lock and load feature is still on my wish list. Just one opinion- really think twice about an automatic primer seater - I've tried it both ways and the "feel" of seating a primer by hand is safe and just "feels right" over a progressive press. Good luck and happy loading..
Old May 16, 1999, 10:24 PM   #11
BLITZKRIEG

Thanks for all the info Ive decided to buy the RCBS Master Reloading Kit. Now I dont know anyone that reloads so is it safe for me to start with just the manuals without the help of someone else who knows what there doing or should I hang out at the range and try to find someone who reloads?
Old May 16, 1999, 10:47 PM   #12
swifter...

blitzkreig,
DBI books has an ongoing series,"The ABC's of Reloading". Dean Grennell authored the first five, and I can't remember the gent's name that took over after that. These are valuable sources of info, in a more informal style than the manuals offer. There's also a load of reloading info on the net, any good search engine will turn it up.
Read a lot before you load your first round, but if you can read a reciepe, and have minimal mechanical ability, it should be no problem. Good luck with your Rockchucker, I've had mine 20+ years and loaded much ammo on it!

------------------
Shoot carefully... swifter...

Old May 23, 1999, 09:42 PM   #13
WESHOOT2

The BEST is the Bonanza (now Forster) Co-Ax.
Old May 31, 2020, 12:12 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

I wonder where this stands now. I have a rock chucker supreme, and love it. I wonder what a step or 2 up would really get me.
Old May 31, 2020, 01:24 PM   #15
Bart B.

Rockchucker's have few operational equals. Their support has none.
Old May 31, 2020, 02:52 PM   #16
reinert

I've had and have used my Rock Chucker II since the early '80s. Thousands of rounds loaded through it, and it still works as good as ever. I have a brand new Rock Chucker Supreme I bought near 5 years ago, and it's still NIB. Just haven't had any reason to try it out yet.
Old May 31, 2020, 02:54 PM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

The Co-ax has intrinsic floating alignment and the universal shell holder arrangement, which I prefer, but outside of that, probably you would buy for strength. CH4D and Corbin both make some extremely beefy presses. But for the ubiquity of everybody knowing what you are talking about and for general successful quality and service, the RCBS is an excellent choice.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 31, 2020, 06:36 PM   #18
rclark

Thing is, I've 'owned' one Hornady Single Stage Press since early 1980s. Most of my dies are RCBS. Thousands of rounds through it and was still working great when I just retired it. I 'recently' picked up an Iron Press and like it. I only bought it because I wanted to the try the 'quick' change style for dies and it looked like a good solid press. So far so good. That is my experience. Can I 'say' it is the best? No. But I can say it has worked great for 'me'. Sometimes I wonder if there is a 'best' press ... or if it more of what we are 'used to' . That said, I wouldn't recommend a ideal 310 tool as best as there are better choices. BTW, I bought a 310 tool a couple of years ago just for the sake of reloading like they did in many years past . I pull it out every once in awhile now for nostalgic purposes. Load a few .45 Colt rounds with it.

I've operated a Rock Chucker at a friends house once and it looks like a good Press. That's been awhile ago though. Enjoy yours.

You really don't need a mentor to get started. I never did (not even the internet back then!) . At the time I only had the Hornady manual on hand and it explained every step that needed done. Added more manuals since of course (never can to many books/manuals). Also how you reload will change too over time as you find what works and works better for you. Experience is a good teacher! Reloading is not exactly rocket science... but you do have be able to read and follow instructions and have a little patience and some attention to detail. Go slow. If something doesn't make sense, find out why. Also, don't try to beat the clock. The idea is not to crank out rounds as fast as possible. The idea is to make the best safe reliable accurate ammo possible.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; May 31, 2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old May 31, 2020, 07:37 PM   #19
SixShooterBP

Rockchucker
Old May 31, 2020, 08:21 PM   #20
BJung

Rockchucker but..

I've only owned a RCBS Rockchucker and have no complaints about it. With it, I have an old Piggyback attachment that would make it a progressive if I wanted to make A LOT of pistol ammo.

I think the Forster is a better press though. I'd buy one of these if I had the extra money.
Old May 31, 2020, 08:29 PM   #21
zxcvbob

For pistols, it's CH4D; I think they call it the "444H" press. I have their older "333" model. For rifles, it's the Forster Co-Ax. (both presses will do both pistol and rifle cartridges)
Old May 31, 2020, 09:21 PM   #22
LE-28

Quote:
Who makes the best single stage press? Where can I find one online?
Probably this thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKkOVjayYvo&t=46s

If you have $900.00 to spend on it. It uses linear ball bearings on the vertical rods.

If you want something more down to earth you could watch this video, it at gives you an idea of which press has the tightest tolerances and loads the most concentric ammo.

It's one of the Ultimate Reloaders videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqcYI0G2hqM

RCBS and Redding came out ranked at the top.
Old May 31, 2020, 09:38 PM   #23
Nick_C_S

You'll get as many opinions as replies.

I can only tell you my experience: In 1984, I bought an RCBS "Reloader Special 2" (aka RS2). I think they're an RS5 now. And I believe the Rock Chucker (or whatever it's called) is now their more popular single stage.

My RS2 was the only press I ever used until I got my Dillon progressive in 2015. But my RS2 is still in commission and going strong. I still use it for small batches and rifle (I don't load much rifle). It has probably processed brass and loaded some 200,000 rounds. So yes, I recommend RCBS.

As for the kit, I think it's a good idea for most who are starting with nothing. When I started, I took the advice of a sage seasoned loader some 40 years my senior - he was a friend of a friend (and there was no internet - I literally knew nothing about loading going in). He gave me a one-afternoon tutorial; I gave him my money and he ordered everything (he was an FFL). I know a kit was involved; but I don't remember if the press was part of it or if it was a separate.

Bottom line: I used most all of the stuff in the kit , and maybe a couple things I didn't. Some stuff I upgraded; some stuff I wore out; and some I still use. All n all, I think it was a good way to go. I still use the UniFlow powder dispenser - works great to this day.

Most importantly, the kit had a reloading manual - that and my one-afternoon tutorial was all I knew about loading before I started. Unless you have an experienced loader helping you every step of the way, and pointing out exactly what you need piece by piece, a kit will get you up n running quickly.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:47 PM   #24
UncleLoodis

I have a Forster Co-ax press, and love it for rifle cartridges. For pistol, I love my Dillon XL650.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:57 PM   #25
ms6852

The OP already decided on an RCBS. Not a bad choice.