The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 30, 1999, 01:49 PM   #1
snoman

I am going to go on a hunting safari in Africa, (sometime) and would like someinput on what I should look for and expect in the planning and hunting phases of my dream hunt, any input would be very helpful and welcomed with open arms...

------------------
---snoman---

Old July 30, 1999, 03:55 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Always sorta wanted to go; read a good bit about the travel and the various hunts.

1. Because of AIDS, a lot of African travelers are exploring the feasibility of carrying plasma with them, in case of serious injury.

2. Try not to fly through Europe; definitely not through England. Every report I've seen sez you could easily lose your guns.

3. Contact several outfitters for their input on the above. Have them list references; contact those references.

3. Rich was trying for a safari; he oughta have a good bit of info...

Good luck! Art
Old August 3, 1999, 09:45 AM   #3
Mendocino

Alright Erick,

I have been wondering how your trip was, stop the suspense already! Lets have some details...

Mendo

[This message has been edited by Mendocino (edited August 03, 1999).]
Old August 15, 1999, 08:35 PM   #4
snoman

I don't mean to pry, and if you don't want to answer, I understand, but what should I expect as a final cost to a trip to Africa, what are the prespects of a handgun hunt??
[email protected]

------------------
---snoman---

Old August 16, 1999, 06:00 PM   #5
BMWGS80

I have been booking safaris to Rhodesia for 25 years. I still use the same guide and have many repeat clients. The price depends on what you want to shoot. I have clients in country right now. If you are serious about wanting to go email me and I will get you the information and get you in contact with one of my clients when you get back. My family has owned and operated a full service travel agency for over 30 years. A trip to Africa is the only trip I would borrow money for.

You can eamil me at [email protected].

Sorry for the advert. I have strong feelings about safaris.

Cheers,

tad Stratton
Old August 16, 1999, 06:53 PM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Snoman,

I would strongly recommend joining Safari Club International. Don't have the info in front of me, will post tonight.

The money question is very dependent on what you want and where you go to get it. This can vary year by year, so planing is important.

Handgun hunting is a South Africa only proposition at this time (I think). Zim closed this down a couple of years ago. Might have re-opened. Sounds like BMWGS80 could give you some good info for Zim...

Giz