The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 3, 2008, 07:59 PM   #1
beaver

Berretta Semi Auto Shotgun

looking for a good Sporting Clays gun how would the Berretta semi Auto 3901 work compared to remington 1100.
Old April 3, 2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Ruger4570

I don't have a 3901 but an older 390 with the fancy wood stocks. I have shot this gun mant 1000's of rounds in Skeet ant it has been flawless. I also own a Rem 1100 with probably similar usage with the same results. The Berreta does have some functions that are not available on the 1100 ie a magazine cutoff. You will never go wrong with either, just get the one that fits you best.
Old April 4, 2008, 02:23 PM   #3
BigJimP

Picking a shotgun is about fit ( length of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel, etc ). Your eye, is the rear sight of a shotgun / so if those dimensions don't fit you - where the gun does not hit where you look - then the gun doesn't fit. You have to take a gun to the pattern board to see if it fits - and if point of impact is off - then you can adjust it with pads, shims, etc probably.

You don't need a special gun for sporting clays / other than one that fits - and swings well for you. Either of these guns is fine - if that's what you like.

Personally, my favortie semi-auto is the Benelli Super Sport - but that's because it fits me / neither of the guns you are looking at fits me without some major modifications - and I'm not that crazy about gas operated guns.
My primary sporting gun is a Browning XS Skeet model with the adj comb and 30" barrels in 12, 20, 28 and .410 - and I like the weight and swing characteristics on that gun a lot. But sometimes I just feel like shooting a semi-auto so I use the Benelli.
Old April 4, 2008, 04:40 PM   #4
45Dave

Berretta

I've shot both for skeet and clays. Both work but the Berretta is smoother, will handle a wide variety of loads with ease, much easier to clean, no O rings to change and fail. We have shot 7/8 target loads and heavy duty duck hunting loads and they all function including in a mixed run.
The 1100 is a great gun, swings like a dream and has a well deserved following. If you end up with that option you should be happy. Just keep an eye on the O rings and have some on hand.
One other things about the Berretta, by changing shims between the stock and receiver you can do some fitting to help make it fit your body/face.