The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 26, 2011, 03:30 AM   #1
eastbank

haveing protected bird feathers

a friend who had picked up feathers off dead birds he found while hunting,hawks,owls amoung others(thank god no eagle feathers). gave them to his young son made dream weaver,s with the feathers and gave them to his friends at school. some how the game commision found out about it and got a warrent to search his house, he was not home when they came(three officers),well they trashed his house as he was not their to complain and found a few feathers and he now faces very high fines for possion of the feathers. so if you find dead birds do not take any parts home with you as it can cost you a lot of money and grief. eastbank.
Old May 26, 2011, 03:37 AM   #2
Daryl

Yep. The law is federal, and was passed to protect raptors. Folks were killing them for the feathers, and once the feathers are plucked they don't have any way to know whether it was killed or died from natural causes.

If you want feathers, pluck game birds, or raise a few chickens or pheasants.

Picking up feathers from raptors can get you in all sorts of trouble.

Daryl
Old May 26, 2011, 04:25 AM   #3
accipiterxd

Just for clarification, under the migratory bird act, all native species are protected the same way. Exceptions are made for legally hunted birds. Though I have heard it is kind of a grey area for legally hunted birds.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:41 AM   #4
Uncle Buck

I had an Aunt who was visited by someone (Do not remember the agency they represented) because she had a bunch of song bird feathers. Luckily, they let her off and she no longer collects them.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:44 PM   #5
Prof Young

Barred Owl

Hunters:

A few years back I made the mistake of picking up a freshly road killed barred owl and taking it up to my colleagues in the biology dept. Fortunately one of them knew to call the local game warden, explain the whole thing and get the right paper work to legally have it. (He didn't use my name!) I think it's still in the freezer waiting to be made into a mount. I was lucky. Having illegal raptor feathers is a big deal and very illegal.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old May 26, 2011, 11:11 PM   #6
mquail

Here's the link to the MBTA http://www.fws.gov/pacific/migratorybirds/mbta.htm

Here is a list of the birds protected by the MBTA http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/re...a/mbtandx.html
They do sometimes change this too. http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/Re....11-1-2010.pdf

"

Last edited by mquail; May 26, 2011 at 11:20 PM.