The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 14, 1999, 10:35 AM   #1
point308

What type of scope would you recommend for use on a shotgun? So far I've been using a Bushnell 3-9 x40 variable but it's too long & goofy looking on my new gun. (The crosshairs split on my first Bushnell so it was replaced under guarantee).

I've always used the 9x setting for slug shooting at 100 + yards, but I've seen a short s/g scope with a fixed 4x magnification at a local shop. Wouldn't a higher magnification be better?

Thanks in advance,
Point 308.
Old December 14, 1999, 10:44 AM   #2
AJ

I've been using a Pentax Lightseeker 2.5X shotgun scope on my 11-87 rifled slug barrel for several years. Awesome scope! Crystal clear viewing, gathers lots of light at dawn/dusk, never fogs. I highly recommend it.

AJ
Old December 14, 1999, 11:00 AM   #3
point308

AJ, would you be able to shoot more accurately with a higher magnification?
I have good eyesight, but I think the target would look just a little bit too small. I would be mostly shooting at metal plates and paper targets (no deer or other game) at ranges of 75 to 200 yards.

Point308.
Old December 14, 1999, 03:45 PM   #4
Cat

Are you going to be able to get enough "clicks" on a normal scope for those ranges, or are you going to use "Kentucky Windage"?

Neil Casper