The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2013, 02:29 AM   #1
kharter

Herters reloading supplies

My Dad and i had found his old reloading supplies from when he was younger and it was only half of the kit. He had a Super x press and dies we cannot find the other box that contains the other parts to the reloading kit. Since i am new to reloading and wouldn't have any clue on where to find anything reloading. Would somebody be able to tell me what we are missing and also if there is any place that we could possibly replace that supplies or if it it cheaper get a new kit.
Old July 13, 2013, 08:29 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

I would say to forget it.
Herters stuff was proprietry and now is long gone and obsolete.
I had a press and several sets of dies I got for almost nothing at a yard sale. After sitting on a shelf for 20 years I finally gave away.
Old July 13, 2013, 08:44 AM   #3
iraiam

The dies are still usable on any standard press, I have an old set of 270 Win "Herters Inc." dies and the same in 30-30 Win. The dies fit all my other brands of press

I guess the key is if the Herters press will accept the standard shell holders made by all the other manufacturers like Lyman, RCBS, Lee and such.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old July 13, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4
RoscoeLarue

I have to agree about the dies still working. I have several dies that I purchased back in the early 60's for my calibers, that a friend who had the Herters press.
I have since used same Herter's dies in my Lee press. Not a problem.
Old July 13, 2013, 06:06 PM   #5
math teacher

I have three sets of Herters dies that I use quite often. They work just fine in my RCBS press. If it is all there, there is nothing wrong their presses. A little crude looking, but hell for strong. The only primer pocket cleaner I have ever owned is from Herters. Their shell holders work fine. Herters did sell some oddball stuff, but you will know as it is not compatible with standard equipment. There are other brands of decapping spindles that will fit their dies as it is difficult to find pins of the right diameter.
Old July 13, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
kharter

so if i cannot find replacement parts for the press what is the best kit or what would i need to get to a new reloading set. Also dont have much money so what is the best for the money if i use them to reload often.
Old July 15, 2013, 01:01 AM   #7
iraiam

The cheapest setups I have seen are the Lee single stage "challenger kits". a set of dies and a challenger kit will get you loading. You will also need at least one reloading manual. I know several people who cut their reloading teeth on these single stage challenger kits.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old July 15, 2013, 05:53 AM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Buy new. Auction the old off on EBAY or Gun Brokers as either would garrner a sale and a better return monetarily. There are a few individuals around that actually collect Herter's reloading equipment.

S/S
Old July 15, 2013, 06:40 AM   #9
FM12

Ah, Herter's. With their modestly named Model Perfect and Model Superior gear.

Good stuff in its day tho.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

Quote:
The dies are still usable on any standard press
The dies I had were completely different thant standard. They were larger diameter and had different threads.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:26 AM   #11
sundog

RCBS, and maybe some others, make a a shell holder adapter for Herters press so that todays 'standard' shell holder may be used.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:59 AM   #12
wncchester

Without knowing what you have and what cartridge(s) you want to load we can't tell you what to get. Your dies are as good as any and the press itself is likely good to go if you have shell holders OR if it is one of those which uses current shell holders.

First thing you should do is learn a bit about what you hope to do. The BEST thing you might do is find someone who is already reloading and get help but that can be hard to do. That means you'll need to get a reloading manual that has really well explained and illustrated new guy instructions - I suggest a Lyman or Lee manual for that. From the book you will see what's needed and can see what you still have to get.
Old July 15, 2013, 10:39 AM   #13
F. Guffey

Kharter, surly among all the responders there is a someone with a Herter’s catalog, Super? X, I have three different Super 3 Herter’s presses, to help I need to know what you have, I will assume you only have the press and everything else in in the ‘other box’.

Resource? I suppose it is up to me to dig out a Herter catalog, not a problem, but, you said you do not have a lot of money, helping with information is free, completing the kit would cost money. There is no way you could miss me on Herter reloading equipment.

Difference between Herter equipment when compared to other manufacturers is something few reloaders can appreciate, they simply do not know the difference.

Dies with different threads, yes, different shell holders, yes, then there was the 333 –press. Similarity between the 333 and other Herter presses? It was suggested both presses be bolted/secured to a table/work bench.

F. Guffey