The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2002, 10:07 AM   #1
Strabs

M48 Headspace question

Search is apparently not working now so I gotta ask
I was prepared to buy gauges from Brownells to check the safety status of this Mauser when I ran across a discussion over at Milsurpshooter.com about this 19, 20 degree issue with 8mm Gauges.
Now I don't know what the heck to do. There are no smiths in the area that have the capability to check this for me and I'd rather not get into sending the bbl'd action off.
What is everyones take on this?

I will more than likely end up using milsurp ammo, s&b, etc. for the time being but would like to begin reloading in time.
Old February 1, 2002, 11:48 AM   #2
4 Eyed Six Shooter

Buy a set of guages and don't worry about the angle discussion. The guages will tell you if your firearm is safe to shoot or not. One degree is not going to make enough of a differance to matter. Strip your bolt of the extractor, clean the chamber and try the guages. More than likely the bolt will close on the go guage, on the no go the bolt will not fully close if headspace is within specs. Do not force the bolt on the guages, on let it go down on it's own weight. One degree of angle may make a differance if you are trying for minimum headspace. If the bolt closes on the no go you could try a field guage, and if it doesn't close on the field guage, you can still fire it with standard loaded ammo, but for safety's sake if it fails the no go guage I would have it rebarreled or have the barrel set back on thread. Hope this helps.
Good Shooting, John K
Old February 1, 2002, 12:20 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have bought a few of those rifles and also the K98k's and VZ-24's and I just give them an eyeball check and then fire them. Never ran into a headspace problem yet. I will bother checking headspace only if I think something may be wrong. I know the headspace fanatics (many of whom don't even know what it is) will have the fits, but I think it is way overblown.

I once took 7 different 8mm Mauser 98 rifles, made in 5 different countries and swapped bolts all around. Every combination passed a field gauge. (BTW, the Yugo M48 is not a true Mauser 98 but that does not affect the headspace question.)

Jim
Old February 1, 2002, 12:55 PM   #4
Strabs

Thanks guys