The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1
LOUD

electronic predator call

Hey there, Ive been thinking about doing some predator hunting , does anyone have an electronic call that they really like and have had good results with ? I want to help out with a local coyote problem in particular ! Any advice would be appreciated.................. LOUD
Old January 4, 2012, 12:27 AM   #2
warbirdlover

Make sure they're legal in your state. Wisconsin doesn't allow them (because the DNR has no clue as to what predator hunting really is)...
Old January 4, 2012, 02:20 AM   #3
5RWill

Everyone has good things to say about foxpro's we have a firestorm on the way. I'll make sure and let you know how it performs.
Old January 4, 2012, 02:37 AM   #4
huntinaz

Foxpro makes great calls and their customer service is supposedly top notch. I've definitely enjoyed the time I've spent behind Foxpro calls
Old January 4, 2012, 10:34 AM   #5
"JJ"

While I don't have anything against a Foxpro, my "fun money" budget doesn't exist! I went with the Primose Power Dogg for $70. I don't have as many calls as a Foxpro but the quality is great. There was some problems with the remote range when first I purchased the call, but Primos replaced the complete unit and I haven't had any trouble since. The new Turbo Dogg they just come out with has a new look, the ability to add up to 500 calls and a few other neat features for $139. I have read a review where one customer said he had some trouble with his remote communicating with the base unit, but the other reviews on some of the predator forums have been good. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old January 4, 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
603Country

I've also got that older version of the Primos Power Dog. I've called up some coyotes and bobcats with it, but when you crank it all the way up it sounds sort of 'tinny'. It would be better to have more call choices, like the new Power Dog and the Foxpro. I think, and I may be wrong, that by now the same sounds being played over and over and over have maybe alerted the coyotes rather than attracted them. I parked the Power Dog during deer season, and I'll try it out again in a couple of days. I'd rather have the Foxpro, but that's a lot more money. Before I spend that kind of money I'll spend more time trying to use the mouth calls (which I should be doing anyway). Based on actual performance, my best coyote call is a 3 day old dead pig. That really brings em in when the wind is right. And it doesn't need batteries.
Old January 4, 2012, 11:20 AM   #7
5RWill

I've been trying mouth calls and am trying to learn how to use them properly. But my father is the one that ponied up and spent the 360 on the foxpro. I could never do that, i have too many gun related projects that need finishing. But in a sense it will pay for itself in the amount of live stock it's going to help save on the levee.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:26 PM   #8
mrawesome22

You can make a very nice e- caller with a cheap mp3 player, a loud horn, and a battery operated amplifier.

www.varmintal.com has all the destructions.

I made one. Works beautifully.

Mouth calls work much better than any e-caller.
Old January 6, 2012, 05:36 AM   #9
rickyrick

I made the Varmint al caller and it works. Foxpro gets good comments but, while I an not poor it seems too pricey. I also have a tape caller that I found on clearance, it works also, but is bulky but works. I plan on making my own tapes at some point.

Mouth blown calls can be tricky to find over the counter, but for the price of a foxpro you can buy a gazillion mouth calls. I have had the best luck with mouth blown calls.

But if I found a duffle bag full of money, I would get the foxpro, I've heard nothing but good things.

I'll admit, a video came with a couple of primos calls, and I watched it. In some of the example hunts , they used the primos electronic caller and it seemed to work pretty good.
Old January 6, 2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Hunter Customs

I have an old Johnny Stewart electronic caller and it served me well. It's a cassette player, the down side to it is it's heavy and I can't find any good quality tapes for it anymore.

I purchased a Foxpro It's a lot lighter and works very well.

That being said I rely more on mouth blown calls.

Sometimes I use both. I'll start calling with a mouth blown call and use the Foxpro to coax them in closer and divert their attention away from my position.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com