The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 8, 2009, 04:26 PM   #1
skyview

Benelli Nova - Slugs Allowed?

I have a 18.5" smooth bore Benelli Nova, purchased in 2001 for home defense. Are all Benneli barrels good for rifled slugs or no? How does one tell?
Old November 8, 2009, 04:36 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If it is not "overbored" or otherwise warned against the use of slugs with a roll stamped warning on the barrel or written in the manual than you are safe to use regular slugs... "Sabot slugs" are for the rifled barrel "rifled slugs" are for the smooth bore barrels.
Brent
Old November 9, 2009, 11:38 AM   #3
skyview

Thanks. Not stamped on the barrel. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate the manual. Hence my question.
Old November 9, 2009, 11:40 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Being an 18.5 inch barrel, I highly doubt it is "overbored" unless it is a 3 1/2 inch magnum turkey type gun...
Brent
Old November 12, 2009, 08:39 PM   #5
minijeff

I have the 18 1/2" smoothbore Super Nova with the pistol grip, and it shoots those rifled slugs very well.
Old November 12, 2009, 08:59 PM   #6
inSight-NEO

I have a SuperNova Tactical (18.5" barrel...smoothbore) and have shot a large number of rifled slugs (Federal LE Tacticals) through my gun without issue.

From what I gather, if there are noteworthy restrictions concerning a particular type of load, it will most likely be stamped on the barrel itself. Otherwise, you should be fine.

If in doubt, give Benelli a call.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; November 12, 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Tags
benelli nova pump