The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old October 20, 2009, 12:15 PM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I very strongly suggest that folks refrain from hijacking a thread with snarky comments about how others hunt, when the others hunt in a legal fashion according to the laws and customs of their area.

There is a lot of legal and customary stuff that goes on that I don't particularly like, but that doesn't mean I have to run off at the mouth about it.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:38 PM   #27
Christchild

I SEE the side of Hunting a Feeder being "UNethical" (kind of), I do understand the "logic" behind it, BUT, if I had the opportunity to hunt a nice and Very Active Feeder as the one You have, and Fine Whitetail Deer LIKE THOSE, You can bet Your FINEST RIFLE I'd be there!!!

Either one of those deer are shooters. And again, if I had that opportunity, I'd ask to hunt that feeder MySelf, if I lived closer!!!

These are hard times, Bro's, but even if things were great, I'd make/take a "hunt" (kill) at that feeder. With a GOOD Heart!

Get 'Em, DeerHunter! Bring Home the Bacon!

Spicy Cayshun Deer Sausish, Anyone???

Last edited by Christchild; October 20, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:44 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

NOPE!!! NOT SHOOTER DEER!!!!
Can you inagine the risk involved in field dressing them and carrying them out like a back pack? Any other hunter in the woods would just have to take a shot putting you at risk
Brent
Old October 20, 2009, 01:58 PM   #29
koolminx

Quote:
koolminx, Some like being in a war zone. Ohio and I`ll turn ya loose in Wayne Nat`l Forrest opening day of shotgun season.
OK, I can totally understand THAT view point... I've been there in Maryland and done that but I still went.

I apologize if you thought I said that leasing land is unethical, that is not the part I find unethical. The unethical part I feel angst towards is better left out or lent to another thread. I apologize also to Art for going OT, and to Simon for being an ass in his thread, I should have started my own if I wanted to be a butt-head...

Shoot those tasty deer and send me some Sausage Simon!

Later,

K

Last edited by koolminx; October 20, 2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 20, 2009, 04:39 PM   #30
Beartrak

Well, let me drop my two pennies!

I stand hunted the same lease for nearly thirty years. At that time, in Texas, if you were fortunate enough to own enough land, you didn't have to lease. If you didn't own enough, well, it was either lease, papermill land, public land or somebody kind enough to LET you hunt their place.
I always wanted to bait, but the cattle would take over any baited area and the electronic feeders were not available at that time. (yeah, I'm a dinosaur!)
From there to today, things have happened. Thanks to a young lady that thought the radio was more important than the lane she was driving in, I have a titanium hip and a crushed foot. I don't walk now like I usta!
I never had the ability to slip along to still hunt deer, they always spotted me first. Even though, I've killed a couple while walking. Anymore, I use feeders and food plots. Just because deer come to them, doesn't mean I shoot them. Since I can no longer walk, this gives me the opportunity to see what's in the area, select the deer I want, and do some culling if necessary. I am still within the game laws of the state I live in. I check the laws each year to be certain that the laws haven't changed.
P.S. - I'd probably take the larger one.
Old October 20, 2009, 04:39 PM   #31
shortwave

Dearhunter, those deer look as though they`re just reaching their breeding prime. Think I`d pass for a few years and keep those genes alive in the herd. Probably a bigger,more mature dominant buck(maybe those deer`s daddy) in the area thats passed its prime to take. YMMV.
Old October 20, 2009, 05:44 PM   #32
ZeroJunk

What are you trying to keep away from your feeder?
Old October 20, 2009, 06:04 PM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Zero,
Quote:
What are you trying to keep away from your feeder?
I suspect it is feral hogs if not livestock...
The deer can jump in the fence while hogs and cattle cannot...
Brent
Old October 20, 2009, 06:32 PM   #34
Dearhunter61

Actually guys it is both. Last year when I hunted this place I had hogs and cattle run the deer off. Amazing. I told some other guys on the lease what happened and they were shocked. They had never seen it before. Then this past weekend I was there and sitting in my stand and looking at the feeder that is in the photos and cattle ran off 5 does and yearlings. I had shoveled all of the corn you see laying on the ground out of the pen and had thrown it outside the pen and that is where the deer were standing when the cattle started moving toward them and ran them off.

I have another feeder that can be seen by the same stand and I do not have a pen around it.

Also I want to thank all of you who responded and especially to those who weighed in and help explain what we are dealing with here in TX.

Thanks!
Old October 20, 2009, 06:36 PM   #35
Dearhunter61

ANd after much consideration I am going to try to pass on that buck. Perhaps if I see it in Dec and have not got a better one by then I will take it...that is assuming I even see it.

Last year the weekend before the season started I saw a magnificent 10 pointer. It was extremely tall and wide and very cemetrical...not sure if the spelling is correct...but I nor anyone else on my lease saw that buck during the season. So once the season begins I have learned all bets are off!
Old October 20, 2009, 08:25 PM   #36
shortwave

Dearhunter, glad to hear you decided to wait. Is it a secret to how long the legs/uprights are on your feeder.
Old October 20, 2009, 08:34 PM   #37
Dearhunter61

No...it is no secret...well perhaps it is...because I do not even know...never gave it much thought so I have never measured them. Sorry.
Old October 23, 2009, 12:04 AM   #38
Fat White Boy

The thing to remember about deer hunting is that the way it is conducted is different in every state. Each state has its own Department of Wildlife or Fish and Game or whatever, that lays down rules and regulations as to what is a legal means of take in that particular state and when you can do it. What may seem unfair in one state has no bearing as to what is fair in another state. As long as the gane was taken according to the Laws and Regulations for that state, it is fine with me.
Old October 23, 2009, 09:31 AM   #39
72gator

I personally think it is awesome that you have the opportunity to hunt. You are blessed! There are a lot of people that don't have that luxury. I was always taught that only the wealthy hunted in Texas, due to the lack of public land. I guess this is accurate??? Here in southcentral Pennsylvania, there is public land on every mountain-top...well over 100,000 acres in my county alone. Hunting can be very difficult with massive tracts of forest, limited numbers of deer on the mountains, abundant (or sometimes nearly non-existant) mast crops, etc. The bucks in your photos are magnificent, IMO. You shouldn't have to defend yourself in regards to the hunting methods practiced in you region. I am sure if I was raised in Texas and had the opportunity to hunt, I would do the same as you. Thanks for sharing your photos... and have a blast in your stand this season!
Old October 23, 2009, 10:17 AM   #40
30-30remchester

Not in my opinion though the bucks are nice they are tame baited animals. I would never hunt near or over bait HOWEVER I live out west where most mountainous counties have @80% public land. I have never had to hunt in an area that was all private with limited hunting opportunities. So without having experenced hunting back east I cant judge anyone or anything till I have had the opportunity to do so.
Old October 24, 2009, 07:44 AM   #41
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

if somebody wants to start the umpteenth thread about the ethics and morality of various hunting styles, feel free to do so.

This thread was intended to be about one simple question: Would you or would you not shoot that particular buck?

Since folks apparently have more interest in other things, enough...
Closed Thread