The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Lake City Brass Info

Hey, does anyone have any good reloading info for Lake City Brass? .223 brass, 55 grain bullets.

Another question, as long as the grain of the bullet is the same, is it going to be an issue to put any 55 grain with any .223 brass casing with the minimum gunpowder measurement? What I am asking is I may have a 55 grain bullet of a different make than the brass, ad can't find reloading info for what gunpowder to use. So, do I just use the minmum amount of powder out of all the different ones recommended? I hope this is not confusing. Thanks for all your advice.
Old April 2, 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Starting loads should be OK, but use the lowest one you can find in any manual for the powder and bullet weight you are interested in. IMR 4198 will work in them all with that bullet weight. It is the powder Stoner designed the AR to work with. Start at 19 grains and work up toward the low twenties, watching for pressure signs. Peak pressure depends on the volume the powder is burning in, so cases that have less capacity (i.e., most military brass) will raise pressure with a given load, while cases with more capacity (i.e., Winchester) will lower it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 2, 2009, 09:04 PM   #3
kraigwy

25.5 grns of 335 works great in my 223 bolt guns and two ARs, using 52-55 grn bullets.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 3, 2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Thanks

That's what I thought, pertaining to using the lowst powder amount and working up. Will have more questions soon more than likely. Good to see some guys from the Guard and Air Force. I just passed my 20 years with the Air Force Reserves and curently in the Air Guard. Thanks again.
Old April 3, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
ForneyRider

I got the RCBS primer pocket swager to deal with the LC and PMC brass.

I have to run them through twice to get a pocket big enough to fit the primer.

As above, I would start low on powder charge with the LC brass. I think the I.D. of LC is less than Remington/Winchester.

AA 2230 measures great and works well up to 60gr. I use R15 above that, but have load data for AA2230 up to 69gr SMK and it is not far off the mark. AA2230 is less than Varget or R15.

Last edited by ForneyRider; April 3, 2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: AA2230
Old April 3, 2009, 10:26 PM   #6
jdscholer

I've got a bunch of LC brass that we're going to start prepping for my buddy's 223. Will a deburring tool be sufficient to remove the primer crimp, or is the pocket swagger necessary?

Also, has anyone tried IMR 4895 in the 223. I've got a ton of it and thought---well, you know.

Also, I've got a thousand of this brass that I would sell or trade if anyone's interested. PM me. jd
Old April 4, 2009, 01:03 AM   #7
10 Spot Terminator

Recommend a primer pocket swager, trying to use a deburring tool wont get it done and your primer pockets wont be very unifom in their depth as well as the tension they put on the primers to hold them. Go to google or any web search engine and type in CH tool co. and check out their neat ( inexspensive ) swager . It is about $23.00 as I recall and fits in any standard reloading press . Easy to use and has gotten rave reviews from its users.
Old April 4, 2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Jdscholer,

The key word in your sentence is "bunch". If you really have a lot of cases to do, nothing beats the Dillon 600 bench swaging tool. It can literally run them at about 3 seconds per case if you have your workspace laid out right. It has a plate that allows the ram to pull clear of the brass even if it sticks at all (a complaint I've heard about the RCBS tool). The pivoting anvil can be adjsuted and keeps the inside of the head backed up so the swaging ram doesn't bend it inward at all. In fact, it tends to iron out flash hole burrs.

As to IMR 4895, your best bet is to get a box of Sierra 77 grain MatchKings for that. That bullet is stubby for its weight, so it provides the right combination of high-side bullet mass and maximized powder space that IMR 4895 needs in .223. I last used 23.3 grains (slightly compressed) with Federal 205M primers in cases that have about 30.5 grains of water capacity after firing in my AR chamber. The 77 grain SMK's were seated to the SAAMI maximum 2.260" COL. If you are using a different primer, back down two grains and work up. If your cases have less capacity after firing, back down two grains and work up. If you're not using my gun, back down 2 grains and work up. Yields MV of about 2700 fps.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 4, 2009, 11:54 PM   #9
jdscholer

I guess by "bunch" I meant a couple hundred for the immediate project. I've got about 1500 of the brass, and was going to give him about 500 and sell the rest. Guess it will depend on what he wants to buy in the way of equipment.

His rifle is a Ruger 77, and I'm assuming the twist is one in twelve or fourteen. I'll have to check. Will that stabilize a bullet that heavy? I had planned on going with something in the 55 gr. range. We're after economy and varmability. as you can maybe tell. And if we can't come up with some more small rifle primers, we're not going for much in the way of quantity. jd