The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 13, 2001, 06:32 PM   #1
Redlg155

Corespondence Courses for Gunsmithing

Fellow Shooters,

I used the search engine to check threads on Gunsmithing schools and didn't really find anything with correspondence type courses.

Although I do qualify for the Vocational Rehab program from the VA, I do not want to move my entire family...wife +4 kids to attend a gunsmithing school in another state, nor is it financially feasable. I currently reside in Florida.

Taking a machinist type vocational course can be done with the local Jr. College and I may be able to apprentice with a local smith to learn the trade. I still would want a bit more training under my belt.

My goals are to be able to start a small business by the end of next year doing minor smithing jobs out of the home and gradually progressing to having a small shop. This has pretty much been my long term plan, but I kinda got sidetracked by a 9 year stint in the Army and 4 years in Corrections..(employed as an officer....not as a resident.. )

Any help would be appreciated.

Good Shooting'
RED
Old June 13, 2001, 10:13 PM   #2
Doubleought

Modern Gun School is the only one I've found so far that looks like it would be worthwhile

http://www.dlilearn.com/mgs.htm

Good luck to you.