The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 17, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1
deepforks

Good deal on pistol?

got a guy who will sell me his ruger mkIII hunter for $500. bought new in december and only shot a few times. should i jump on it? seems they're a little hard to find right now and i've been wanting a ruger .22 pistol. i don't think its a smokin' deal, but seems pretty fair to me. buy or hold out?
Old March 17, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
jsust

buds had some mk iii in stock a couple weeks ago. so there out there. i have been seeing them on armslist in my area lately too. i just bought my mkiii target bb for 370 after taxes a couple weeks ago from my local range. are you stuck on the hunter model?
Old March 18, 2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Sevens

Having hands-on experience with all three (or four?) generations, I stand by my statement that I would spend more money for a clean, used Mark II pistol than I would for any Mark III pistol.

I'm fully convinced that the Mark II was the pinnacle of the design and is a superior pistol.

Many agree, some do not, some really think it's some kind of personal sour grapes, but with the emotion stripped from it-- I truly believe it's a better pistol.

So no, I wouldn't buy that one.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:16 AM   #4
chris in va

The MkIII models are simply a result of lawyers requiring extra crap on pistols we don't need. LCI, mag disconnect etc. as suggested try and find a MkII if you're bent on finding one.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Pahoo

Why not ???

deepforks
I know that there are design features of the MK-III Hunter that you like. This one is the high end of the current MK's. As all the generations, of the Mk family, were issued. I too got hooked and that's not a bad thing.. ...

As far as a smoking deal, I paid $450.00 for mine but the $500.00+, is the going rate and doubt that they will ever come down. ...

However, as others have pointed out, functionally they are basically the same and I too would recommend the MK-II and save yourself some bucks that you will need to buy ammo. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 19, 2013, 08:58 PM   #6
deepforks

well, he changed his mind at the last minute so i guess the search is back on. what are your thoughts about the browning buckmarks?
Old March 20, 2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Pahoo

Eventually you will still want a Ruger MK.

Quote:
what are your thoughts about the browning buckmarks?
If you can, hold out for a Ruger MK-II. There are going to be a whole bunch of folks come back and swear by their BuckMarks. They have good reason to feel this way. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 20, 2013, 03:37 PM   #8
mrcharlie3531

just traded for a mark II s/s. I love it
Old March 20, 2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Viper99

New ones around me even in these crazy times are $479.
Old March 20, 2013, 05:17 PM   #10
SauerGrapes

I think you'll find the Buckmarks are even harder to find than the Rugers. I say either are a safe bet.
Keep an eye out, I see Rugers popping up on the interweb. Buckmarks, not so much.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 21, 2013, 11:22 PM   #11
deepforks

so what are the differences between the mark ii and iii? what makes the mark ii so much more desirable?

so i did find a mark ii local. it looks like a comp. model? the guy was asking 750, i offed 400, he stood firm at 575. i passed. so if i do find another mark ii, what is a fair price? heres a pic of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7331217.jpg (13.4 KB, 43 views)
Old March 21, 2013, 11:26 PM   #12
jimbob86

I have a MkIII 22/45.

I do not want a Buckmark.

I DO want another Ruger, though. Threaded barrel this time.
Old March 21, 2013, 11:32 PM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
so what are the differences between the mark ii and iii? what makes the mark ii so much more desirable?
The MKIII has all the California/Mass complinace stuff: Loaded Chamber Indicator/Dirt Catcher, Magazine Disconnect/trigger pull mucker-upper, giant "read user manual" safety warning rollmark, etc...... Lawyer-proofing stuff.

All but the rollmark can be fixed with a Brownells Catalog (Volquartsen kit!).
Old March 22, 2013, 06:21 AM   #14
BillyJack3

I think these are the two compares when one is shopping for a solid .22 shooter. The Ruger or the Buckmark. There are tons of threads on the two and religious debates that go along with them. I went with the Buckmark and love it. Felt so much better in the hand and the trigger is outstanding for stock.
Old March 23, 2013, 04:38 PM   #15
ET.

I bought a Buckmark for my wife to shoot. I seem to shoot it more than she does. My neighbor owns a Ruger MkII and we all love the way it shoots, but he hates having to break it down to clean and he especially hates having to put it back together again. I think he would trade it straight up for the Buckmark if I caught him right when he was trying to clean it. But other than that, he wouldn't think of replacing it with a Buckmark.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:58 PM   #16
deepforks

well, the guy with the mark ii comp. target must have needed to sell because he called back today and decided to sell it to me. its a sweet pistol
Old March 31, 2013, 04:51 PM   #17
Viper99

If you got that competition model for $400, you got yourself a very good deal.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:51 PM   #18
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
If you got that competition model for $400, you got yourself a very good deal.
Tell me about it that is a nice gun!
Old April 2, 2013, 07:39 PM   #19
deepforks

i'm happy with the deal. tore it down last night for a cleaning. my god, i bet that thing had never been cleaned. took a while but it's spotless now!
Old April 3, 2013, 03:19 PM   #20
LED

The deal was todays market price. No qualms.
Regarding the MK2, don't worry about it. The purpose of any Ruger Mark is target shooting or hunting not CCW. Some people take the mag disconnect as a personal insult. In this case the feature will alert you to the mag not properly seated before you fire. I for one don't care at all. Same with the mag release, a matter of taste.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #21
Sevens

Quote:
Some people take the mag disconnect as a personal insult. In this case the feature will alert you to the mag not properly seated before you fire. I for one don't care at all. Same with the mag release, a matter of taste.
I beg to differ. Your post seems to want to reduce real things to a mere emotional reaction. For many, this is simply not accurate.

The mag disconnect safety means that you MUST have an empty, unloaded mag inserted in to the firearm to begin the field-stripping process. This goes against the training and process of most anyone that's ever handled handguns. It also makes for a truly annoying, obnoxious circumstance when you find yourself holding the handgun & wishing to take it apart while it has a loaded magazine. This is much more a annoyance for something the serves in a defense role, where you most often simply do NOT have an empty magazine empty, but it is still a real situation that doesn't need emotion attached to it to be considered a poor idea.

The magazine release also can't simply be reduced to "preference" for most people. Folks who are used to and trained with a typical North American style button release will obviously much prefer the newer system while the european-style heel magazine release works just fine, it's a system that you must accept or learn to accept if you aren't familiar with it.

I have had my Mark II since 1994 and I'm thoroughly satisfied with it; have said before that all in all, it could be argued that it may be the BEST firearm I actually own and the heel-type magazine release is something that I am used to and can accept. But to argue that it's simply a "preference" or to make it sound like it's all about "feelings" is to attempt to reduce real mechanical features or issues to emotional thoughts.

It's not accurate and it does a disservice to a rational discussion on the subject.
Old April 3, 2013, 05:16 PM   #22
LED

I have noticed the same myself. People who disagree with me can ruin a perfectly good discussion.
Seriously. Ruger is not stupid. They made changes to the Mark3 for a reason. They can speak for themselves. I only said that I can live with those changes in a mostly recreational and sporting rimfire pistol.

Good shooting.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:16 PM   #23
mxsailor803

Nice find!! I'm wanting a MKII myself just because the lack of extra crap not needed. Now go find a brick and let it rip!!
Old April 5, 2013, 08:12 AM   #24
mrcharlie3531

Good Buy!! on the ruger mark II Comp Target