The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

small cartridge Contender & rifle barrel length powders...

we just finished 2 Contender barrels, one 10" & one 23" in 5.7 X 28, as well as a couple 17 caliber Hornets ( mine a K Hornet, my buddies an Akley Hornet ) also in 10" & 23"... we are also both loading for some other small cartridges, like 22 Hornet, 256 Win Mag, etc...

I'd think the powder properties would be similar between some of these smaller cartridges, case capacity for case capacity, bullet weight for bullet weight, barrel length for barrel length ??? most / all of the 5.7 data we've found has been with faster powders... we are both looking at expirimenting with some slightly slower powders...

curious if anyone is loading for these or similar smaller cartridges, & cares to share wht they are loading for, & using for components ???

unfortunately it's winter here in MN, & it's a perfect time of the year for reloading, but a less thn perfect time to test loads for pressure signs, before reloading too many rounds up... looking to share data as a place to start
Old February 10, 2009, 12:54 PM   #2
darkgael

rifle powders

As an experiment, I loaded the 5.7X28 with IMR 4064 under a 55 grain FMJ. I don't have my load book here but the charge weight was about 8 grains. (you can't get enough into the case to be dangerous). Used small pistol primers. There were no overpressure indications on the primer, on extraction or on the diameter of the casehead.
The rounds functioned in the 5.7 pistol but were subsonic.
Pete