The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 21, 2008, 10:11 PM   #1
mmasteve

rem 870

if i get a home defense 870 or a regular 26 or 28 inch to duck hunt and shoot skeet can i buy the other barrel so i can switch them back and fourth
Old April 21, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2
Juhosaphat

Of course. But if you want to do that, then buy the hunting model, not the home defense model. I'm no hunter personally, but I'm pretty sure it's only 3 or less shells for a shotgun to carry as a hunting shotgun. So either switch the magazine tube and barrel if you get the home defense model or just switch the barrel after buying the hunting model
Old April 21, 2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Stiofan

Don't know how it's done now, but my Wingmaster holds 4 rounds, plus one in the chamber. You're required to use a mag plug so it only holds 2 rounds. I've never felt the need for more than 5 rounds total....
Old April 22, 2008, 05:14 AM   #4
rem870hunter

yes, even if you get an 870 with mag. extension. it may look a little silly at the skett/trap range with a 28" vent rib and 8 shot extension. but it can be done. the older models didn't require mag. tube modification. so if you are planning on using mag extension. buy one with the extension on it or buy an older model 870. or just press the dimples flat.

if you are getting the wingmaster they seem to only sell the brand new ones with a 26" or 28" vent rib. you can buy loose 18.5" and 20" barrels for it.

or buy an express model which you can get any of the following on the shotgun when you buy it. 18.5" bead sighted,20" rifle sighted with or without remchoke,26",28" vent rib remchoke barrels. and you can get any of those loose afterwards.they have a 30" vent rib remchoked barrel too. loose bought only i think.

they did have a combo of a slug or sabot barrel and a vent rib, express model only though. should be on the remington.com website.

for HD and deer hunting i use my 20" rifle sighted imp. cyl. choked barrel, and i have a 28" remchoked vent rib barrel too.

other than HD, skeet/trap and waterfowl hunting would you be using it for anything else now or in the future? deer ,bear hunting?
Old April 22, 2008, 07:09 AM   #5
Full-choke

I would go ahead and get a regular synthetic stock 870 express with a 26 or 26 inch barrel. Then, I would purchase another barrel used or new from someone that is down around 18 or 20 inches for HD...it would probably be the cheapest route to do it that way.

F-C
Old April 26, 2008, 11:05 PM   #6
flip180

Here you go!

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ess_combos.asp

Flip.