The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 9, 2001, 05:38 PM   #1
AUTiger73

S&W Model 66 w/firing pin in hammer

I'm looking at a S&W Model 66 that's new, unfired, in original factory box. I was surprised to find it has the hammer mounted firing pin. Seems to me the current production has the frame mounted firing pin with a transfer bar system.

While I am aware that the S&W - J-frame (Chief Special, et.al.) changed to the frame mounted firing pin at least 2 years ago, I'm unsure about when the S&W K-frame (Model 66, et.al.) and for that matter when the L-frame and N-frame changed to the frame mounted firing pin. Current gun magazines indicate all S&W are coming with the new firing pin system.

ATTENTION S&W Experts!

Question: When did the the S&W K-Frame guns change to the frame mounted firing pins?

Thank You in advance for any information on this.
Old October 9, 2001, 10:09 PM   #2
dewey

I have a 1995 K-comp which has the hammer firing pin. I also have a 1996 M627PC gun with a frame mounted firing pin. IMHO, they proly changed over in 95/96. SOUNDS LIKE A NICE 66, a forever gun indeed.best.....dewey... ...

...and He will come again . . . SOON !
Old October 9, 2001, 10:45 PM   #3
Mark IV Series 80

If the price is right (under $425) it would be a good deal.
IMO, the newer ones are not as good as the older ones with the hammer-mounted firing pin.

The M66 is the most accurate centerfire handgun that I have ever fired.

I shoot mostly 38 Special loads through the M66, and 158 grain, .38 Special +P, LSWCHP for defense.
I would only use .357 Magnums if I needed to use the gun for hunting.
Others here may tell you that it doesn't take too many full-charge, 125 grain, .357 Magnums to crack the forcing cone.
For me, this is not a limitation.

Good Luck!

-Mk.IV
Old October 10, 2001, 12:06 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

It may be new, but it's likely been sitting around on a shelf for a couple of years,

Or, if it is new production straight from the factory, it's probably one of a bunch of frames that were socked away somewhere at the plan and were just discovered.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 10, 2001, 08:09 AM   #5
AUTiger73

Thanks for the responses.

The price is exactly $ 425. It also comes in the newer plastic box rather that the old blue cardboard box.

After having collected S&W revolvers (mostly J-Frames and occasionally a limited edition or special order N-Frame), I joined others in boycotting S&W products in response to their "deal with the devil". Now the devil in tempting me to buy another S&W.

My preference is the hammer mounted firing pin. This particular gun appears to be "new-old stock" - maybe of "pre-boycott" manufacture. Very tempting indeed.
Old October 10, 2001, 09:01 AM   #6
alp-257

AUTiger73:

Do not let it go !!! It´s (IMHO) one of the best all around revolvers.

Buy and enjoy it, you´ll not regret.

Good luck and good shots.

ALP
Old October 10, 2001, 11:41 AM   #7
Inspector Callahan

I recently ran across a NIB 3" model 66 that was manufactured in 1998. As a boycotter, I made sure of the date before I bought it. It has the hammer-mounted pin and came in the plastic box. There is no way I'd trade this gun. Slapped a Butler Creek boot grip on it and trashed the laminated factory slivers. It's a keeper.

Callahan
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old October 10, 2001, 08:52 PM   #8
MiniZ

Grab that one!!