The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 9, 2001, 02:19 PM   #1
CBlackjr

practice question?

How much time, per week is recommended for a swat officer to practice pistol shooting.
Old July 9, 2001, 02:39 PM   #2
KSFreeman

I've heard that 400 rounds per night is the accepted standard. Do you have your special wall-climbing boots yet?
Old July 9, 2001, 03:16 PM   #3
CBlackjr

Quote:
I've heard that 400 rounds per night is the accepted standard. Do you have your special wall-climbing boots yet?
not yet I am still trying to find a sling for my spas-12 so I can carry that and my M60. BTW I still need to find two holsters so that will fit a couple mk23s on each side of my leg
Old July 9, 2001, 07:34 PM   #4
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

maybe 5 good minutes of dry-firing (after clearing the weapon, of course) a night. Combine another minute or two of manuever to shoot/no shoot scenarios with dryfire, as well as weapon presentations from holster.

50 good rounds a week downrange. Start by presenting the weapon and emptying it into the target(s). Use this as your gauge of your weekly progress, as how you do when you first go is probably about how you'll do in real life. Work on accuracy and form, and speed will come.

This should work pretty darn well for you. Be sure on the dryfire to always have a clear image of your front sight. After you've done basic dryfire for a week or two, begin placing a coin atop your slide. Work on squeezing that trigger while not disturbing that coin. You can start with a quarter, go to a nickel, then a dime. Try to retain this gentle feeling on the trigger while gradually speeding up your practice.

Good luck.
Old July 9, 2001, 08:36 PM   #5
KSFreeman

O.K., time for serious answer:

Dry fire: usually every other night, 100 good presses (200 sight pictures). I have mirror and an old vest as backstop. This has really helped my desire to flinch, which placed most shots at 7 o`clock and put two (2) holes with one shot through a wall at TR (sorry again, Heide). Although recently I am doing the Jeff Cooper trick with the TV. I do the presentation real slow for a few times, then full speed a couple of dozen times.

At the range: Once (twice if lucky) a week. I start with accuracy drills--shooting for same hole, blind swordsman drills, then head shots at 10 then 20 yards. I then go with speed stuff--a couple of Bill Drills, then while moving back or to side. One handed practice. Quick run through malfunction drills, usually just twice per mal. I then practice my positions--overhead, on side, seated, on back, etc.--and crouching, kneeling, BJ kneeling. Then back off to 50 and do some prone work. I then do Kenny H's drill, but sometimes I do the LFI-II qual instead. Then I end with accuracy work, yesterday I did head shots at 25 (8 shots into the neck--need more practice). After this stuff I usually go over to my club's steel range and unload on the plates. I don't know if this hurts or helps me. but it's a lot of fun.

Train with a partner. It's like lifting. If you someone to "spot" you and motivate you, it helps tremendously.
Old July 10, 2001, 01:47 PM   #6
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Stop training when you get fatigued. If you train after you're too tired to do it right, you'll be practicing mistakes.

Another tip: end on a good note, with a good shot.
Old July 14, 2001, 10:38 PM   #7
Hard Ball

One good training session a week should do. If your range facility alows it practice on multipe targets, pivots and turns to engage, reloading, and transitioning from rife to pistol or vice versa.