The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 3, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Zmax

7600 feeding problems.

Last fall I bought a in the box 7600 in 35 whelen I believe it was made in 2006. At first it would not eject spent shells at all. I checked the chamber and there was a bur so I had a gunsmith polish it out. Now it will fire and eject a shell flawlessly if I hand load it with no magazine in. So I bought a new magazine no difference. Brought it back to gunsmith he has found nothing wrong. Barrle is on tight I know this can be a problem with these guns. I have tried Remington 200 and 250 grain Hornady 200 gr and federal bear claw 225 grain. Gunsmith has it feeding ok with Remington 250 gr round nose but not good enough to hunt with. I am at a lost any ideas should I have him polish the feed ramp. The first round will feed but the second hits and jams everything up.
Old May 4, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
It's the Magazine

Your magazine needs tweaking , I can make it feed !
Old May 5, 2012, 04:13 AM   #3
Zmax

Yeah. That's what I thought too. What do I need to tweak on magazines.
Old May 5, 2012, 03:25 PM   #4
oneoldsap

I have an under bench vice with wood lined jaws , that works like a charm . I work on these rifles a lot , and it's very seldom that a new clip will work perfect right out of the box . It should be a matter of opening or closing up one or both lips , but from here I can't tell . Sometimes you have to file a lip to get it opened enough to feed , without the bolt hitting it . It's a learned thing , from trial and error . I hate the latest version of the clips , they're junk ! Sounds like maybe you need to open up the lip on the right side where the second round feeds from . Just a little bit at a time . I like to use the vice because the whole length of the lip will move evenly and won't hump up in the middle . You'll figure it out , it's not rocket surgery !
Old May 7, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
Zmax

I went to the gun smith Sunday he has it cycling 250 gr cartridges. I am having him polish the feed ramp. I will post once I shoot it. Should be only a couple weeks.
Old May 7, 2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Husqvarna

talk about coincidence, I registered just to ask a similar question

I took a rifle (used) from a local shop out for a test fire today. I loaded up the mag, worked the pump, took aim and fired, and could not for the life of me pump it, I was firing springfield training ammo in 30-06, I am a big dude and could for the life of me work it,I took the mag out of course and I began fidgeting with it .

I didn't know if I was doing something wrong or if something was wrong with the rifle (because I am new to pumps in general, not common in Sweden),

I finally banged on the side om the pump and could work it to eject the spent round. It looked kinda iffy, a hard primer hit for sure and a dent on the side of the bottom (excuse me if I don't know the correct words)

it came with 2 mags, one looks alright, the other looks really banged up and someone took a saw to it and sawed three grooves in the side/front and the top sides were bent, it could only load 2 rounds aswell

I am thinking that one mag was for the 30-06 and the other for the 65x55

What could this be? I talked to a gunsmith friend to the family over the phone and he advised me to not continue testing it

I did hit the target at 80 meters and maybe 10cm to the right and up, first and only time I fired it and with iron sights.

It is relatively cheap, about 250usd, cheap for sweden and cheap for me because I am a lefty and the supply for lefty guns is abysmal, and costs an arm and a leg usually, I researched this model and found it interesting, I am mainly a pig hunter and the 30-06 is a good round, and the rifle had a 6,5x55 barrel to, the swedish national round, great and cheap for practise and other hunting (all hunting in Sweden really even bear) so I want it but can't fork out the 1200usd a new one costs here.

Luckily I didn't buy it at first glance, only 50 rounds at about 60bucks :P
Old May 8, 2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Husqvarna

Hey Zmax did your pump "lock" itself in the forward position after the first shot? even after the mag was removed

I got two mags with it and one was severly abused (maybe home gunsmithed?)

the dealer just said that the lips were opnened up to fire the 3006

I fired from the other mag that looked better
Old May 8, 2012, 11:15 AM   #8
rbernie

On the feeding side of things - I have had very poor luck getting any flat tipped or hollow point ammo to feed in any 742/7400/760/7600 rifle (and it wasn't for lack of trying!). The lack of a properly formed feed ramp (especially in the later versions, which seem to be lacking a machined ramp below the chamber) can allowa the nose of the round to dip too far down and jam against the receiver wall/barrel shank below the chamber. You can tweak the magazine lips to position the rounds higher in the front, but that only helped me when the action was moving vigorously and was less help in the pumps than the autoloaders.

The only way that I got 100% reliability was a combination of mag tweaking, taking the edge off the receiver to form a bit of a ramp, and using only SP/FMJ spitzers.

I have toyed with the idea of modifying the magazines to include an integral feed ramp in the front (a la the Springer/Leatham 1911 9mm magazines) but ran out of interest.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Husqvarna

So my problem with the pump locking in the front position and not being able to eject the fired round is not the usual mag issue? In your case you could pump it back but had trouble pumping it forward?
Old May 8, 2012, 04:27 PM   #10
rbernie

Yes - feed issues occur during the forward pump motion and extraction/ejection issues occur as you pump to the rear.

If you have a spent round in the chamber and the slide will not move to the rear, you either have a stuck shell or the gun has a mechanical issue. Have you tried to pogo the gun?
Old May 8, 2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Big Pard

Husqvarna, sounds like the shell was swelled in the chamber. Have you tried other brands of ammo? Another thing to consider is to make sure the clip is seated properly in the receiver. If you look on the front edge of the clip you should see the little hump that keeps the front of the clip in place. If that hump gets wore or pushed in it could let the front of the clip fall enough to cause feeding problems.

Last edited by Big Pard; May 8, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:36 PM   #12
oneoldsap

You need to clean and polish your chamber Swede . That generally will take care of extraction problems that don't involve a broken extractor . To do a propper job of it I always remove the barrel ! Zmax , your rifle should cycle whatever bullet you care to use , that's how they leave my shop anyways !
Old May 8, 2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Zmax

Yeah I had the same problem as you at first husqvarna. I had a burr in my chamber that I had smoothed out i also had alot of grease not oil real thick that I cleaned out. The gun would Now shoot and eject the shell perfectly but only if I had no clip in. My problem now is once I shoot the first round and pump the second it locks up only a few inches back. It's funny that the 250 gr round nose have worked best so fare . I will pick the gun up and shoot it this weekend and let you guys know how it goes.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Stick_man

I have a 760 (same as the 7600) in .30-06 and have very rarely had any problem with it. Seems like the only time I ever have problems with it is when I use "hot" loads, then it tends to stick a little. I have had mine for over 30 yrs now and bought it because I am a lefty. Had been using an old bolt gun but found this (used) and felt it would make for quicker follow-up shots if needed. If I ever shoot out the barrel, I will get it rebarreled to a .25-06 and pick up another one in .30-06
Old May 20, 2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Zmax

Just got my gun back and test fired. I had the the feed ramp and bore polished and the magazines/clips "tweaked". Now the gun will fire and cycle 200gr and 250gr shells. I shot 200gr Remington and hornady and 250gr Remington round nose. It seems the last shell my hang up a bit more but still cycles easy enough. As a side note a friend bought a 7400 in 35 whelen also and had the same prob. He bought his gun at gander mt and took it back they exchanged it and said caliber was to big for action "bull". Well I asked my gun smith he said its all the magazines and remington! Was telling pepole to find the old all Steel mags and it would solve 90% of reliability problems. This is for a difrent gun I know but I may try the same too.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:41 PM   #16
Zmax

Update

Hi just wanted to give a update. I bought a older all steel magazine and the gun works great. The steel magazine is like a 1/8" shorter heights wise. So if you buy a 7600 and have jamming trouble make sure barrel is tight(check action bar). Deburr chamber and polish feed ramp (what little there is) buy older all metal Magazine new ones are junk though you can get them to work. I have shot 33 rounds with new clip no hiccups.( wanna save my ammo)