The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2012, 10:09 PM   #1
EmptyHull

223 C.O.A.L 55 gr question

Started loading the .223 with 25grs H335, CCI 400 and Sierra 55gr SBT bullets #1365. I am looking for a recipe using the Winchester 55gr FMJ. My book doesn't have one. This is for the 16" Bushmaster AR15. Thanks, Tim.
Old April 24, 2012, 10:47 PM   #2
golfnutrlv

I have had the best results with a COAL of 2.24 in my AR for 55 gr bullets.

I load the heavier 69 Gr matchkings to 2.257, which is just under max length.

Honestly, though, the winchester's should be fine loaded with data for a standard 55 gr FMJ. Bear in mind though, that the Winchester 55gr FMJ bullets I have used are shorter when compared to a Hornady 55gr FMJ. Set your die appropriately, and shoudn't be a worry.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old April 25, 2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Jim243

Most OAL for 55 gr bullets are 2.20 since you are using a under max load of powder that will not be a problem.

Jim
Old April 25, 2012, 04:52 AM   #4
EmptyHull

So I can keep the same charge and measure the length of the bullets and adjust the OAL accordingly? For my 45acp, I shoot cast but use data for all 230gr cast bullets and do not worry about different manufacturers. Thanks,Tim
Old April 25, 2012, 08:23 AM   #5
rg1

Same load for the Sierra 55 grain bullets will work with your Winchester 55 fmj's. Might drop back to 24.5 and work up looking for what your rifle likes best. The Win 55 fmj's I've loaded have a long sharply pointed tip and overall length is best at 2.250". Win 55 fmj's are not the most consistent or most accurate but ok for plinking and blasting. Most recommend CCI 450 or CCI 41's for AR's but others use the CCI 400 and have no issues. The tip shape of the Win 55 fmj's may vary a few thousandths and I'd seat them to where the longest would be 2.250" with some ending up slightly less.

Last edited by rg1; April 25, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old April 25, 2012, 10:01 AM   #6
EmptyHull

That's what I was looking for. I will drop down and work up from there. So far the CCI400's are working fine.
Old April 25, 2012, 09:16 PM   #7
EmptyHull

Bought the Winchester 55gr FMJ's tonight. Measured about .015" longer than the Speers SBT that i was using. Cabelas also had a sale on the CCI 400's for $30 per 1000 so i grabbed some of those. Tim
Old April 27, 2012, 06:43 PM   #8
amamnn

It is best not to become married to a COAL. For starters, the COAL mentioned in reloading manuals and websites is partly to put everyone using the data on notice that your results may vary if you use a different number--this is really kind of silly since seating dies do not index the bullet on the tip, nor on the datum point of the ogive of the bullet, but somewhere--where oh where--else.

The best way to determine your best seating depth (which to my way of thinking is bassackwards since I am interested in how close the bullet is to touching the lands of the barrel) is to get a good bullet comparator like the Sinclair hex tool which is made with the same reamers that are used to create chambers in barrels, an RCBS precision mic, if one is made for your cartridge and start measuring, and some digital calipers.

I like the RCBS tool because it does not stick in the barrel and give false readings as the old home made ogive comparator of a used case and a bullet does. The RCBS "bullet" is not so soft as to stick if jammed in the lands.

The COAL you read about may or not yield the best accuracy for you--you must experiment--that's what this handloading thing is all about--finding the best load and tailoring cartridges to specific guns..........an end in itself.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:01 PM   #9
jepp2

Maximum OAL when loading for the AR is determined by magazines, not throats. I use the SAAMI max link as the guideline for max and that is 2.260" and that length fits in all the magazines I have ever tried it in. That is much shorter than the length limited by the throat. YMMV