The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 11, 2011, 02:06 PM   #1
cowboyray

reloading .223 for ar

The problem is that the bullets start in the neck tight enough ,,but when they are seated to correct depth, they are lose and fall into the case. Turning the crimping die down to tighten crimp does not help. If its down to far it creates a bulge in the shoulder area.
Old December 11, 2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Jimro

What bullets, and what dies are you using?

Very heavy bullets, over 77 grains, don't fit an AR mag and have to be single loaded most of the time.

Jimro
Old December 11, 2011, 02:12 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

It sounds more like a sizing problem to me.

A recomendation is to back off the crimp to where the bullet seats without crimping. I have loaded for a plethora of AR rifles. None have required crimping.

Now try screwing the sizing die down another half a turn. take a bullet and see if it will start in the case. If it goes in with absolutely no resistance at all then screw the sizing die down some more about 1/8 turn and repeat until you have enough tension that you can not push a bullet in with your fingers alone.
Old December 11, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4
mrawesome22

I had this problem every time I tried to use Federal brass in 3 different cartridges.
Old December 11, 2011, 04:29 PM   #5
jepp2

Quote:
Now try screwing the sizing die down another half a turn.
If the OP has properly sized his brass this recommendation could result in excessive headspace (0.036" shoulder set back) and shouldn't be done.

Is the case being fully sized? How are you setting up your die? If you can provide more information, it will be easier to assist you.
Old December 11, 2011, 04:38 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

Jepp from the desription the OP is giving it sounds like a lack of neck tension. Also let me clarify my earlier post. Set the die acording to the manufaturers instructions. Try to put a bullet into the case. If you push it in and it goes in screw the die down just a bit more till the bullet goes in but you can not push it in with your fingers.

If the bullet is still pushing in then you have an over sized expander button. You can either pollish it to a smaller diameter, or contact the maker and arrange to send it to them, or they may send you a replacement.
Old December 11, 2011, 05:05 PM   #7
mehavey

Quote:
(1) ...the bullets start in the neck tight enough,...
(2) ...but when they are seated to correct depth,
(3) ...they [become] loose and fall into the case...
(1) Tells me nothing is apparently wrong with the neck's sizing/expanding operation -- or resultant dimensions

(2) Question: What brand/weight/style bullet and how deep (Overall cartridge length)?

(3) Tells me the bullet's ogive is coming into play during seating, which should never be the case. (no pun intended)

A little info, please:
- What brand cases?
- What brand dies?
- How are you setting up the sizing die? (screwed fully down to seat against the shellholder in the ram?)
- What brand/style/weight bullets?
- What deep (OAL) are you seating them?