The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2011, 11:29 PM   #26
Tactical Jackalope

Okay! Well that pic on the second post up pretty much sums up my next .45 Thank you, I will post a pic of when I get the gun. With a tac light of course I want the 3rd Generation. The 4 looks funny..... Gotta put it on layaway so it may take a while.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:21 AM   #27
Lokpyrite

Get wichever one feels best in your hand, but if you get the XD don't get the version with the thumb saftey.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:29 AM   #28
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah? What's wrong with the thumb safety version?

They both feel amazing and shoot great in my hands. "/ but another glock it is
Old January 17, 2011, 01:45 PM   #29
Burger

Burger - NICE! I like the Glock 21, that one looks so silky smooth..Weridish/Nice

Thank you. You should see my G27.
Old January 17, 2011, 11:23 PM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in. Undecided again. Anyone have both? Only thing in question is the reliability. I've recently been seeing a lot of "kaboom" pics. why does this happen?
Old January 17, 2011, 11:57 PM   #31
cougar gt-e

Quote:
Yeah? What's wrong with the thumb safety version?
Nothing. It works well and if you are comfortable pushing it reflexively, no problem. Some folks don't have that training and it confuses them, others have no issue. It's called choices.

If you like the Glock, get it. If you like the XDm, get it. There is no real data on quality for either, just opinion and internet gossip. I think they are both extremely reliable and would trust either to function when needed.
Old January 23, 2011, 11:23 AM   #32
Tactical Jackalope

Alright......Well just put the $ down for a XD45 on layaway. This hopefully shouldn't take that long. I wanna get the sucker already. Anxious feeling.

I only went with the XD45 because it's something different and my friends here have some and I already have 2 Glocks and you know.....Just did it. If I love it, thank GOD! If I hate it, for sale (which won't happen) Hopefully it won't blow up in my hands. I can determine the sound difference of a squibble round but dunno if I'm rapid firing...lol.....fml.....

So, this .45 will be what I've been wanting for home defense, high capacity .45 with a light on the end just in case I need it it's there.

Does anyone think I should get the G21 instead or stay with the XD45? I just wanted to try something different and put 300 through it first day I get it, either one...

Speak now or forever hold your piece...

Get it? Piece? lol no Peace...ha..haha...ha............ha.............
Old January 23, 2011, 11:28 AM   #33
Uncle Malice

You ordered and XD45 or an XDM45?

Whichever one, doesn't really matter. I voted for the G21, but that's because it's my own preference. I had an XD45c for a while. Good gun. I think you will be pleased either way.
Old January 23, 2011, 12:03 PM   #34
Tactical Jackalope

Oh...yeah...Sorry! XD45

I know I wanted the Glock 21 too for a while but I feel that if I didn't move out of Glock as my only polymer pistol that I trust I'd be doomed to only Glock. Don't like just one kind. Like a variety. I think had I not owned or bought the G27 last year this would have been a Glock 21.

Point of this was and is to keep it as home defense and carry. I love .45 more than ever since I bought my 1911 but it's so underpowered with only 8 rounds when other people with 9's carry 16+. Better to have the extra .45 rounds than to need them and not have them.

I need a tack light....150-200 lummens...hmmmmm???

Why did you sell the XD?
Old January 23, 2011, 12:09 PM   #35
mister2

Dunno if it matters, but arthritis onset means I'm actually more comfortable on long range runs with a larger grip (and I definitely don't have large hands), which means the 21sf and XD are equally acceptable, though one feels like a G17 that swelled up and the other like a double stack 1911 that softened into a rounder shape.

If I had to choose from actual experience, I would go with the 21sf since that had the better trigger in a side x side comparison some years ago. The XDM trigger may be better than the XD.

Sucks when I can't do the opening riff to Pipeline anymore....
Old January 23, 2011, 12:13 PM   #36
hot sauce

I own a Glock 21 and love it. I just wish Glock would make a tactical practical version of it. Like what the 34 is to the 17......why Glock...why?
Old January 23, 2011, 12:17 PM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

Ah......So you both think I should have just stuck with the Glock then huh? I dunno...Maybe after a while I'll get one, just wanted something different. I love Glocks. Have 2 in .40 and all. Grip felt a little larger though....Maybe cause the Glock has a stronger plastic?
Old January 23, 2011, 01:38 PM   #38
Uncle Malice

I didn't have any problems with my XD's, they just didn't call to me the way that the Glock did. I'm also a tinkerer. I always add the extended slide release, mag release, trigger connector, etc.

A good glock trigger (not factory) is among the best on the market these days. That, and the availability of parts is why I stick with glock.

Give the xd a shot. If you like it, great. If not, trade it in. good luck.

Oh, i'm also a fan of the TLR3 light.
Old January 23, 2011, 04:28 PM   #39
Terry A

I have the SA XD-45 and the Glock 21SF. Both are tied for my 2 favorite pistols.
The ONLY difference for me is the XD grip is a bit smaller and I can wrap my who hand around it. The grip on the Glock 21SF is just about a quarter of an inch too big for my hands.

50-50!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old January 24, 2011, 01:42 AM   #40
Tactical Jackalope

THANK YOU BOTH! For the insight TLR3 looks great. Thanks Uncle Malice. And Terry, I feel you! Think I'm going to eventually do the same and have both just not able to buy both at the same time. Pics eventually!
Old January 24, 2011, 02:45 AM   #41
DannySeesUSMC

I think you picked the right one between the two. If you have to get another .45 any time soon, I would maybe try the FN or one of the HK's.
Old January 24, 2011, 07:18 AM   #42
geetarman

I have both. My XDM stays in the safe and I shoot the G21.

I have had no failures with the XDM but I cannot seem to warm up to it.

Geetarman
Old January 24, 2011, 11:52 AM   #43
Tactical Jackalope

Danny, that's true...I've heard about the FN...Holds like 15? .45 rounds? Amazing, I'll check that out. I'm going to probably get the G21 after then the FN then the HK...All I know is I want the .45 of every good gunmaker lol 1911's count too (not possible) but you know what I mean

Geetarman, why haven't you warmed up to it?
Old January 24, 2011, 12:00 PM   #44
geetarman

I am not sure. I think the "spongy" trigger is part of it. I have not had a failure with it. I might have 150 rounds through it.

I go out to the safe to pick out what I am going to take to the range.

I pick that gun up. . .and put it back. I have never used the holster or the mag carriers and bought two more mags when I got the gun.

I really should sell it. I just know I will kick myself in the rear if I do.

I have a 4506 and a 5906 that I treat the same way. I just do not shoot them.

Geetarman
Old January 24, 2011, 12:14 PM   #45
Tactical Jackalope

Oh dear God why?!?!! lol come on man! With all 3 of those guns??? I keep hearing about the trigger....I'm used to the guns I have now...take a look..at my signature. They're mostly if not all are fired in single action. This gun is double action? Or like...it's soft..? Define "spongy"
Old January 24, 2011, 12:30 PM   #46
rigby06

Glock 21 or Springfield Armory XDM

For me I did not care for the grip on the Glock 21, I have a Gen 4 Glock 22, and like it very much, but the grip was a little too large for the Glock 21, I had a Springfield Armory XD tactical, just traded it on a Sig 220, I liked the XD tactical, but was a little on the heavy side for carrying, unless you were using a thigh ride holster.
Old January 24, 2011, 12:35 PM   #47
DannySeesUSMC

I like the XD triggers better than Glock triggers but have not handled/shot one of the XDm's yet. As long as it's not some gritty, 12lbs. pull you get accustomed to it and it becomes second nature.

What I've seen over the years goes along with what I've always heard from guys who run courses and have a foot in the industry, Glocks are best kept in 9mm
Old January 24, 2011, 12:35 PM   #48
geetarman

Spongy to me, means the trigger has an uncertain "break" to me. The trigger has some resistance when you take up the slack and the break is somewhat uncertain.

I have a G21 that has the 3.5 lb. trigger in it and it feels good. The reset point is clearly felt and very little movement after that before the gun goes.

My Sig Elites are the same way as are the two CZs.

I really think the problem with the XDM is it has not been shot enough.

I just went out to the safe and looked at it and there really minor wear marks on the black coating on the top of the barrel and no marks on the 4 magazines.

I even put Trijicons on it. Didn't realize that until I looked at it.

Sometimes I buy guns that I think I am going to really like, and don't.

Sometimes I buy them with an attitude that I might like it or not. That is how I ended up with the CZs. I just did not like them so much at first . But now I do. . .a lot.

I don't know what I am going to do with me. . .
Old January 25, 2011, 01:26 AM   #49
Volvoartictech

Thought I would chime in for my first post here. I have An XD45 a like it quite a bit. I fits my hand good and just feels natural. I don't have a lot of experience with the Glock but I read a TON of reviews and posts about the XD and liked what I read. The only issue I have with it right now is the right hand clip release is sticky and it is driving me nuts. Other then that all is good. Also the holster it comes with is okay for the range but it is way too uncomfortable and sticks out pretty far to be a good CCW holster. I have a Blackhawk! SERPA for my carry, the gun is bit heavy but it is a .45 double stack after all. You get used to the weight hanging on you after a bit. It is piece of mind having a high capacity cannon strapped to your side....) Good luck with you new weapon....
Old January 25, 2011, 04:08 AM   #50
Lokpyrite

I advised against the thumb saftey version because the crimson Trace for the XD 45 doesn't fit it.

Tags
.45 , glock 21 , home defense , xdm