The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 18, 2008, 01:49 PM   #1
xrocket

Crime Does Not Pay: Or You Should Have Worked On That Draw Son!

I would say this fellow got exactly what he deserved. There is something to be said for swift justice.

Man accidentally kills himself while trying to rob a Grand Prairie home 1:05 PM CT

01:05 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 18, 2008
By DAN X. McGRAW / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

A 19-year-old man accidentally shot and killed himself Tuesday morning while he was attempting to rob a Grand Prairie home, authorities said.

Cameron Sands, 19, of Fort Worth kicked in the door of the house and then shot himself in the stomach as he pulled a gun out of his pants to shoot the homeowner, Grand Prairie police said. The homeowner was not injured.

After Mr. Sands shot himself, he dropped the gun and ran out of the home. Police found his body around 5:30 a.m. in the driveway of the home in the 2800 block Garden Grove Road, said Lt. John Brimmer, a Grand Prairie police spokesman.

“This is the first that I’ve heard of a robbery suspect killing himself as he is drawing a gun out of his waist band,” Lt. Brimmer said. “The criminal evidence points to that. It certainly isn’t common.”

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner has ruled the death an accident.

Don't you just love a good ending?
Old June 18, 2008, 02:34 PM   #2
bikerbill

I guess if you have to go through a home invasion, this is the kind of guy you want to be the invader ...
Old June 18, 2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Hkmp5sd

His parents will probably sue the homeowner for not having a firearms safety chart prominently displayed in their home.
Old June 18, 2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Yithian

I have yet to find out if I have the angel over my head like this homeowner does. (knock on wood)
Always good to hear good news.

Last edited by JohnKSa; June 19, 2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Removed comment about a post that no longer exists on this particular thread...
Old June 18, 2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Odd Job

Quote:
His parents will probably sue the homeowner for not having a firearms safety chart prominently displayed in their home.
Old June 18, 2008, 08:53 PM   #6
BigDaddy

Bumbling Burglar accidentally shoots self

I had to post this. What a bonehead.

enjoy
-Dave

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - Police in Grand Prairie said a 19-year-old would-be robber from Fort Worth died after accidentally shooting himself during an early-morning break-in. A Grand Prairie police spokesman, Lt. John Brimmer, said Cameron Sands was found dead early Tuesday in the driveway of a house he'd broken into on the 2800 block of Garden Grove Road. Brimmer said it appears that sometime while trying to break in, the man shoved the small-caliber semi-automatic into his waistband and it fired, striking him in the lower abdomen. Sands then dropped the gun and ran from the home, making it as far as the driveway before he collapsed.

Brimmer said Sands was dead in the driveway when officers arrived at about 5:30 a.m. The homeowner was not injured.
Old June 18, 2008, 09:22 PM   #7
xrocket

Heads Up: Previously posted in General Discussions.
Old June 18, 2008, 10:31 PM   #8
BigDaddy

Doh!
Old June 18, 2008, 10:43 PM   #9
pgg

that is funny!!!
Old June 18, 2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Nnobby45

I'm glad he didn't trip over a kids toy and shoot himself.

There'd be a lawsuit in the works by now. Probably by his wife who'd been hiding out in a battered womens' shelter--dreading the day he found her---, but now that he's gone, wasn't such a bad guy after all and she's been deprived of her man by the negilent homeowners who didn't pick up after their toddler.

Jeez, there coulda been 500K or more in homeowners' insurance at stake and a lawyer only too eager to file the suit.

OK, I'm being facetious, and using obsurdity to illustrate the obsurdity of the system.

Saw a cops episode where a slimeball's .357 discharged while in the front of his pants (while trying to climb a fence, as I recall).

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 19, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old June 18, 2008, 11:31 PM   #11
Matt19

A burglar who makes himself a Darwin Award candidate. I like that.
Old June 19, 2008, 08:25 AM   #12
Cliff47

There's a certain poetry in that statement, Matt.
Old June 19, 2008, 08:26 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Got what he deserved.
Old June 19, 2008, 08:33 AM   #14
Keltyke

Darwin lives!
Old June 19, 2008, 09:05 AM   #15
Ruger4570

It is kind of a reverse spin on the NRA book section called the "Armed Citizen"
More bad guys should be like this.
Old June 20, 2008, 12:48 PM   #16
Derius_T

Wow...far be it from me to trivialize a mans death, but, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What a maroon..........
Old June 20, 2008, 01:53 PM   #17
Rich Miranda

Note that the report says the gun was of a small caliber. If it truly was, that makes fodder for the never-ending caliber dispute: One shot from a .25, and dead within minutes
Old June 21, 2008, 02:02 AM   #18
Bob Lee Swagger

Poor guy, he could've done better.
Old June 21, 2008, 06:39 PM   #19
LightningJoe

Quote:
His parents will probably sue the homeowner

Not in Texas.
Old June 21, 2008, 07:11 PM   #20
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
Not in Texas.
This doesn't fall under the Castle Doctrine. It was an accidental shooting and everyone knows the homeowner is liable for everything the bad guy does. Homeowners have been sued for liability when a burglar has cut themselves on broken glass while climbing through windows.
Old June 21, 2008, 08:05 PM   #21
wayneinFL

I guess some problems really do solve themselves.
Old June 21, 2008, 08:32 PM   #22
VA9mm

Darwin's theory at its finest.
Old June 22, 2008, 12:34 PM   #23
mpage

For those keeping score at home, this (adult) criminal's self-ownage is going to get added to the figures for gun-related deaths of children in 2008 compiled by the Brady Campaign, Violence Policy Center, and other anti-gun organizations.

Those groups play fast and loose with the definition of "child." For them, the category always includes people under twenty and will often stretch as far as the mid- twenties.

Keep that in mind next time you see some broad on The View or soccer mom bemoaning handgun deaths of children. The image we're supposed to think of immediately is that of an unsupervised toddler handling an improperly stored weapon. And while that does happen, a great number of firearms-related deaths of "children" are gang members taking pot shots at one another or cases like this.
Old June 24, 2008, 06:03 PM   #24
LightningJoe

Quote:
It was an accidental shooting and everyone knows the homeowner is liable for everything the bad guy does.

New one on me.
Old June 24, 2008, 07:52 PM   #25
homefires

What a Hoot! We need the rest of them to do the same! Copy Cat kinda thing!