The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old May 25, 2006, 07:50 AM   #1
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

(UK) National Knife Amnesty - The fight against knife crime

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006240126,00.html

Quote:
THIS five-foot martial arts sword capable of beheading a man was recovered by shocked cops in a house raid.

The terrifying Batleth weapon is identical to one wielded by Klingon aliens in the Star Trek sci-fi films.

Officers seized the three-handled sword — which has huge pointed blades at either end — at a home in Gloucester.

It was shown yesterday at the start of a five-week national knife amnesty. Cops hope 30,000 blades will be handed in, with owners free from prosecution.

Local Insp Mac McGarry wielded the sword, which he said had been sharpened to kill.

He said: “It is a particularly nasty weapon which could easily take someone’s head off.”

Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker launched the amnesty in St John’s Wood, North West London. He said: “We are determined to get the scourge of knife crime off our streets.”

But Victims of Crime campaigner Norman Brennan, a serving cop, branded the initiative a “futile PR stunt”.

He said: “It is likely to be supported by the law-abiding public and not those who carry knives for criminal activity.

“Knife crime will only get worse if we don’t introduce a five-year mandatory sentence for anyone carrying a knife.”

THE Queen’s grocer Fortnum & Mason was fined £2,000 by Horseferry Road Magistrates in London for selling a knife to a child under 16.
More info here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006240009,00.html

After they're taken your guns, they'll come for your knives. After they've taken your knives, they'll come for...
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old May 25, 2006, 08:58 AM   #2
TimRB

Don't forget... Europe, and especially England, is the reason America exists. As soon as people found out there was someplace they could go to get the Hell out of there, they came here in droves.

Tim
Old May 25, 2006, 10:47 AM   #3
steelheart

What's next - outlaw forks? They had better outlaw lawnmowers - you could take the blade off and use it as a cutting weapon.

Idiots.:barf:
Old May 25, 2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Te Anau

Quote:
“Knife crime will only get worse if we don’t introduce a five-year mandatory sentence for anyone carrying a knife.”
Are you kidding me? Whats next rock amnesty?:barf:
Old May 25, 2006, 10:58 AM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Whats next rock amnesty?
Nope. Farm implements.
Rich
Old May 25, 2006, 11:27 AM   #6
mete

Rich, you are quite right . Many weapons that ninjas and others use are derived from farm tools . Flails [two sticks ] tied together at one end, for example.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Doug.38PR

The English Pa'tak!!! (lowlife, scoundrel, dog) They have no honor!!!!!! We of the Klingon Empire will join with William Wallace and his Scotsman with their Claymores and mount the heads of the English parliment on the walls of our Great Hall!!!!! Shashoo, quan van shushkak (today is a good day to die) Quapla!!! (success!!!)

Old May 25, 2006, 11:59 AM   #8
Scott Conklin

I'm... I'm sorry...the Batleth is a martial arts weapon now? So Star Trek has effectively infiltrated every aspect of human society INCLUDING the knee-jerk reactions of semi-totalitarian enforcement departments?

IT'S A BLOODY MOVIE PROP YOU GENETIC MISFIRES!!!!!!

Sorry... This article has inflicted permanent mental and emotional trauma. The idea part of our world has officially gone so completely over the edge is just not something I can deal with. I must go find someone who will label me damaged so I can collect my much deserved monthly stipend...

help...

www.libertydwells.com
Old May 25, 2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Doug.38PR

Actually, I think the Bat'leth was borrowed by Star Trek from an actual martial arts weapon. I'm not 100% sure of that, but I know the d'ktag (the dagger they used all the time, such as to kill Kirk's son) was a doctored up army attack knife.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:12 PM   #10
Marko Kloos

Not exactly easy to conceal that thing, one would think. Makes it kind of useless for covert criminal activity. As for mass killings, you can kill as many (or more) by running down groups of pedestrians in a Vauxhall.

"Knife crime"...it boggles the mind.

Unless they require surgical amputation of the hands of all males aged 14 to 40, there will always be violent crime. As long as you try to control the devices and not the behavior, you're fighting a losing battle. Ban guns, they go to knives. Ban knives (as if such a ban is even enforceable, with every kitchen full of the things!), and they'll use sharpened sticks or bicycle chains or whatever else. Take all the sharp, blunt and otherwise potentially weapon-feasible things way from everyone, and people will still be able to make a fist and gang up with a dozen buddies.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:29 PM   #11
Odd Job

@ Marko Kloos

+1

That's what I've been trying to tell them for a long time now. You could give me two SMGs and a satchel full of grenades and I would still pose less threat to the well-being of the British people than any malevolent with only a knuckleduster. Its the behaviour and upbringing that counts. Nobody ever blamed spoons for Pavarotti being fat, did they?

Sometimes I really do think these guys have their heads up their collective arses.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:29 PM   #12
Baba Louie

They'd probably come unglued if they found any of these "fine" collectible Hibben's knives... (Official Klingon Armourer)
http://theknifeman.com/hibben.html
Why would any law abiding subject NEED a penknife unless to create mayhem with hooliganism in mind. Perchance to become a scaliwag.
WE MUST STOP THESE CRIMINALS NOW, before they actually, you know, commit a crime due to ownership of such horrible implements of death and destruction.
I'm waiting for rocks to be outlawed... or at the least registered.

This coming from a nation where they feel the need to differentiate between "Police" and "Armed Police". Don't all their Bobbies have arms?

Ya gotta love politicians who must DO SOMETHING but always seem to wank it up somehow.

Then again, maybe this is what they really need in Merry Olde Britian... I dunno. Here's to hoping that Germany never decides to invade their Isle again. Won't even be able to go collect halberds from museums to defend their shores. Have to revert to "Happy Slapping" their enemies.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old May 25, 2006, 12:41 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

You'll see more of this type of foolishness over there. If you frequent the knife forums you've noticed various articles on the increasing violence with belts & buckles and even ashtrays in pub altercations. Scotland is now listed as one of the more violent nations in the world. There's also a move on questioning kitchen knives with sharp points.
I enjoyed the two years I was stationed in England a long time ago & loved the people, but as long as their leaders & misguided police continue to focus on items instead of actions, the country will continue its unfortunate social decline.
Denis
Old May 25, 2006, 01:22 PM   #14
rick_reno

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Whats next rock amnesty?
Nope, they'll go over the deadly and dangerous ASSAULT SPOONS
Old May 25, 2006, 01:38 PM   #15
Leif

Set your phasers to silly.

Seriously, what do they intend to do about dirks? Don't those have particular cultural significance in Scotland?

They need to bring back the joke that kills at 100 yards.
Old May 25, 2006, 01:41 PM   #16
FirstFreedom

[shaking head] Wow, just how incredibly stupid are these people?

Quote:
THIS five-foot martial arts sword capable of beheading a man was recovered by shocked cops in a house raid.

The terrifying Batleth weapon is identical to one wielded by Klingon aliens in the Star Trek sci-fi films.
This is so ridiculous it's almost laughable.... the awkwardness with which that 'weapon' must be wielded is such that it would be one of the LAST blades of choice for a quick, effective beheading, and an infinitely poorer choice than an ordinary long sword. It's only LOOKS scary, which is WHY is was used in the Star Trek flicks - which is a work of FICTION, folks. I really am starting to think that guns with pink flowers painted on them will actually convince Britons that they're harmless, since looks is the only criterion - no brainpower need apply.
Old May 25, 2006, 02:31 PM   #17
Battler

It's NOT the leadership.

Get in a discussion of such matters with a Brit some time. (No offense to any here but) they're generally very supportive of such things. They are s**tscared of anything - scary (i.e. weapon), and view someone who plans the use of one in defense to be a scourge on society.

Last edited by TheBluesMan; May 25, 2006 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Unnecessary epithet
Old May 25, 2006, 02:40 PM   #18
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Sadly true.

Anyone seen the cool little HideAway Knife?

Well I came upon a discussion in a manufacturing forum; started by HideAway's designer, a female victim of violent crime. Note well the immediate response of Alistair, the resident Scot:

Quote:
That is one lethal looking piece of metal whats it for? does not look like its for cutting birthday cake.You would not be able to buy something like that( thank God) in UK, and why does it need to be hidden easily? or concealed easily. It look as though its "designed for trouble" to me sorry not impressed with the idea although it's beatifully made .Alistair
Read the thread and see how his arguments grow from there.

Sadly, while the attitude is prevalent in much of Western Europe, it's also growing here.
Rich
Old May 25, 2006, 03:26 PM   #19
Mikeyboy

Quote:
The English Pa'tak!!! (lowlife, scoundrel, dog) They have no honor!!!!!! We of the Klingon Empire will join with William Wallace and his Scotsman with their Claymores and mount the heads of the English parliment on the walls of our Great Hall!!!!! Shashoo, quan van shushkak (today is a good day to die) Quapla!!! (success!!!)
Doug...your letting your geek flag fly knowing the name of that Klingon thing. I'm kind of disappointed it was not some cool medieval axe or sword from the region and not some hollywood prop...what is with the UK hoodlum today???
Old May 25, 2006, 03:58 PM   #20
Battler

Rich, what an interesting thread.

Seeing the evolution of the Hideawayknife (why don't I have one yet?) interleaved with the stereotypical brit-fairy calling it "bad" is priceless.

"We have the right to live without these weapons" <-- This is a very interesting spin to put on lost liberty. Take notes, gents.
Old May 25, 2006, 04:17 PM   #21
FirstFreedom

Thanks, Rich, I'm gonna register to get in on that fight - Alistair is quite possibly the stupidest individual who is nevertheless literate in the civilized world.
Old May 25, 2006, 04:32 PM   #22
Scott Conklin

I read it. I feel more brain cells leaping to their demise even as I write this. You WILL be dumber if you go there, once Alistair is done with you. I am ever more thankful to be Irish, though I may have to change my first name now...

www.libertydwells.com
Old May 25, 2006, 05:00 PM   #23
Rich Lucibella
Staff

FF-
I wish you hadn't done that. I'd hate to think that I was inciting the trolling of another board. While your post there is hardly a troll, I don't know that there's anything you can add to General G's final words to Alistair in the matter:
Quote:
Ah shaddap and get back to yer street corner you little butt-Smurf.
Bwa-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha

Back to the HideAway: we just featured this knife in the June SWAT issue. I immediately ordered one and I have to say, they are damned well interesting. It's very much a weapon for a grapple situation and you'd best be prepared to inflict serious damage; at those ranges, you have zero choice but to win the escalation-of-force contest that you initiate.

I highly suggest you invest in SouthNarc's Training Video available on the website. The sound quality is horrendous, but the overall training is worth the cost.
Rich
Old May 25, 2006, 05:20 PM   #24
MeekAndMild

I know how the Brits can stop their terrible epidemic of rape! And in doing the confiscations they can start with Parliment and the queen's household.

BTW, the knife in question looks a bit unweildy, unless of course its made of high density foam plastic.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old May 25, 2006, 05:47 PM   #25
TheFacts

Can`t we just nuke Great Britain for being incredible annoying (the queen and her inbreds, bobbys, bad food, bad teeth, Hugh Grant)D. Oh wait I forgot, they`re supposed to be our allies.

Curiosity yields evolution...satiety yields extinction.